PDA

View Full Version : tein basic damper suspension

thorlio
07-07-2008, 09:26 AM
ok... so yea.. i did it the hard way. bought the springs first, the car was horrible.. it seems like it hit the bottom every time i go over a small bump or something. then i went and bought the tokico shock/strut. didn't do n e difference. same thing, bottoming out. Now i wanna buy something that would fix this problem. i was reading around and i might get some tein basic damper, BUT will it positively solve it, or am i wasting that 1000 dollars like the springs and shocks....? someone said they might have cut my springs thats why its hitting so hard. i have no idea wat they did. but... can someone help? or any setup that will atleast help my car. i hate how it is right now.

theyb
07-07-2008, 09:39 AM
i went with mugen ss since i would not want to change the height.

im pretty sure it will solve your problem,

a bit pricey , but is well worth it in my opinion.

thorlio
07-07-2008, 09:41 AM
how low is it

ep_hatcher_510
07-07-2008, 09:41 AM
You can get some d spec sturts paired with good springs, which will cost less than 1k.

if your going to spend that much on tein basics you might as well get progress coilovers or even the megans coils.

thorlio
07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
wat are some sites i could order from?

ep_hatcher_510
07-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I like Corsportusa or showstoppersusa, both never gave me any issues while ordering with them.

thorlio
07-07-2008, 10:08 AM
the d spec dont come with springs? how about the skunk 2 coilvers?

EP_404349
07-07-2008, 01:41 PM
i had the tein basic before and it rides well but i would recommend going with the ss if you have the money. I never ran the ss, I jumped to the flex and loved it. the flex is harsh for every day use but you get use to it. the mugen ss is a great choice too but you got to ask youself what you want to do with the car, track? only for looks? everyday?

T_Virus
07-07-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm riding on Tein Basics and so far they are really good for dd...If you want, I could sell it to you for +$800 and I'm in the same city as you...lol...

***Jerry...looking towards the Flex...***

bigo711
07-07-2008, 05:10 PM
i had the tein basic before and it rides well but i would recommend going with the ss if you have the money. I never ran the ss, I jumped to the flex and loved it. the flex is harsh for every day use but you get use to it. the mugen ss is a great choice too but you got to ask youself what you want to do with the car, track? only for looks? everyday?

I agree, the Flex is harsh for everyday use. But when I took it to autocross, everything was worth the price.

For daily driver, I highly recommend you look at the spring rate before you buy them. Spring rate like Flex is too harsh for street use. (12K/ 14K)

The following is what I researched about different brands of coilovers when i was shopping for one.

Megan racing: my friend has problem with his (not on EP). Everything was installed by professional mechanic and double checked. Somehow, the height does stay still. ie, after a while, the height increases.

T1R coilover: Not sure about the ones in market now. However, my friend use to have the T1R coilover PROTOTYPE. They have the same problem as megan (the height increases after a while). He thought it was his imagination at first.

Tein: some ppl think it's overpriced. I bought it cus my mechanic friend recommended quality of tein. Most of the cases, I heard they hold up pretty well. I said most b/c no matter what brand, there is always some defects in the market. This is why i went with Tein. I was mainly shopping for "reliability." I care more about reliability. So far, I havent had problem with the flex at all (except spring rate is high for steet). I am only on 2000km tho.

Buddyclub: I really like them, but i didnt get it. This will be my second choice.

Progress: from reading people's comment on progress, they are good for the price, but I think they are discontinued.

Skunk2: no exprience, but they are too harsh for street, so I didnt look into them.

D2: didnt bother researching b/c it isnt a reputable company anyways.
Function and Form: looks like they are same as D2 racing, so i didnt research them.

I hope these info will help you decide what to get.
I think Tein basic will solve your problem if you dont lower it too much.
If you wanna lower more, I suggest other options that's "FULL LENGTH ADJUSTABLE" (ie, something like Flex that doesnt change shock body travel)

J-ROC
07-07-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm gonna try just springs for now eibach or skunk 2 not sure which yet.

ep_hatcher_510
07-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Megan racing: my friend has problem with his (not on EP). Everything was installed by professional mechanic and double checked. Somehow, the height does stay still. ie, after a while, the height increases.

Thats a downside to having that type of coilover, the collar that locks the hub bracket breaks loose once there is enough vibration or movement to move it. Megan, Tein, BC, and other types like that has been reported to have this problem, although only a small amount of people have it. I did and it was annoying as hell, but it tends to stay put after a few times tightening it back up.

dcmpbl
07-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I wonder what type of springs the OP started out with....doesn't seem right that you will have a smoother ride with coilovers vs. spring/strut combo....

ep_hatcher_510
07-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Actually you be surprised how smooth some full coilovers are.

PAPITUYO326
07-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Ive had D2s for the better part of 4 years. They are not as bad as people say. My shocks are however frozen now, with zero damper adjst.

If I could go back, I would get a set of Bilsteins or Konis and match them with a set of solid springs. Some ground controls would be pimp.

PM Mustclime, he knows his shit.

b.r.i.a.n.
07-08-2008, 08:26 AM
i've had tein basics for over 2 years now. they're ok for daily driving. i've had them start squeaking on two occassions but some wd-40 took care of that. if i were to look into a setup for auto-x i'd just go with a good shock and spring combo.