PDA

View Full Version : 3M Tape not working?? What can I do??

SD_smrk1
07-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I have bought 04-05 side skirts for my car and installed them both correctly with the screws in the front fender and the 3M (Red) DST, and the two clips for under the car. The passenger side has stayed on and is tight to the car and has lasted two washings so im guessing that one is good to go.

The driver side is where the problem lies. I have installed it twice now??!!:(
I installed it the eact same way was the other side, but for some reason the tape is not grabbing to the car.

Is there a way to make it grab to the car better?(The area where the tape is going is clean) Is there something else that I could try besides 3m tape? Do I need to do something that Im missing to make it stick better?
Please help!!

Thanks in advance....

BaLisTek
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
3m Adhesion Promoter pads will probably help

MR.Pizza
07-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I second that, adhesion promoter will do the trick.

SD_smrk1
07-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Can you get that at any hardware store you do you have to order it? what do you do with it?

Thanks guys

sidriverep3
07-09-2008, 12:04 AM
ive used the tape and it never worked, now i just have a small metal bracket on the rear end of the skirt screwed into the wheel well tab. adhesion promoter didnt help mine. i was re taping like every month. anoying when u spend so much on nice stuff and it just falls off...lol

adam

02TaffySi
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
If you prep it right then 3M products should work.

Clean the car surface VERY WELL, with soap and water, then add the 3M adhesive promoter. Try wearing latex/nitrile gloves to prevent oil and other contaminates from touching the surfaces that will come into contact with the tape then put the side skirt on.

If that doesn't work then I don't know what will.....good luck!

powdbyrice
07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Can you get that at any hardware store you do you have to order it? what do you do with it?

Thanks guys

i think duplicolor makes some and they sell it at kragen.

powdbyrice
07-09-2008, 11:52 AM
this is what i did:
http://home.comcast.net/~powdbyrice/DSC03588.JPG

materials used:
- water heater strap (like $2 at hardware store)
- nuts, washers, bolts
- touch up paint

1) cut a piece of water heater strap (~1.5") that would fit over skirt and fender lip
2) painted strap, washers and nut head
3) drilled holes in skirt and fender lip
4) bent strap slightly so it would sit flush against skirt and lip

oogy-boogy
07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
If you prep it right then 3M products should work.

Clean the car surface VERY WELL, with soap and water, then add the 3M adhesive promoter. Try wearing latex/nitrile gloves to prevent oil and other contaminates from touching the surfaces that will come into contact with the tape then put the side skirt on.

If that doesn't work then I don't know what will.....good luck!

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's all about prep. Use some Dawn degreasing dish detergent prior to the promoter. Mine were on for over a year when I sold it.

SD_smrk1
07-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow.. okay lots of things to try. Thank you guys for sharing I was getting scared that I was going just to have to take them off....

POWDBYRICE, did you add any of the 3m double sided tape as well, so that i didnt come of and sit flush or just bolted it on?

Will def go try the gloves, dawn soap and promoter

hmmmm kragen, ight the one place i didnt go.. sweet.. thanks again guys appreciate it.

powdbyrice
07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
i have the flat clips with 3m tape on them. i can tell that some came off already. mainly where i've kicked the sideskirt as ive gotten out of the car. lol.

i only have 6? on each side rather than the full 11 or 12 that it takes.

i got the promoter in the paint department.
http://www.autobarndeals.com/catalog/dupcp199.jpg

SD_smrk1
07-09-2008, 03:50 PM
okay... thanks, i am about to get that and try the strap if this stuff dosnet work for me...

SD_smrk1
07-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Alright cleaned the are really well, i used some government strength alcohol(hahaha) its de-somehting alcohol.. worked really well and some other house hold products. i cleaned the 3m tape that was on there and added some more to it and some extra strips here and there where it matters mainly on the back half of the side. It stuck like a champ. I didnt have to use the spray, som im returning it and getting my 20 dollars back. Thanks for all the advice guys. hopefully this thread will still be usefull in the future for whom ever..

oogy-boogy
07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Glad to hear all is well.

si4life
07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
im going to have to do this to my hfp side skirts. passenger side is sliding down. =(

SD_smrk1
07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
make sure to clean it like said above... that was the trick for me and even the guy at the auto parts store said the same thing the only way for it to work really good is to clean with alcohol and dawn soap...
"do a half ass jon and get half ass results." - some smart relavist

Madeinjapan
07-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Another thing ive found to really help promote the adhesion of 3m is to heat up the tape while you are applying it.

HmongBoi-Si
09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Velcro that skirt its what i did its on the car with no gap and its been through 4 car wash already n still holding up.

JDMtunerEP3
09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
3m adhesive promoter pads work everytime!

Anytime before i slap a molding on i use adhesive promoter and it's like concrete.

Never have any come backs at work either using them before i put a molding or lip on!

liquid cooled
09-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Velcro that skirt its what i did its on the car with no gap and its been through 4 car wash already n still holding up.

FAIL, you should really sell your ep because that is cruel and unusual punishment. 3m adhesion promoter pads are great to have also.

HmongBoi-Si
09-09-2008, 07:53 PM
what you mean fail. its worked for me if you want proof i'll take pictures. don't start posting shit about this and that alright. i wasn't doubting the 3m products ok its just that i'm just putting out option out there for others so don't complain. if your just leaving your skirts hanging with a gap thats cruel and unusual.

icarus.na
09-09-2008, 08:09 PM
the velcro idea is a lil ghetto that's all...

anyone can come along and take it off...the idea of the 3m tape is it's double sided, weatherproof, and holds firmly so nothing can fuck with it.

but hey, i'm glad the velcro has worked for you...as long as you, the owner, are happy with it then there's no problem!

liquid cooled
09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
the velcro idea is a lil ghetto that's all...

Thats a lot ghetto.

icarus.na
09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Thats a lot ghetto.

LOL, i know, but i didn't want to say it!

minivan_assassin
09-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Got to use the adhesion promoter correctly, too. It needs to dry for about 5 minutes.

You have your sideskirt held on ENTIRELY by velcro?? Someone's going to gank that shit. :meek:

skoo74
09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
velcro works if the lip is bolted on properly... btw the OEM/HFP wing uses velcro (industrial strenght of course)

if thieves want it, trust me, theyll get it regardless of what you use... unless the lip is bondo-ed on.. lol

HmongBoi-Si
09-10-2008, 04:17 PM
yes you can say its ghetto but who can tell from the looks. its on the car showing no gap so who would know and yes skoo74 is right regardless of what you use people can still steal it so why bother saying this over that.

HmongBoi-Si
09-10-2008, 04:24 PM
to liquid cooled you can say all the shit you wanna say i don't care. i just want you to know that the shit i use maybe ghetto but the outcome looks like a good deed and done right so you can just shut it

oogy-boogy
09-11-2008, 05:07 AM
How about everyone shuts it. Keep it civil.

minivan_assassin
09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm just the paranoid type. If people know it's velcro'd on they might be more incline to give stealing it a shot. The question is how it'll hold up two years from now. Hope it works out. I'm thinking about using velcro at the top part of the fin to keep it flush, but the rest will be sticky clips.

I've had my type-r kit for quite a while now. Just took the sideskirts off in an attempt to make the fin sit more flush. I can vouch for the sticking power of the sticky clips. Those bastards are hell to get off.

SmoothEPs
03-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Try 3M heavy duty...