PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Modifications, Alignment Specs & Tire Size

spydur
07-07-2008, 03:38 PM
My stock 04 with 21K on the clock is about to receive new D-Specs and Progress springs. I have these questions:

(1) Has anyone had personal experience with Energy Suspension bushings? Should I install the Energy Suspension master bushing kit on my EP 3?;

(2) What alignment specs should I use?

(3) Can I safely install 225 50 high performance all season tires on my stock 6.5" wheels without encountering some clearance/rubbing issues, (the 205's and the 225's have almost the same diameter, it's the additional width of the 225's and mounting a 225 on a 6.5" width rim that I am concerned about)?

Thanks from Tulsa
SPYDUR

S A I L - O N

ep_hatcher_510
07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
i have no personal experience wit the es bushings, but changing those out will be an big improvement.

bigo711
07-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I didnt change bushings b/c my car is DD and bushings give vibration to the car. I don't want excess vibration on DD
Your suspension setup with good alignment should be good enough already for DD and occasionally autoX.

for alignment spec, i highly recommend getting some front camber bolts and rear camber kit.

I use 2 degree camber front, 1 degree camber rear. 0.05 degree toe out rear
From my personal experience, this is a easy to drive, yet fun, setting for street use. Anything more extreme would probably be too difficult to handle safely on street by novice driver like me.

i am not sure whether 225 on 6.5 will be okay, but i am sure it's not the best combination.
Again, for DD, I would stick with 205/55/16 because of the gas price!
Upgrading 205 to 225 would harm your gas mileage

spydur
07-07-2008, 05:32 PM
bigo771 - Thanks for your comments. you got me thinking.

As to the bushings, I was of the opinion that the Energy Suspension bushings were designed for the street and not the track. Therefore, excess vibration should not be a problem for a daily driver, but I am definately going to do some more research! As to the 205's vrs 225's, these tires are the same diameter but the 225's weighs approximately 3 lbs. more and the additional width does increase drag which decreases mpg. As to the alignment, are camber bolts and a rear camber kit necessary if I going down only 1.5" front and back with the Progress springs.

mustclime
07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
ES is one of the best mods you can do to the car....Had them in for over 2 years, just keep them lubed and they are great....

bigo711
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
bigo771 - Thanks for your comments. you got me thinking.

As to the bushings, I was of the opinion that the Energy Suspension bushings were designed for the street and not the track. Therefore, excess vibration should not be a problem for a daily driver, but I am definately going to do some more research! As to the 205's vrs 225's, these tires are the same diameter but the 225's weighs approximately 3 lbs. more and the additional width does increase drag which decreases mpg. As to the alignment, are camber bolts and a rear camber kit necessary if I going down only 1.5" front and back with the Progress springs.

you would still need the camber bolts and rear camber kit if you want more adjustability.
IN MY CASE, when i had prokit + stock damper, i was only able to get about 0.70 camber front before installing adjustable camber bolts.
And for my rear, I wasnt able to adjust it to 1.00 degree before camber kit.