PDA

View Full Version : Megan=Mugen+bad spelling?

dichotomous
07-08-2008, 09:00 AM
I see on here and ebay all over the place "megan racing" is this just idiots who can't figure out how to spell Mugen, or is there a company called that, and if so, are they quality?

FoReVaPmP
07-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I see on here and ebay all over the place "megan racing" is this just idiots who can't figure out how to spell Mugen, or is there a company called that, and if so, are they quality?

Megan is a company..... they make test pipes for the K-series....

Chazwick05
07-08-2008, 09:02 AM
lol, it's an actual company.

megan racing have been referred to "ebay" prodcuts, but some of their stuff isn't that bad.

ask fico, he swears by the brand.

27rocks
07-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I have their coilovers and their not that bad. I would almost say they are better then Tein Flex's. I had both...

Key words here are "not that bad" :mbiggrin:

civsirmt
07-08-2008, 09:29 AM
yep a real company, i have had their header and test pipe combo good quality they were nice and could not beat the price.

showoff3civic
07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
the quality is about as good as skunk2 ... i wouldent buy either

Gargola
07-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I have their coilovers and their not that bad. I would almost say they are better then Tein Flex's. I had both...

Key words here are "not that bad" :mbiggrin:

"Not that bad" but still bad?

blackout
07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
the quality is about as good as skunk2 ... i wouldent buy either

False. Skunk2 does R&D on all the products. and they ARE better than Megan racing.

03Si757
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Iv heard pretty good things about there new Race Header, matter fact no one can keep them in stock, I have a Megan racing EP3 Axel Back and I absolutly love it. Also thinking about trying there Coilovers, cant beat the features it has for the price.

showoff3civic
07-08-2008, 10:07 AM
False. Skunk2 does R&D on all the products. and they ARE better than Megan racing.

doesnt matter when your quality is shit... after the springs broke on the coilovers, welds broke on the exhaust, resignator broke inside the exhaust, and the skunk2 cams having tct issues i say there quality isn't top notch like they used to be.

03Si757
07-08-2008, 10:11 AM
doesnt matter when your quality is shit... after the springs broke on the coilovers, welds broke on the exhaust, resignator broke inside the exhaust, and the skunk2 cams having tct issues i say there quality isn't top notch like they used to be.

Id say you have bad luck like me my friend :israel:

showoff3civic
07-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Id say you have bad luck like me my friend :israel:

I will stick with mugen, blueprint, injen, and of course honda :mbiggrin:

EP_404349
07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
i have friends that work for megan and just put it this way, i would never run megan on my car even though I have hook-ups... they only blew up because their products are cheap and well i believe everyone agrees, building a project car isn't cheap so people will buy whatever they can afford and if there's a company that's going to be selling something for a cheap price then people will buy it... we all heard this before, "you get what you pay for"... their product is "not bad" but like i said you would never see any megan parts on my car... just my 2 cents

03Si757
07-08-2008, 10:45 AM
i have friends that work for megan and just put it this way, i would never run megan on my car even though I have hook-ups... they only blew up because their products are cheap and well i believe everyone agrees, building a project car isn't cheap so people will buy whatever they can afford and if there's a company that's going to be selling something for a cheap price then people will buy it... we all heard this before, "you get what you pay for"... their product is "not bad" but like i said you would never see any megan parts on my car... just my 2 cents

I agree on the "you get what you pay for" but some things arnt worth the $$$ they cost.

ep_hatcher_510
07-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Everybody has their own description of what is "good" but Megan is good, not bad, the same goes for any other brand out, even top of the line, nothing is perfect.

EPandaman29
07-08-2008, 11:18 AM
i have megan coilovers and havent had a problem with them...

27rocks
07-08-2008, 11:21 AM

+2 Never had one problem with them but i wish they went a tiny bit lower.

blackout
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Wow, thats some seriously bad luck! I've had several skunk2 parts, never one single issue or problem ever.

ep_hatcher_510
07-08-2008, 02:08 PM

my buddy had the sk2 coil sleeves on his celica, which also broke in half.

!@#$%
07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
The race headers and coilovers are good units. I don't think I'd consider any of their other products.

The rsx app track coilover WILL be my next major mod. They are the only ones that set the spring rates the way a fwd car should have. (Higher in the rear on the track model)

66elwood99
07-08-2008, 06:22 PM
I purchased the test pipe for a short term fix, until I get a Race Header, haven't had any issues with it...knocks on wood :mangel:

civictype_r04
07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
I have there test pipe and I love it.

v1c10us
07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
In response to whoever said they dont do research and development, they are the only company I know of who has used a straight arm for the coilovers for our cars. I mean all they had to do was get on a forum like this for 5 minutes to figure out that its a big problem, but thats quality to me.
I think their stuff is pretty good, I wouldn't buy cams if they made them or internal engine components, but the rest of it doesnt seem so bad.

clutch797
07-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I have the test and mid pipe and love them.

SIck03
07-08-2008, 08:13 PM
i have numerous megan parts and love em

powdbyrice
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
In response to whoever said they dont do research and development, they are the only company I know of who has used a straight arm for the coilovers for our cars. I mean all they had to do was get on a forum like this for 5 minutes to figure out that its a big problem, but thats quality to me.
I think their stuff is pretty good, I wouldn't buy cams if they made them or internal engine components, but the rest of it doesnt seem so bad.

thats a "feature", not quality.

i'm sure they would make the arm point down if it meant they would sell more units.

27rocks
07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
thats a "feature", not quality.

i'm sure they would make the arm point down if it meant they would sell more units.

It might be a "feature" but its the right way... and for them to actually go ahead and build them like that means that they actually took the time to fix some of the common problems our cars have when lowerd :mwink:

!@#$%
07-09-2008, 11:04 AM
The axleback seems to be very good too.

Megan's track coilovers are the only ones that come with the proper spring rates. All other companies have higher spring rates in the front instead of the rear.

powdbyrice
07-09-2008, 11:15 AM
It might be a "feature" but its the right way... and for them to actually go ahead and build them like that means that they actually took the time to fix some of the common problems our cars have when lowerd :mwink:

how many people on this site REALLY know what bumpsteer is or have truely experienced it vs *thinking* they have because everyone talks about it?

buy more megan coilovers cause they fix bumpsteer even though you dont know what it is! :rofl:

dofu2
07-09-2008, 11:20 AM
I can understand not buying safety related parts from any company like Megan, but for the price, their exhaust products are great... I can't find any way to justify spending 1000+ for metal piping... if the welds were that bad, we'd know not to buy it.

Strife
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Megan isn't a bad company, I know people who've had their products for quite some time. But you should also keep into mind that you get what you pay for.

Heitzke
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
The axleback seems to be very good too.

Megan's track coilovers are the only ones that come with the proper spring rates. All other companies have higher spring rates in the front instead of the rear.

*cough* Junk2 11.7k f/7.8k r

Megan street ep.......8k f/10k r

Megan street dc5.....10k f/12k r

Magan track dc5.......12k f/16k r

Rates are courtesy of Mustclime.

It's easy to hate on Megan since their quality was crap when they first started making parts, but IMO, they've come a long way and have introduced some good parts. A number of people have used their coilovers on this forum and haven't had any problems.

Besides, when the Megan coilovers came out, they had the raised steering arm just like everyone else, but adapted their design to work better in our (DC5 too) individual case. Props to them for making a coilover that actually helps our bumpsteer and steering rack issues.

ep_hatcher_510
07-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Also you can order shocks, springs, as well as other parts from them which you can easily rebuild the coilovers yourself.

powdbyrice
07-09-2008, 11:39 AM
kinda but not really related:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=17988752

enough to make your brain explode.

ep_hatcher_510
07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
That was a lot of shit to look at, some of those looks pretty blinging.

Bobster3825
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Personally I wouldn't put Megan products on my car... But I have heard decent things about their coilovers and Midpipes.... But still

Bobby

powdbyrice
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
That was a lot of shit to look at, some of those looks pretty blinging.

coilovers in any color you want!

jjermzz
07-09-2008, 02:08 PM

Try those megan coilovers in Lawrence, MA. You got smooth street in cali, Not here sir.

Heitzke
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
kinda but not really related:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=17988752

enough to make your brain explode.

Sweet link.

Okay Guys, I will pipe in.

They are the SAME coilovers. Bor-Chuann (Taiwan) produces the same coilovers for both Apexi and Megan.

There is NO difference, besides different stickers being slapped on at their factory.

I think the difference was psychological, but nothing more.

I dont understand why people can't accept the fact that a factory produces parts for other manufacturers.

I will take it one step further, and tell you that Bor-Chuann produces coilovers for more Japanese companies than just Apexi. (Food for thought.)

They are considered to be the top quality coilover manufacturer in Taiwan. (Although I have another company I think ranks equally.)

The valving is different on the Megan Track models, but Bor-Chuann has recommended them for race use only, as they are ultra stiff.

Just a few weeks ago, I had a customer ask to return his track models, as he said they were killing his back driving around the pot hole infested Tennessee roads. He went to the streets, and is ultra happy now.

Gotta run, but good to see you on here Sizzoo.

tallblondkid
07-09-2008, 02:27 PM
megan is not a bad company what so ever. actually a good company. especially when it comes to customer service... and as for the parts: i have not put any megan parts on my car, but i do plan on getting the coilovers... my closest friends, 1 DC5, 2 S2K's, all have megan coilovers and have not had a single problem and can only say good things about them, and this is 2+ years on these cars. i do know someone that have their carbon fiber titainium uni muffler and the titanium tip came off twice, rivets just broke loose... but they were good about replacing it for free.

!@#$%
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm going to love the track setup if I can ever get the IRS in check. I still haven't recieved my normal tax money.

Rep
07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Had a megan header and exhaust. Both aged very quickly.

03Si757
07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
megan is not a bad company what so ever. actually a good company. especially when it comes to customer service... and as for the parts: i have not put any megan parts on my car, but i do plan on getting the coilovers... my closest friends, 1 DC5, 2 S2K's, all have megan coilovers and have not had a single problem and can only say good things about them, and this is 2+ years on these cars. i do know someone that have their carbon fiber titainium uni muffler and the titanium tip came off twice, rivets just broke loose... but they were good about replacing it for free.

Ya, I have a paper that came with my Megan Axel back for my EP that has a "No-Hassel Customer service" phone number to support there lifetime warranty

oldskoofame
07-09-2008, 03:55 PM
As far as I know, you guys all spend money on buying fake stuff anyways,

fake wheels, cheap lug nuts, lowballing on sale forums, ebay strut bars, fake shift knobs, fake bride seats, fake recaro seats.

so why are you guys talking about megaracing again?

oldskoofame
07-09-2008, 03:57 PM
*cough* Junk2 11.7k f/7.8k r

Megan street ep.......8k f/10k r

Megan street dc5.....10k f/12k r

Magan track dc5.......12k f/16k r

Rates are courtesy of Mustclime.

It's easy to hate on Megan since their quality was crap when they first started making parts, but IMO, they've come a long way and have introduced some good parts. A number of people have used their coilovers on this forum and haven't had any problems.

Besides, when the Megan coilovers came out, they had the raised steering arm just like everyone else, but adapted their design to work better in our (DC5 too) individual case. Props to them for making a coilover that actually helps our bumpsteer and steering rack issues.

their parts were fine. they just hired the wrong staff to put the products out there. They mis informed alot of the customers and so their products had a bad reputation.

the majority of the people who buy these don't know how to take care of them. You can easily tell by looking through the suspension forums & people asking for all sorts of help - not alot of people here are the best mechanics / engineerers.

These companies such as D2, Function & Form, Meganracing, or whatever else just started business can't do any much better. The Honda / Acura market is super competitive. What's worse is the economy.

It's just like T1R back in the days. They were just starting and small. Now they are big on honda / acura parts & going big on titanium parts. They all started from the bottom. It's all about the staff and how they put the product information out there.

Kodeen
07-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Had a megan header and exhaust. Both aged very quickly.

What do you mean by 'aged'?

Rep
07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
What do you mean by 'aged'?
The header I had, had significant rust on the welds and the top of the runners. Also the "lovely" Megan "drift spec" exhaust I had was also rusting at the flanges when I took it off after about 2-3 months of very light use. I was THRILLED to go back to stock. Also, the megan exhaust I had condensed at the flanges considerably in diameter. I went cheap because I just did a swap. I'd have been better going open header and just saving my money.

I really don't understand the Megan phenomenon. It was junk for me. All the megan parts I bought were new and well-kept, which anyone who has seen any of my cars and agree.

For those that go the Megan path, best of luck, hope it goes better for you guys than it did for me.

Heitzke
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
their parts were fine. they just hired the wrong staff to put the products out there. They mis informed alot of the customers and so their products had a bad reputation.

Ehhh, I don't know. I was mostly referring to the first parts I saw they made for the EP, which were those terrible testpipes that broke on tons of people. Then again, lots of people have those shitty DCRH's too....

twisted
07-09-2008, 07:41 PM
i have the Megan "drift spec" exhaust and i love it

not to loud looks good and i haved alot of exhaust and to me it holds up the same as all of them

04cvcsi
07-10-2008, 12:04 AM
the megan axleback i just installed was damn near flawless -- excellent welding and fitment

riceboy075
07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
yep he doesnt shop on ebay enough

tallblondkid
07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
The header I had, had significant rust on the welds and the top of the runners. Also the "lovely" Megan "drift spec" exhaust I had was also rusting at the flanges when I took it off after about 2-3 months of very light use. I was THRILLED to go back to stock. Also, the megan exhaust I had condensed at the flanges considerably in diameter. I went cheap because I just did a swap. I'd have been better going open header and just saving my money.

I really don't understand the Megan phenomenon. It was junk for me. All the megan parts I bought were new and well-kept, which anyone who has seen any of my cars and agree.

For those that go the Megan path, best of luck, hope it goes better for you guys than it did for me.

rusty welds and flanges are fairly normal... Would you say APexi makes good quality products? i have an apexi N1 for 2 years on my last car. There was a hole in the back of the muffler when i took it off, and all flanges were rusty... they dont use stainless steel for the flanges, and most companies dont

ep_hatcher_510
07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Also depends on where you live, over here in cali all my parts are in top shape still, or was still in top shape when i took it off, but probably different for a place the snows and rains a lot.

dofu2
08-12-2008, 03:04 AM
If you guys want to talk about Megan Coilover quality, keep in mind that they do not build the coilovers in house. They most likely have a Taiwan suspension manufacturer building the coilovers to their specs. Most likely the same as D2 and all the other Taiwanese suspension names. Hell, it might even be the same manufacturer that Tein uses...

ep_hatcher_510
08-12-2008, 03:55 AM
Megans are made in Taiwan by Bor Chuan, same as BC racing. They also make stuff for other companies including tein, stance, megan racing, apex-i, maybe buddy club also. Some of the best known brands outsource their parts to taiwan. But many companies will design a product and have it made to certain specifications. Meaning they give a company the design and specifications of materials and have them create the final products based on how much they invest. Two completely different quality products can come out of the same factory depending on how much they pay for materials and QA and in turn that higher cost is passed to the consumer........

RJEP
08-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Megan's not that bad. Had a test pipe, megan shorty, rear lower tie bar. they all worked and performed great. But I agree with those who say they wouldn't buy any engine components like cams. I think I had their intake at one point but was not happy with it. plus it wasn't carb legal.

Like all car products and vendors, they have their good parts and their not so good parts.

nizmoluvep3
08-12-2008, 08:58 AM
whether its megan or mugen just depends on the individual- a lot of the guys on here vouch that megan is a decent product for the price- best bang for the buck, most of the time people pay for the name :mrolleyes:

ep_hatcher_510
08-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Megan is far from crap or else i would not be running them myself, but they just wont be as good other high end companies like say blistiens.

If you guys want to talk about Megan Coilover quality, keep in mind that they do not build the coilovers in house. They most likely have a Taiwan suspension manufacturer building the coilovers to their specs. Most likely the same as D2 and all the other Taiwanese suspension names. Hell, it might even be the same manufacturer that Tein uses...

Actually D2 is a separate company from the one that makes Megan. but both companies are within a close range or each other. D2 makes coilovers for K-Sport and or used to for Function and Form i believe.

dofu2
08-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Actually D2 is a separate company from the one that makes Megan. but both companies are within a close range or each other. D2 makes coilovers for K-Sport and or used to for Function and Form i believe.

Thanks for the info... my next suspension is going to be built to custom specs...

.colin
08-12-2008, 07:14 PM
ask fico, he swears by the brand.

thanks asshole, i was eating goldfish and i just spit them all over the screen from laughing

EP3_U_SEE
08-13-2008, 12:41 AM
megan only good for cheap parts..... you can help but to buy some really cheap parts.

03Si757
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
megan only good for cheap parts..... you can help but to buy some really cheap parts.

Half the stuff people buy are over priced and over hyped parts to begin with. Because the price is less means the price is crappier? Think about it. Look at gas, it all comes from the same source, but because one place charges more then the other, does that make the cheaper gas worse? It has not been proven. All I have to say is for the price of the Megan equipment. Im willing to gamble. I got the Megan Axle back on my car and I love it. Best looking aftermarket piece iv gotten (as far as exhaust) Looks better quality then the OEM 05-06 DC5 Midpipe.

dofu2
08-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I went through 2 sets of test pipes by Megan Racing... But I also cracked two sets of quality, namebrand (and expensive) high flow cats... but I need to add that the expensive high flow cats took at least a few months to crack where the Megan test pipes didn't even last a week and a half.

03Si757
08-13-2008, 05:01 PM
I went through 2 sets of test pipes by Megan Racing... But I also cracked two sets of quality, namebrand (and expensive) high flow cats... but I need to add that the expensive high flow cats took at least a few months to crack where the Megan test pipes didn't even last a week and a half.

Look into how your driving your car...