PDA

View Full Version : knock, knock...

EP3driver
07-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Not sure if this is a suspension issue...I am driving straight and once a while I hear these thuds under the front console area or passenger seat area. I can feel something hitting from uder the car, but I got under the car and checked the cat and other stuff and I cannot replicate the problem. Anyone had this happen before? It hits 4-6 times and goes away for 15 minutes or more before it happens again. First noticed it last night after the car was parked 5 days. Any ideas?

cow
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Are your lugs on securely?

ep_hatcher_510
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
check your LCA ball joints and bushings, tie rods, struts, it could be ur suspension.

EP3driver
07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
check your LCA ball joints and bushings, tie rods, struts, it could be ur suspension.

I jacked up the front end, checked the wheels, tires, checked for play on the ball joints, started the car and accelerated with the wheels off the ground to see if I could replicate the problem but so far nothing...car only has 50k miles and looks fine underneath...

chino0k
07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
omggggg i've been hearing the same really loud knocking noise from underneath the front passenger side area... it just happens randomly, maybe every 2 months for about 5 seconds... my front end is tight... exhaust is tight, i have no idea where to look since its so intermittant.

EP3driver
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
omggggg i've been hearing the same really loud knocking noise from underneath the front passenger side area... it just happens randomly, maybe every 2 months for about 5 seconds... my front end is tight... exhaust is tight, i have no idea where to look since its so intermittant.

It's weird becaise you tend to suspect that something is loose but cannot find anything wrong...I am thinking maybe my pax side strut is going bad for a few seconds here and there and is somehow transferring the impact onto the frame underneath the car...I do not know what else it could be at this point.

skoolnu
07-08-2008, 06:56 PM
ive had this thud sound before myself. Its only when it rains, i would have to say its the exhaust. why it does it tho.... no :censored: clue, cause it can drive me nuts.

EP3driver
07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
ive had this thud sound before myself. Its only when it rains, i would have to say its the exhaust. why it does it tho.... no :censored: clue, cause it can drive me nuts.

hmmm, now that you mention rain, it was raining when it happenned, and that can point to rain getting between the cat and the heat shield above it and maybe moving the cat around? I do not see how else it could happen if that's what it is. There is a gap between the cat and the heat shield...

chino0k
07-08-2008, 07:30 PM
i can't recall if it was raining the first time i heard the noise, but today was raining and it did happen today... i don't think it would be the exhaust... i would only suspect that it would happen much more frequently... my guess is the abs pump operating, since its in the passenger front side... hard to tell.. i'll have to wait until it rains again...

Windchaser
07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Can you list your suspension mods?

chino0k
07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm stock...

EP3driver
07-08-2008, 07:45 PM
i can't recall if it was raining the first time i heard the noise, but today was raining and it did happen today... i don't think it would be the exhaust... i would only suspect that it would happen much more frequently... my guess is the abs pump operating, since its in the passenger front side... hard to tell.. i'll have to wait until it rains again...

Not sure that the ABS pump should create a repeating thud that you can feel with your hand on the floor pan...

chino0k
07-08-2008, 07:59 PM
oh.. i'm not sure... i never had the chance to actually take time to listen b/c it happened just as i was coming to a stop...

KevinEP3
07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
have you had any clutch work cuz 4-6 months after a new clutch and flywheel i heard a thud from under the car kinda under the cup holders. it would happen when i shift and go over speed bumps. so i took it to the shop and the tranny mounts were loose. i supose from slamin 2nd here and there. i also had this problem in a firebird when i actully broke the mounts. good luck

slo_k20
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
alright when i was painting my wheels i had two other rims with bald tires on temporarily.. whenever i drove, as soon as i let off the gas to slow down there would be the most terrible thud thud thud it felt like the wheel was going to roll off. lugs were tight i have no idea what it was. never did it with my stock wheels

v1c10us
07-08-2008, 11:16 PM
i had that and it was my lugs were loose.

RS_man
07-09-2008, 04:22 AM
Has anyone tried turing their wheel when the car is stationary and getting a click-clunk noise? I seem to be having similar issues to those stated.

I was told that is could be ball joints. MadCityEP recommended that I buy some T1R inverted Tie Rod ends.

EP3driver
07-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Has anyone tried turing their wheel when the car is stationary and getting a click-clunk noise? I seem to be having similar issues to those stated.

I was told that is could be ball joints. MadCityEP recommended that I buy some T1R inverted Tie Rod ends.

Tie rods? Ball joints?

oldskoofame
07-09-2008, 06:53 PM
who's there?

rocketep
07-09-2008, 07:04 PM

happens to me when it rains to, noticed it after i put my exhaust on. dont really know whats causing it.

RS_man
07-10-2008, 08:48 AM
so... I checked my setup last night. I put the car in "on" to activate the steering. I had my little sister sit in the cockpit and turn the wheel while I tried to find the noise. To my dismay I must have been on crack the day I put my suspension back in... the top nuts on the struts needed tightening. After I tightened the nuts there was no travel or noise from the suspension anymore. However there is still a subtle loseness from the steering rack that is audible. Is there any way to get in there and tighten the steering?

rocketep
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
are u talking about the inner tie rods or what?

RS_man
07-10-2008, 07:16 PM
The tie rod, where it connects to the steering rack, is there a way to tighten it?

BlackEP9
07-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Not sure if this is a suspension issue...I am driving straight and once a while I hear these thuds under the front console area or passenger seat area. I can feel something hitting from uder the car, but I got under the car and checked the cat and other stuff and I cannot replicate the problem. Anyone had this happen before? It hits 4-6 times and goes away for 15 minutes or more before it happens again. First noticed it last night after the car was parked 5 days. Any ideas?

This happened to me once slowing down on an offramp the other day just as I came to a stop. Right side, but not sure if it was front or back. Hasn't happened again...no clue why it would happen only once.

mr-alternative
07-13-2008, 12:55 PM

Click Clunk noises??? YOu reminded me!!!

I ve had the same problem...:

it comes when you drove very slow e.g. drive into parking slot or something else...it is too when car stands and moving steering...

my way was driving to Honda that they have a look to that problem.

They have told spring turns when you move steering wheel and metal from springs to suspension dampers causes this click clung...

They fixed it for free because guarantee paid for that. ( they put some rubber hose around the spring)

rocketep
07-14-2008, 06:34 AM
The tie rod, where it connects to the steering rack, is there a way to tighten it?

thats the inner tie rod, u can replace them so yea they can come lose, u need a special tool to do it though, i highly dought that its lose unless they have been replaced before.

skoolnu
07-21-2008, 08:35 PM

when the bushings for the exhaust hanger are warm and wet... knock knock knock. they become soft and that pipe can move a bit more.

EP3driver
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
when the bushings for the exhaust hanger are warm and wet... knock knock knock. they become soft and that pipe can move a bit more.

Yup, it did it again today when it was raining, very loud

EP3driver
07-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Yup, it did it again today when it was raining, very loud

I wonder if there are any Honda TSBs for this...anyone knows where the TSBs are posted?

skoolnu
07-25-2008, 10:06 PM
what exhaust are you running?

EP3driver
07-26-2008, 07:39 AM
what exhaust are you running?

oem

03ep3 stapel
07-26-2008, 01:58 PM
i had that happening in the back of my car before

Slip_Angle
07-26-2008, 05:43 PM
so... I checked my setup last night. I put the car in "on" to activate the steering. I had my little sister sit in the cockpit and turn the wheel while I tried to find the noise. To my dismay I must have been on crack the day I put my suspension back in... the top nuts on the struts needed tightening. After I tightened the nuts there was no travel or noise from the suspension anymore. However there is still a subtle loseness from the steering rack that is audible. Is there any way to get in there and tighten the steering?

I was going to post this as well. It's happened to me in the past and yesterday it happened again. Tightened them up and knock is gone.

I expect it will be back in a couple years. I swear these things loosen over time.