PDA

View Full Version : Hard mounting a portable GPS

Fish
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm curious if anyone has hardmounted a portable GPS and how you did it, and if you have pictures.

I have just purchased a Mio Moov 200 after wanting a GPS for a long time and being unwilling to blow 1000+ on an In-Dash, and I would like to hardmount the unit but I do not know how or where I would mount it, and how I would be able to feed power to the unit. I am willing to cut up a USB cable for it if needed but I would rather not cut the 120v(?) plug if I can avoid it. I also wouldn't want to cut the dash up too much but I am willing to do some work on it. I am thinking of mounting it on the lower center dash where the plug is but I don't know if it would be a prime spot.. Haha.

If any of that made sense.. lol. Pretty much looking for pics/how you did it if you hardmounted a portable GPS. thanks.

crhatch02
07-08-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm curious if anyone has hardmounted a portable GPS and how you did it, and if you have pictures.

I have just purchased a Mio Moov 200 after wanting a GPS for a long time and being unwilling to blow 1000+ on an In-Dash, and I would like to hardmount the unit but I do not know how or where I would mount it, and how I would be able to feed power to the unit. I am willing to cut up a USB cable for it if needed but I would rather not cut the 120v(?) plug if I can avoid it. I also wouldn't want to cut the dash up too much but I am willing to do some work on it. I am thinking of mounting it on the lower center dash where the plug is but I don't know if it would be a prime spot.. Haha.

If any of that made sense.. lol. Pretty much looking for pics/how you did it if you hardmounted a portable GPS. thanks.

Custom dash is the way to go brother

newblackhatch
07-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Best Buy sells nice Bracketron brackets that you can have come out next to the console, and you can screw the GPS mount right into it. They look good.

jtyler05si
07-11-2008, 09:50 AM
umm i use a suction cup on my window, so that i can take it down when i park. i do it for two reasons:
1. so the unit doesn't get too hot in direct sunlight.
2. so people dont see it and break into my car.