PDA

View Full Version : ScangaugeII

0h5ive_EP3
07-09-2008, 09:15 AM
does anybody have the ScangaugeII? just wondering where anybody has thought to mount it, how easy it is to install, satisfaction level, etc.

here's a link to those of you who don't know what it is. I really like the idea for daily driving, tells you the mpg you are getting at the moment, rpm, speed, as well as internal temps, etc. also a gauge that tells you more than just one thing!

http://www.scangauge.com/

Oxygen
07-09-2008, 09:58 AM
I got one relatively recently. It is good once you calibrate it. It used to tell me before I calibrated it that I was getting mid to high 40 MPG, but it turned out I was closer to lower 30s. Not a huge deal, but when you pay $160 for a device like that, you want it to be as accurate as possible.

Installation is super simple: plug it in to your OBD2 port, and away you go. I have it mounted on the steering wheel in front of the gauge cluster so that I am not distracted from the road when reading it. I also routed the wire so that it was not hanging down in front of the accelerator pedal.

I do not know if it is worth the $160 asking price though. While it is nice to know MPG and such in real time, that might be a lot of money to sink into something like that.

It allows you to have any four gauges active at a given time, so right now, I have:
Water Temp
MPG
RPM
MPH

I know the last two seem kinda unnecessary, but I have not found a need for some of the other gauges right now, like voltage, or gallons per hour. I also added a horsepower gauge using the X-GAUGE system, which is pretty cool, but I do not keep that gauge on all the time.

In addition, it averages out your MPG over the tank, today, and the current trip.

Lately, I have not been paying attention to it because my MPG has been pretty good given how I drive, so I definitely think the novelty wears off after a little while.

If you have any questions about it, I will try to answer them as best as I can.

0h5ive_EP3
07-09-2008, 10:07 AM
i know what you mean about the mph and rpm but that'll benefit me right behind the wheel b/c i have the wheel titled all the way down and can't see the 55-90 mph zone lol! but i mainly like the mpg factor.

how did you get it calibrated? does it not work right out of the box?

Oxygen
07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
It works pretty well out of the box, but not perfect. The exact procedure is in the manual, but I will sum it up here:

Tell the ScanGauge how big your engine is (in our case, 2.0L) and the size of the fuel tank (13.2 Gallons)
Fill the car up with gas
Tell the ScanGauge you have filled the car up with gas (there is a menu option)
Drive until you have about 1/4 of the tank remaining
Tell the ScanGauge you are down to 1/4 tank (another menu option)

It should be calibrated then.

4angrybadgers
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
That calibration will probably be off, if it relies on you going down to 1/4 of a tank. The fuel gauge can be horribly inaccurate.

Johnny
07-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Oxygen, how much improvement did you see from this in mpg?

0h5ive_EP3
07-10-2008, 04:31 AM
thanx a lot oxygen!!!

Oxygen
07-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Oxygen, how much improvement did you see from this in mpg?

Not too much, but only because I am light on the throttle anyways. You will see more improvement if you are constantly hitting the redline or accelerating really fast from traffic lights or something like that.

The most important thing this device does is to let you know how your driving style is affecting your MPG in realtime. That way you can correct it (or not).

thanx a lot oxygen!!!
No problem! :)

0h5ive_EP3
07-10-2008, 05:00 AM
btw have you had the need for it to check CEL codes??

Oxygen
07-10-2008, 05:25 AM
btw have you had the need for it to check CEL codes??

Not on the EP, but I did on a Subaru once. Works as you would expect it to. I also let it gather freeze data (the Subaru had a recurring CEL). It only got MPH and RPM at the time the CEL went on, but that might have been the computer on the Subaru.

stock
08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I've had mine for a few months now. It's not meant to increase fuel economy as it's more meant to dislplay your driving habits. This site http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/index.php, clean MPG.org is a site that is all about fuel economy and improving any vehicles MPG's. Check it out if you're interested in making out EP's get better fuel economy. I've found the gauage helpful in bettering my driving habits for better MPG's. It also functions as a code reader. resetter if you have a chek engine light on.

oneglory
08-11-2008, 01:43 PM
are there any alternatives to this tool?

Slip_Angle
08-11-2008, 08:37 PM
are there any alternatives to this tool?

I have a Brockway Engineering R920..

http://www.brockwayengineering.com/r920.html

oneglory
08-11-2008, 08:49 PM
I meant something cheaper