PDA

View Full Version : supercharged A2head/A3 block power?

shortstop
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM
What kind of power are people making with i/h/e/k pro with JRSC a2/a3? I may be in a fortunate situation to be able to do something like this. My estimate is about a 4.5-5 thousand dollar set up right?

03Si757
07-09-2008, 10:45 PM
What kind of power are people making with i/h/e/k pro with JRSC a2/a3? I may be in a fortunate situation to be able to do something like this. My estimate is about a 4.5-5 thousand dollar set up right?

I wouldnt recommend a a2 head on a a3 plat form. Why, im sure someone will point it out.

kprocivic
07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
4.5-5k you can have a better setup then what you said.

Nitrofaint
07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Although the cost of this setup might not net much more hp over a JRSC a3, it sounds like a very interesting experiment.

I guess I am just interested how the decrease in static compression and increase in head cfm will affect overall power output with the JRSC.

shadowmd
07-10-2008, 04:27 AM
pm laokidd or something like that. he frequents the md/va/pa section a lot. he has an a3 bottom end, z1 head and a jrsc-r

shortstop
07-10-2008, 09:28 AM
thanks, i will ask him what he is doin. I was just gonna go for supercharged a3 with i/h/e/k pro but i posted on a local forum and some guy that has a shop was like "jrsc make no power on those cars,a2 head would flow better etc.."
Does this guy know what he's talkin about or is he full of it? He has a monster B series eg but hasn't done much with K series.

MugenReplica
07-10-2008, 09:44 AM
This is a decent setup.

Here are some reasons why...

-A K20a2 still costs $3k+ some change.
-A K20a2/K24a2/K20z1 head cost no greater than $1k
-Most JRSC K20a2s are decently under 300whp and make most of their power before 8k rpms.
-That 300whp is about where the K20a3 bottom end shits the bed.
-We have lower compression than them, which is slightly better for boost.
-We should make around 260whp or more with this. The only better alternative to this in theory is a K24a1 head with cams/K20a3 bottom end. Mostly because the K24a1 head flows better than any of the VTEC styled heads.

shadowmd
07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
alternative to this in theory is a K24a1 head with cams/K20a3 bottom end. Mostly because the K24a1 head flows better than any of the VTEC styled heads.

:hand: hold on there stranger lol the a2 still flows better than the k24a1 :mbiggrin:

Unknownally
07-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Fuck all the bullshit get an A2 swap and worry about boost later =)

BlownSi05
07-10-2008, 10:27 AM
i could see this setup rolling out 250-260whp with a good tune. i think the limiting factor will be the intake mani that comes with the jrsc setup as well as heat, which is an ongoing battle. do the maxbore tb service and port match the inlet and it will help alot. i would definatly be interested in seeing this considering it is something my tuner and i have gone over numerous times.

MugenReplica
07-10-2008, 12:20 PM
:hand: hold on there stranger lol the a2 still flows better than the k24a1 :mbiggrin:

Well.....at the very top of a flowbench test, a K20a2 head will outflow the K24a1 head, but not by much. The K24a1 is better in a general flow range from the graphs I used to have.

kprocivic
07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Well.....at the very top of a flowbench test, a K20a2 head will outflow the K24a1 head, but not by much. The K24a1 is better in a general flow range from the graphs I used to have.

k20a2 head >>> k24a1 head

MugenReplica
07-10-2008, 01:13 PM
k20a2 head >>> k24a1 head

Sorry buddy, but you're wrong. At least, not on a flow bench.

http://www.irekevin.com/forumn/crv_V_types_V_tsx.jpg

I am not misleading anybody in my statement as you can see below also. I am just showing that I've been around since 2004 and have owned multiple K24a1 heads and sold all of them for double what I paid in 2005. All bought because of some old cfm graphs I ran across on K20a.org showing they flow capability of the K24a1 head.

In power terms however, you're better off with the VTEC head. The third lobe of any of the VTEC styled cams are better in terms of duration and lift than both Skunk2 and Brian Crowers stage II cams for the K20a3/K24a1/K24a4 heads. Hence more power in the high end.

That CRV head owns in most of the range

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6235&page=4

kprocivic
07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
i may be blind but it looks like up top the a2 prevails. winning is winning doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile jk. well im not a a1 head hater i had one. and its funny to see how the perspective on the a1 head and swap has changed since this graph. im not taking anything away from the a1 head but at the end of the day its still a 2 lobe great flowing head. but in all actuality the 2 shouldnt even be compared, 2 completely different heads. it just gave us a3 guys something to look forward too. i really question what kinda actual numbers are gained from the headswap. it could be possible that hell the head flows better but doesnt mean its gonna have a 10+whp effect.

MugenReplica
07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
i may be blind but it looks like up top the a2 prevails. winning is winning doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile jk. well im not a a1 head hater i had one. and its funny to see how the perspective on the a1 head and swap has changed since this graph. im not taking anything away from the a1 head but at the end of the day its still a 2 lobe great flowing head. but in all actuality the 2 shouldnt even be compared, 2 completely different heads. it just gave us a3 guys something to look forward too. i really question what kinda actual numbers are gained from the headswap. it could be possible that hell the head flows better but doesnt mean its gonna have a 10+whp effect.

I did mention in my reply to Sam (aka ShadowMD) that the a2 just barely topped the K24a1 head in cfms at the very top of the powerband.

I agree with you. But I was just pointing out that on a boosted equation, a K20a3 bottom end, with a K24a1 head and cams, might put out more than what people would want to give it credit for. Look at Panathrasher, he put out what 253-255whp with Brian Crower Stage II cams on our crappy flowing K20a3 head. If you were on a budget, the K24a1 swap is looking more promising. I bought all my K24a1 head for around $100 (now they go for $250). But if you think of it as a budget build, you could get Brian Crower Stage II cams for $380 shipped, you could get a great flowing head with cams and come out on par with a k20a2 head swap at around half the cost of the K20a2 head swap. Since we all know boosted applications like to breath, I don't think getting 8-10whp out of a K24a1 head swap would be out of the equation.

Now for the real question, would you buy a Buddy Club RH? It gives you around the same gains for more money than the K24a1 head swap on a JRSC equipped vehicle. Most people just like easy bolt on power.

A K24a1 head swap only really makes sense on a boosted engine. On a boosted engine, I say yes. On an NA engine I say no.

Just my $.02.:washing:

*One more reference point. I sold my K24a1 heads for a K20z1 head which is at my house. I opted for what I considered better. If I was on a budget however, I'd get another K24a1 head, BC Stage II cams, and chunkys TCT.

kprocivic
07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
oh yeah i agree with you boosted prolly would make a significant difference.

LaoKidd2k
07-10-2008, 09:24 PM
yeah i have that setup. only i have the z1 head.

with just the z1 head swap i made 172hp tuned. in the kpro listed calibrations there is one that make that power for bolt on on the a3. one members bro made that and i was shocked. so doin just the head swap than it's not worth it. but since i put the s/c on it is great. at 3k the boosts kicks in and at 4k(where i set vtec) the engine opens up and the rpms just skyrocket.

i have not yet had a chance to get it tuned yet. still planning to get the 3.8" pulley, 2.5" tensioner pulley, maxbore the TB and get it tuned

Iluvcars
07-10-2008, 10:44 PM

with just the z1 head swap i made 172hp tuned. in the kpro listed calibrations there is one that make that power for bolt on on the a3. one members bro made that and i was shocked. so doin just the head swap than it's not worth it. but since i put the s/c on it is great. at 3k the boosts kicks in and at 4k(where i set vtec) the engine opens up and the rpms just skyrocket.

i have not yet had a chance to get it tuned yet. still planning to get the 3.8" pulley, 2.5" tensioner pulley, maxbore the TB and get it tuned

Boost +no tune=big no no

Mikebuen
07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm Jealous of your setup minus the no tune! Man get tuned and let us know what you are putting down.

shadowmd
07-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I did mention in my reply to Sam (aka ShadowMD) that the a2 just barely topped the K24a1 head in cfms at the very top of the powerband.

:msmooch::mangel::mbiggrin:

MugenReplica
07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
:msmooch::mangel::mbiggrin:

:thumb::rockon:

jeffgeezer
07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=The only better alternative to this in theory is a K24a1 head with cams/K20a3 bottom end. Mostly because the K24a1 head flows better than any of the VTEC styled heads.[/QUOTE]

yey! that's what i'm doing!

uneekazn1
05-27-2010, 07:41 AM
want to know more info on this.

SandBagger
11-03-2010, 06:09 AM
yey! that's what i'm doing!

I think the same as you about the heads in the long run, however after talking to a good tuner, he told me that with a blower it is forcing air in so fast that porting and different head will not be that much greater than another.

If you are going K24, I would suggest a three lobed cam with the blower. Or go with a strickly VTEC killer set up K24, they make killer power