PDA

View Full Version : Comptech catback

Pradamuimui
07-12-2002, 04:26 PM
I ordered a comptech catback for my Si. Its supposed to get hear in a couple of weeks. I will let everyone know what it sounds like, if I can fell any horespower gains, and I will post some pics on what it looks like!!!

Brenetics
07-12-2002, 05:36 PM
You don't get any major gains from a catback itself, but it will sound A LOT better.

How much was that?

Pradamuimui
07-12-2002, 06:04 PM
Actually you do get a 7-10 horespower jump from a catback which is about average for a good catback. You will gain about 20-30hp once you run a full catback from the engine back, which includes; headers, full catback including first and second catalytic jack!!!

punkdork
07-12-2002, 06:08 PM
I'd like to see a dyno of that compared to stock. I've seen some before where there are some big peaks vs. stock but also a lot of areas where stock is higher. In the end its all about the area under the curve.

Pradamuimui
07-12-2002, 06:09 PM
By the way I forgot to list the price..OOPS...it comes with the full stainless steel piping from the headers back, the first catalytic jack, and the catback...all for a VERY PRICEY $668.00 or there abouts shipped by www.eautoworks.com

iR-VTEC2
07-12-2002, 10:54 PM
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/02civicsi.html

"On the horsepower side of things, we spent some time on Comptech's dynamometer developing the car's engine. A prototype cat-back exhaust from Comptech boosted the Civic from 143 hp at the wheels to 147, while a CARB-legal header upped the ante to 154. Further development will include a cold-air intake system"

With a CAI what do y'all think it would be?

Brenetics
07-13-2002, 02:57 AM
With CAI you could probably add a safe 5-7 hp

punkdork
07-13-2002, 09:12 AM
$700 for 4 hp... damn...

02TafWhtSi
07-13-2002, 11:05 AM
I have to agree - that is a lot of money for such a small gain in useable power. I guess you can say you're buying the looks and sound too but a $100-200 bolt on muffler or rear section will give you that as well and cost much less.

SmoothOperator
07-13-2002, 01:14 PM
a $100-200 bolt on muffler or rear section will give you that as well and cost much less

miamijdm said the stock muffler isn't very restrictive at all. It has a 2.25" inlet. I think I may stick with the stock muffler. But I really want to slap on a wider midpipe. damn!

Pradamuimui
07-14-2002, 03:01 PM
I aggree with you guys $700 is a lot of money to spend. But by the time I run a full exhaust system from the engine back, Im looking at a 30-35 hp gain....Which is LOVELY...maybe even more???

punkdork
07-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui
I aggree with you guys $700 is a lot of money to spend. But by the time I run a full exhaust system from the engine back, Im looking at a 30-35 hp gain....Which is LOVELY...maybe even more???

30 hp tied up in our exhaust system. I highly doubt it.

Pradamuimui
07-14-2002, 06:28 PM
If you do a COMPLETE EXHAUST SYSTEM, not just the catback...Im talking new piping, a new catalytic jack and a catalytic converter, plus new headers it is HIGHLY likely. Think about it; 20hp from new headers, and 7-10 from a good catback system. If you dont believe me ask around, if you do a FULL exhaust setup you will get that high of results.

fishboy
07-15-2002, 10:15 AM
miamijdm did free up alot of power with just his I/H/E setup. maybe our engines are pretty bottled up and we might see more gains with a full exhaust system than we would on most cars. just a thought. let me know how the comptech goes, Prada, i am really considering comptech products, like the header...

Pradamuimui
07-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Good man....Comptech is more expensive, but its the Spoon of America!!! Plus its GOOD STUFF so obviously ur gonna pay more!!!

02SilverSiHB
07-20-2002, 07:07 PM
I ordered a comptech catback for my Si. Its supposed to get hear in a couple of weeks. I will let everyone know what it sounds like, if I can fell any horespower gains, and I will post some pics on what it looks like!!!
I can't wait to see it!

Pradamuimui
07-21-2002, 12:38 AM
I also ordered a Comptech catback...as you can tell from my post...but GOOD JOB MAN...COMPTECH RULES...Its $$$PRICEY$$$ but Im sure that we wont be dissapointed!!!

dustinhurley
07-21-2002, 02:19 PM
If you do a COMPLETE EXHAUST SYSTEM, not just the catback...Im talking new piping, a new catalytic jack and a catalytic converter, plus new headers it is HIGHLY likely. Think about it; 20hp from new headers, and 7-10 from a good catback system. If you dont believe me ask around, if you do a FULL exhaust setup you will get that high of results.

Who's getting 20 hp out of a header on a Honda? Did you used to own a 5.0 Mustang or something? Look at a dyno....

02SilverSiHB
07-22-2002, 11:23 AM
By the way I forgot to list the price..OOPS...it comes with the full stainless steel piping from the headers back, the first catalytic jack, and the catback...all for a VERY PRICEY $668.00 or there abouts shipped by www.eautoworks.com

I have a friend who said my cats are welded on. He's obviously wrong correct? I haven't got a chance to get under the car to check for sure.

Pradamuimui
07-22-2002, 12:37 PM
I dont beieve that the cat is welded on...from what I know its all bolt on...Im almost 100% sure that its bolt on!!!

SpeedRacer
07-22-2002, 05:56 PM
are we going to pass smog after all this?

02SilverSiHB
07-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
are we going to pass smog after all this?
I would assume so, since we are replacing the piping form the cat-back and not taking out the catalyitc converters

dustinhurley
07-26-2002, 03:12 PM
In my state, Ohio, it is illegal to replace a cat or move a cat unless it is damaged or falls off. But, how will they ever know?

iR-VTEC2
07-26-2002, 04:54 PM
so why dont you damage the cat till it falls off? :D

JSIR
07-26-2002, 08:00 PM
from what I can tell the cat is welded to the downpipe as one piece that leads to the base of the exhaust manifold. But any competent exhaust guy could cut it and make a flange and then insert a straight pipe.

02SilverSiHB
07-28-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
from what I can tell the cat is welded to the downpipe as one piece that leads to the base of the exhaust manifold. But any competent exhaust guy could cut it and make a flange and then insert a straight pipe.
yeah, you're right. I saw that when I was taking the front bumper off. But the piping looked huge! Bigger than any piping I've ever seen on a civic. I don't think it would be worth it to exchange the down pipe. Even the cat looked bigger.

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 04:42 AM
you still haven't received it?

My98nsx
07-31-2002, 08:38 AM
Is Comptech's cat-back available already? They make an extremely solid product. I have the air-box, header, and exhaust on my Acura. I would like to hold out for their header and cat-back for my son's 2k2 Si. Comptech doesn't have it mentioned on it's web site, as I check often. Where did you order it from and how much did it cost?

hms

02SilverSiHB
07-31-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by My98nsx
Is Comptech's cat-back available already? They make an extremely solid product. I have the air-box, header, and exhaust on my Acura. I would like to hold out for their header and cat-back for my son's 2k2 Si. Comptech doesn't have it mentioned on it's web site, as I check often. Where did you order it from and how much did it cost?

hms
I think he ordered it from www.nopionline.com
I agree, comptech is a great company.

Pradamuimui
07-31-2002, 12:31 PM
No I still havent received my Comptech catback...have you got yours yet?? Im starting to get pissed off, I ordered it from www.eautoworks.com Let me know when u get urs!!!

02SilverSiHB
07-31-2002, 02:14 PM
No I still havent received my Comptech catback...have you got yours yet?? Im starting to get pissed off, I ordered it from www.eautoworks.com Let me know when u get urs!!!
I didn't order one yet. I'm waiting to see how your's looks :D
I've ordered from eautoworks before. Sometimes it would take a little longer than expected. Did you call them?

Pradamuimui
08-01-2002, 11:46 AM
I have e-mailed them a couple of times...however I think that I need to call them!!!

Pradamuimui
08-03-2002, 04:21 PM
Get this....I call eautoworks and they tell me that the Comptech catback doesnt come out until mid September!!! What the trash??? They told me that it woulld take two weeks, and now they tell me that it will be at least a month and a half!! Im ROYALY PISSED OFF...but I guess that I will have to wait for my AWESOME catback from Comptech!!!

02SilverSiHB
08-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Get this....I call eautoworks and they tell me that the Comptech catback doesnt come out until mid September!!! What the trash??? They told me that it woulld take two weeks, and now they tell me that it will be at least a month and a half!! Im ROYALY PISSED OFF...but I guess that I will have to wait for my AWESOME catback from Comptech!!!
they should give you some kind of rebate for that. Tell them you feel as though it is false advertisement. I assume, it didn't say about not being in stock?

Pradamuimui
08-04-2002, 12:12 AM
Youre right..it is false advertisement, but I told them that I would go ahead and wait the extra time since it is something that I want...however Im gonna call and see if they will give me some off, since they screwed me like that!!!

CSI02
08-04-2002, 10:44 AM
It looks like it'll be 'till the end of this month unti the cat back exhausts are ready. The piping is in production and they are waiting for mufflers to be made. Same with the header. I heard this from a buddy of mine that works there. It's taking some time now, but it should be nice items when they're released!