PDA

View Full Version : CTR bumpers: legal?

dustinhurley
11-20-2002, 10:03 PM
Are the CTR bumpers legal in the U.S. since there are no reflectors on the car other than the tailights? I thought we had to have something on the sides of the front and rear of the car, and some states have color regulations as well. Also, do these bumpers bolt right on without having to modify the frame of the car at all? I though FIZZ said they do, but I may be wrong.

DownTheHatch
11-21-2002, 10:46 AM
They are not legal because they eliminate the side reflectors, you may be able to get away with making your sidemarker glow fulltime and flicker off for turnsignaling. You can do this by reversing the black and white wires to the sidemarker.

I doubt you would get hassled as the stock bumpers look stock.

silver ep
11-21-2002, 10:49 AM
I doubt you would get hassled as the stock bumpers look stock.

I agree esp. in Ohio I doubt youd get hassled

Dustin: This is a little off topic but what are your plans for your car?

todaCspec
11-21-2002, 12:10 PM
not legal, will not hold up in a 5mph crash test. what if insurance people take a look at what's behind the bumper and realize that it's been altered?

Fizz Autosports
11-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Well first in NY there is no law i know of that would say you needed Reflectors ON the bumper (could be wrong, but the chances of you getting pulled over for that is like a million to 1).... and Depending on the way you make the bumper fit it can and will withstand a crash test but then again who is gonna "crash test their ep??" and if you shave or use the jdm bumper support it would also pass any visual inspections.... there are a few options when modifying the bumper to fit ..

The Jdm bumper bolts on direrctly BUT Jdm vs US bumper the JDM bumper support is smaller .....

Thus you can either

a.) Shave down the bumper support to fit the cover over it
b.) Remove the Bumper supports (not very safe god forbid)
c.) Get the JDM bumper supports and switch them (not sure if the exact safety specs are met but will work nonetheless)

dustinhurley
11-21-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by silver ep

Dustin: This is a little off topic but what are your plans for your car?

My plans as of now, which will most deffinately change over time are: Mugen lip, Mugen grill, 18" Racing Hart GT5's (the day they come out), some stereo stuff, JDM side skirts, rear bumper, rear lip, Fujitsubo cat-back, and some other bolt-ons. Maybe: JIC coilovers, CTR Recaro's.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. These are just the big things. Sadly enough, I actually have a list at home. So far, I have the wing, lights, sprint springs, injen short ram, some bulbs, and someone in Ohio has my 18" Racing Hart C3's (stolen).

dustinhurley
11-21-2002, 01:40 PM
Fizz: Is the bumper support plastic or metal? Is shaving it a hard proceedure? Does this apply to the front and rear? Thanks.

Fizz Autosports
11-21-2002, 03:18 PM
gonna have to get back to you, after i crawl under the car PM and ill reply after i check.

LordKoo
11-23-2002, 10:36 PM
FYI, the reason why JDM bumpers always look so thinner and sleeker because they don't have regulations that say they must withstand 15mph impact. However, US regulations do require all manufacturers to have car bumpers that withstand 15mph impact. If you swaped out for JDM bumper, I doubt you will be in violation. Afterall, it is your property anyway... But if you want insurance to pay your for the JDM bumper in case of accident, you better prove that you installed it out of your own pocket.

Odyssey Mini ME
11-28-2002, 03:33 AM
shaving the stock reflectors isn't practical. its gonna cost u to shave it, then to repaint it, and it'll be ghetto.

ctr bumpers are as legal as a fiberglass bodykit. as for reflector, u will need whatever your state requires. so check local laws.

your chances of getting harassed for the bumpers is close to nothing..

ctr bumpers are a lil shorter and smaller i dink. and they look better than USDM ones. how much are the bumpers going for anyways?

IceD out N CALI
11-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Odyssey Mini ME
shaving the stock reflectors isn't practical. its gonna cost u to shave it, then to repaint it, and it'll be ghetto.

ctr bumpers are as legal as a fiberglass bodykit. as for reflector, u will need whatever your state requires. so check local laws.

your chances of getting harassed for the bumpers is close to nothing..

ctr bumpers are a lil shorter and smaller i dink. and they look better than USDM ones. how much are the bumpers going for anyways?

i'm with mini me on this one-chances of getting in trouble without the reflectors is next to nothing. I painted mine black and have had police behind me(at odd hours too) and no problems

I also agree that the CTR bumpers are more attractive:)

CleanBlackSi02
11-30-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Fizz Autosports
The Jdm bumper bolts on direrctly BUT Jdm vs US bumper the JDM bumper support is smaller .....

Thus you can either

a.) Shave down the bumper support to fit the cover over it
b.) Remove the Bumper supports (not very safe god forbid)
c.) Get the JDM bumper supports and switch them (not sure if the exact safety specs are met but will work nonetheless)

Does Fizz sell the bumper supports? If so, could you please PM me with the amount. What did you do on your silver EP?

CleanBlackSi02
12-02-2002, 09:30 PM
U there Fizz?