PDA

View Full Version : ebay twin loop muffler as resonator?

dichotomous
07-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm thinking of replacing my resonator with one that will do a better job of controlling the sounds. I see a bunch of twin loop universal mufflers on ebay for about 50-60 shipped, they look like they are stainless steel, would this be a reasonable thing to put in there in place of the standard magnaflow resonator? I figure I'll cut off the huge tip and just weld it in place there, that way I keep my twin tip exhaust but smooth it out and cut back the droning inside.
and in general, should any muffler pretty much work for use as a resonator as long as it will fit in there, or are there specific design criteria that a standard muff is just not gonna make?

ep_hatcher_510
07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
wont that be a pretty big resonator? twin loops look pretty big and where your resonator is located at im thinking it might scrap big time.

dichotomous
07-11-2008, 09:56 AM
well I'll likely get the seller to send me a size description with length and width and such. I'm mainly wondering if its a vastly incorrect part to use or just an odd part to use but will work fine

T_Virus
07-11-2008, 10:31 AM
I was thinking about replacing my hks hi-power for one of the ebay twin loops as well too...

clutch797
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
is the hks that loud? i used to have a twin loop on my eg and it was the best exhaust ever.

T_Virus
07-11-2008, 10:58 AM
It's not loud with the silencer on but I'm planning to go with a Race Header and I want to take the silencer off so I'm just thinking maybe going twin loop would be a lot more quiet than the HKS though...

XphatfreezaX
07-11-2008, 11:45 AM
i think talonX once posted that the obx twin loop and they hytech twin loop weren't that much different in terms of performance and sound, just quality. but dont' quote me on that haha

dichotomous
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm not nessiarily worried abou the quality, the OBX deals are twice as expensive as the no-name brand, and I figure if its stainless steel and doesnt leak, thats fine, if it breaks down the road.... at least its cheep, plus I'd be upset to cut up a nicer muffler, and I would prefer to not have a 4" tip if not needed, I'd rather run 2 smaller ones, I dont want a grapefruit shooter

T_Virus
07-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I agree with dichotomous...

02TWSI
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
all I see are 3inch ebay twin loops?

v1c10us
07-12-2008, 01:08 AM
yeah the ebay ones and the obx ones are 3 inche inlet outlet deals with a height I believe of 7 plus inches.
you've got two 3 inch pipes stacked on top of eachother with space between them and more on top.
Theres no way you could put that in the place of a resonator,it'd be touching the ground.
any kind of Muffler will work as a resonator, even fart cans.
Keep in mind that many fart cans may have a 3 inch inlet but they are then tapered inside of the can, creating restriction.
Also, having too many variations in piping size slows down exhaust gas.
I would just invest in a proper resonator because you dont know what you're really getting off ebay.
A vibrant resonator of what ever your exhaust size is, 18'' long, would do very nicely if i do say so myself

02TWSI
07-12-2008, 01:48 AM
wow...the Hytech is MONEY.

Almost as much as the mugen, from what i'm seeing.

talonXracer
07-12-2008, 05:31 AM
You will never get a twin loop muffler to fit in the resonator location, and they are a tight fit in the muffler location, but work awesome in reducing the nasty drone and eliminating the raspiness of ALL the ricer fart can style muffler's.

wow...the Hytech is MONEY.

Almost as much as the mugen, from what i'm seeing.

But the Hytech is worlds better than the Mugen twinloop for higher WHP engines, as it isnt the small restrictive size of the Mugen.

The loop greatly reduces the mufflers output decibel, provides some much needed low rpm restriction with absolutely no restriction at higher rpm levels.(it is almost magic, LOL).

The cost of a Hytech loop muffler, 2.5" resonator and a Kteller kit is still cheaper than a Mugen loop exhaust.

02TWSI
07-12-2008, 01:24 PM
that's good info, now I have two choice exhaust systems to go with, the mugen twinloop or the hytech XD

dichotomous
07-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm only seeing 2.5" inlet, 4" tip twin loops on there, or at least as the majority. I'll see how the OBX raceheader sounds with the magnaflow catback, if thats just so loud its embarassing, I'll throw a twin loop on there. would a high flow cat change teh sound all that much?

v1c10us
07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
yes.
adding a cat to any catless application should make it worlds quieter.