PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an amp for 10 bucks, gotta question

v1c10us
07-12-2008, 12:56 PM
its a dual XIA3145
100 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms.
Im thinking that I can play my left front and rears off of one channel and my right front and rears off the other channel, making it 50 watts x 4 at 4 ohms.
Although if I run 2 speakers off of one channel wont that make it 2 ohms?
this amp can do 145 x 2 at 2 ohms.
So anyway, just needing a little help on how to wire this up.
The other question is this;
when i shake it around theres something that rattles inside =\ and one of the knobs is broken, im assuming its broken INTO the amp and thats whats rattling.
Its the Input level 6v-200mv knob
Can I replace this knob somehow? Im charging my camera and then Im gonna open up the amp and take pictures of the damage.

Chad
07-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Don't you have the Cerwin Vega amp on the way?

v1c10us
07-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Don't you have the Cerwin Vega amp on the way?

yes, but it was 10 bucks so I couldnt pass it up, if i cant fix it thats fine, and if i can then it was a good deal.
As much as dual really sucks, and the ratings are probably half what it says on the sticker, If I could use it succesfully and sell the cerwin vega that would put me a little closer to being able to get this done, I still dont have a head unit and I want that alpine you recommended

kaisertj
07-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Honestly, I think you wasted $10. But, if you can fix it, hell, sell it for $20! I would just wait for your other amp.

Gargola
07-13-2008, 01:02 PM
its a dual XIA3145
100 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms.
Im thinking that I can play my left front and rears off of one channel and my right front and rears off the other channel, making it 50 watts x 4 at 4 ohms.
Although if I run 2 speakers off of one channel wont that make it 2 ohms?
this amp can do 145 x 2 at 2 ohms.
So anyway, just needing a little help on how to wire this up.
The other question is this;
when i shake it around theres something that rattles inside =\ and one of the knobs is broken, im assuming its broken INTO the amp and thats whats rattling.
Its the Input level 6v-200mv knob
Can I replace this knob somehow? Im charging my camera and then Im gonna open up the amp and take pictures of the damage.

In order to correctly calculate the resistance on each channel you need to determine the ohms rating of the speakers you are hooking up and if you are going to wire them in Series or Parallel.

In Series the formula is

RT =R1+R2+R3....

In Parallel ( Most likely scenario)

RT = 1 / ((1 / R1) + (1 / R2) + (1 / R3)

Rt is you total ohms.

Edit( The resistance rating of the speakers is usually on the rear of the speaker.)

Edit... this link is helpful if you don't understand the above, consider each speaker on each channel a resistor.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/parallelresistcalc.html

shusi
07-13-2008, 04:10 PM
i would say you wasted 10 bucks too. sell it back for 15 and put that 15 towards your head unit! :usa2:

riceboy075
07-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah there probably something wrong with amp man, you shouldve save it for gas you know. But thats me,

v1c10us
07-13-2008, 09:16 PM
well I opened her up
everythings straight, the knob is just broken, I donno if you can buy a new knob and solder it on or what though.

EP3_U_SEE
07-14-2008, 12:29 PM
now a days 10 buks can buy you shizzzzz...... soo thats a damn good deal....

10 buks now barely buys lunch!!!!!:hungry: