PDA

View Full Version : AC - how to make it better?

BlackEP9
07-13-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't know about the rest of ya, but my AC just doesn't seem to work very well. Maybe it's just not to meant to function well in 100 degree weather but if I don't have the vents pointed at me I start sweating with it at max. I think the main problem is that it doesn't seem cold enough.

Has anyone made any changes, or does it sound like I just need a freon refill?

Ep3T0n3y
07-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Id start with a refill, you can pick up the kits from an auto parts store for like $15. Then if the problem still persists then try something new.

powdbyrice
07-13-2008, 12:35 PM
our A/C just sucks.

when you have your a/c on, do you have the recirc button on?

!@#$%
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Same here. I just think that TX heat owns mine. It has been so hot lately that when I turn the a/c off of max, I begin to feel like I'm getting sunburned through the windows in a matter of 2-3 minutes. At least when I have the a/c blowing on me I don't feel like I'm dipping my arm in boiling grease.

Gargola
07-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't know about the rest of ya, but my AC just doesn't seem to work very well. Maybe it's just not to meant to function well in 100 degree weather but if I don't have the vents pointed at me I start sweating with it at max. I think the main problem is that it doesn't seem cold enough.

Has anyone made any changes, or does it sound like I just need a freon refill?

Id start with a refill, you can pick up the kits from an auto parts store for like $15. Then if the problem still persists then try something new.

If everything checks out, window tint helps a lot.

EggShellSi
07-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Maybe your cabin filters are all clogged up???:confused:

Other than that i agree with Ep3Ton3y, get some freon.

!@#$%
07-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I think it's a compromise for having a lot of utility room. It takes more to keep the entire car cool.

liquid cooled
07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
if everything checks out, window tint helps a lot.

+1 ....

classiccelica
07-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Well I am in Fresno and lately we have been at 113-114 degrees out. What I do is put the ac on as soon as you let the car start and run for a minute or so, then put the windows down all the way to let the heat out of the car while the ac is on to help push out the hot air, when you start to feel a little difference roll the windows up to about 2" from the top to let out just the hot air and let it cool down just a tad more, then roll the windows up all the way and it is cooler than just turning it on and going.

riceboy075
07-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Throw some water in the condensor that helps, it get cold when i did it, or just refill your freon R134a go to wal mart they got that eazy refill thing with pressure gauge

lordofthesiths
07-13-2008, 05:59 PM
any ac system no matter how good it is can only cool about 30 degrees.
so if it 113 outside its gonna be in the 80s in your car.

player757
07-13-2008, 07:47 PM
i just had my car tinted and in years past i use to think the same thing about the ac. since said tinting i actually dont need the ac on full blast all the time. about half way usually dose it after the car is cool of course.

XphatfreezaX
07-13-2008, 08:29 PM
all of my previous civic a/c's (3 of them) have sucked ass including this one. my civic a/c just can't keep up with my brother's accord or any other midsize (and up) car. i just deal with it hahaha. sorry i'm no help

minivan_assassin
07-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Tint your windows for sure. Our interiors are black and the huge windshield baking everything doesn't help so cooling is hard.

However, after three years with no AC I recently got mine fixed. It blows COLD now so if the AC used to blow colder than it does now you may need to be refilled.

Note, though, that the AC system is a closed loop and it'd only leak off if you had well...a leak. Best to take it to a professional that can evac it properly and run dye through it to check for leaks. I don't trust that autozone crap.

EDIT: Oh, and if you check the service manual I believe there's a troubleshooting portion for the HVAC system and it tells you what temp it should blow at using a thermometer at the vent.

!@#$%
07-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh, my a/c blows very cold air; don't get me wrong. It's just that it is so hot here that it warms before the air hits my body. If you put your hand up to the vent it will chill your hand.

EP3_U_SEE
07-14-2008, 12:35 AM
i think cleaning the cabin filter helps the most!

Ep3T0n3y
07-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Maybe your cabin filters are all clogged up???:confused:

Other than that i agree with Ep3Ton3y, get some freon.

:tiphat: But I never use my AC anyways, so maybe it is like everyone says and our AC sucks.

I just roll down my windows. Try that :mangel:

minivan_assassin
07-14-2008, 03:13 AM
:tiphat: But I never use my AC anyways, so maybe it is like everyone says and our AC sucks.

Rolling down the windows is not sufficient on some days in some parts of the country.

BlackEP9
07-14-2008, 10:27 AM
our A/C just sucks.

when you have your a/c on, do you have the recirc button on?

Not sure, I think so. I think it didn't help much so it doesn't really stand out to me.

BlackEP9
07-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Throw some water in the condensor that helps, it get cold when i did it, or just refill your freon R134a go to wal mart they got that eazy refill thing with pressure gauge

for some reason I thought it was illegal in california to diy, I'll have to go down to Wal-mart

BlackEP9
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Rolling down the windows is not sufficient on some days in some parts of the country.

yeah but that hair-dryer in your face feeling gets old.

BlackEP9
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
i think cleaning the cabin filter helps the most!

the what? where is this cabin filter?

T_Virus
07-14-2008, 12:24 PM
for me, I open the window all the way and turn the fan to the very first click, ac on with recirc button...then once it starts to blow cold air from the vents, I close the windows and turn the fan on to half way...it should be blowing a good amount of cold air...

T_Virus
07-14-2008, 12:26 PM
the what? where is this cabin filter?

next to your ECU in the glove department...

powdbyrice
07-14-2008, 01:11 PM
check the DIY section for instruction on how to check/replace them. there are 2 of them in there.

powdbyrice
07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
for me, I open the window all the way and turn the fan to the very first click, ac on with recirc button...then once it starts to blow cold air from the vents, I close the windows and turn the fan on to half way...it should be blowing a good amount of cold air...

for me, windows open, sunroof vented, a/c on.
drive for a bit. should be cold by then.
close windows and sunroof.
turn on recirc button.

the instruction manual tells you the "proper" procedure.

Chad
07-15-2008, 06:21 AM

And your gas mileage goes down the turlet as you turn a previously rather aerodynamic car into a parachute.

jtyler05si
07-15-2008, 08:04 AM
And your gas mileage goes down the turlet as you turn a previously rather aerodynamic car into a parachute.

haha....

i open my windows in the city, unless it is blazing hot with no wind. I turn my a/c on, on the highway to avoid the parachute effect.

blksi02
07-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Our AC does suck..but change the cabin filters!! it really does help.. A little pricy though

classiccelica
07-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Has anyone else but me noticed how much strain the ac puts on our motors. I mean damn, I can be normally accelerating and hit the button to turn it on then it feels like I let off the throttle. Loads of engine drag there.

Chad
07-15-2008, 08:58 AM
haha....

i open my windows in the city, unless it is blazing hot with no wind. I turn my a/c on, on the highway to avoid the parachute effect.

Same here, I don't use it in town much unless it's swamp-ass hot/humid. As soon as I'm on the interstate though, it's on!

Has anyone else but me noticed how much strain the ac puts on our motors. I mean damn, I can be normally accelerating and hit the button to turn it on then it feels like I let off the throttle. Loads of engine drag there.

I really don't think it's as bad as the engine let's on, I lose about 1-2MPG MAX with the air on as opposed to the vent, What I think we are feeliong in the compressor kicking in and suddenly putting the engine under load, I think that compressor is a tough one to start up.... which could be why there are so many failures :mrolleyes:

kokopuffs405
07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
My car shakes when I turn the A/c on... when im idling or at slow mph.... but then again im turbo =)

Is that normal?

blksi02
07-15-2008, 10:01 AM
My car shakes when I turn the A/c on... when im idling or at slow mph.... but then again im turbo =)

Is that normal?

esmm do that... sux but worth it

ep3moschini
07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
ice cubes work

EPandaman29
07-15-2008, 04:50 PM
i changed out my cabin filters a while ago and it seemed to help a little bit...but maybe your problem is more major than that. go get a second opinion if anything.