PDA

View Full Version : type s exhaust installed

jtyler05si
07-13-2008, 12:42 PM
so for the past couple months I have been accumulating all the neccesary parts to replace the header, cat, and midpipe with that of a type s.

yesterday morning i got up and installed it. i took a camera to take pictures for a DIY, but the memory was full after 4 pictures (couldnt go delete a bunch of pictures out of it because it was my sister's camera). so i didnt get any important pictures. I will still write up a DIY though, with some diagrams and such (probably on Monday).

anywho, it sounds pretty cool. relatively quiet, but much deeper growl than before.

my only problem is that I got a CEL after i started it up and drove to lunch. (I dont know when it came on, i noticed it on the highway.) I stopped at a autoparts store, and it read the stupid o2 sensor AND the back up...

wtf! i put a stock type s cat on there and it was in damn good shape. I took really good care of the o2 sensors when removing and installing.
so....i dont believe i damaged the sensors
....i reset the CEL only to have it come on 4 secs after I started the car again.

any ideas? I don't plan on buying new o2 sensors for a long time, i would rather ride around with a CEL. If i end up keeping the CEL i will just have the code read once a week to make sure no new problems have arrised.

Gargola
07-13-2008, 12:45 PM
so for the past couple months I have been accumulating all the neccesary parts to replace the header, cat, and midpipe with that of a type s.

yesterday morning i got up and installed it. i took a camera to take pictures for a DIY, but the memory was full after 4 pictures (couldnt go delete a bunch of pictures out of it because it was my sister's camera). so i didnt get any important pictures. I will still write up a DIY though, with some diagrams and such (probably on Monday).

anywho, it sounds pretty cool. relatively quiet, but much deeper growl than before.

my only problem is that I got a CEL after i started it up and drove to lunch. (I dont know when it came on, i noticed it on the highway.) I stopped at a autoparts store, and it read the stupid o2 sensor AND the back up...

wtf! i put a stock type s cat on there and it was in damn good shape. I took really good care of the o2 sensors when removing and installing.
so....i dont believe i damaged the sensors
....i reset the CEL only to have it come on 4 secs after I started the car again.

any ideas? I don't plan on buying new o2 sensors for a long time, i would rather ride around with a CEL. If i end up keeping the CEL i will just have the code read once a week to make sure no new problems have arrised.

Take it to a muffler shop, most will check your O2 sensors and cat for free with the hope that they can nail you on the sale of a CAT.

Edit
Midas and Mienekee( Not sure if I spelled that correctly) come to mind.

jtyler05si
07-13-2008, 12:48 PM
really? I never knew that...
thanks! thats good to know

v1c10us
07-13-2008, 12:48 PM
if you got any wd40 or liquid wrench of pb blaster type stuff on the sensors that can ruin them.
also, if you hung anything by the cables, like the old cat or something, its possible you broke the wires. When wires get really hot and then you move them around they can get crunchy

jtyler05si
07-13-2008, 12:51 PM
ya, i knew about the wd40, etc. prior to removing them, so i was cautious of that.

when removing them i unplugged them at the connectors before removing the exhaust from the car. i took out the old and put the sensor into the new exhaust while they were off the car. i also added an o2 extension to the main sensor so that it didn't stretch the wires too much, seeing how it moved the cat back a few inches. the secondary had enough slack already, it didn't need an extension.

Gargola
07-13-2008, 12:56 PM
really? I never knew that...
thanks! thats good to know

Both of those shops have been helpful diagnosing previous CAT issues for free, both have been consistent with providing me quotes that range from$600 to $800 :noidea:.

civsirmt
07-13-2008, 04:17 PM
pics:mbiggrin:

Hondatuner87
07-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Pretty sweet that you got the muffler on. What year did you go with? The one off of the 05-06 or the 02-03?? I think me and you are the only ones sporting this muffler.

Bificus
07-13-2008, 05:58 PM
What was the code?

AliG-EP3
07-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Anyway that you can post up a video of how it sounds? This was the mod I always wanted to do

jtyler05si
07-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Both of those shops have been helpful diagnosing previous CAT issues for free, both have been consistent with providing me quotes that range from$600 to $800 :noidea:.
well i will look into that, again thanks for the help.

pics:mbiggrin:
ass :mconfused: jk

Pretty sweet that you got the muffler on. What year did you go with? The one off of the 05-06 or the 02-03?? I think me and you are the only ones sporting this muffler.
ummm... i'm not sure what is being asked, I replaced everything EXCEPT for the muffler... I don't know what year the header is, Chromecoyote should know. The Cat, I believe is off an '05 (I'm 90% sure). The midpipe is off an '05 (I'm positive on this one, this is the only part i was picky about the year)

What was the code?
Damnit I dont have the paper on me, but I am pretty sure its the P0420 or whatever it is. It said the o2 sensor and then below it, it said "bank 1 something or another blah blah". the guy told me it was my main o2 (no brainer) and the secondary (whatever it is called).

Anyway that you can post up a video of how it sounds? This was the mod I always wanted to do
Hopefully in the next few days I will.

Bificus
07-14-2008, 05:50 AM
P0420 is a catalyst efficiency error. Hopefully you will find a better answer.

jtyler05si
07-14-2008, 05:53 AM
P0420 is a catalyst efficiency error. Hopefully you will find a better answer.

:mredface: ya i just read someone elses thread about a CEL that talked about the "bank1 sesor1" and it wasnt the P0420 or whatever.... I regret even putting that quess up there. Oh well.
I will have to look at it when i get home.

Bificus
07-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Yeah let us know what code you get.

Hondatuner87
07-14-2008, 04:07 PM
My question was which muffler did you go with from the type s. The one from the 2002-2004? Or the one off of the 2005-2006? Those mufflers are different. Im running the one off of the 2002-2004...thats why i was wondering if you went with the 2005-2006 (newer) one.

AUTiger
07-14-2008, 06:46 PM
still you are not reading his post correctly^^^ Not trying to be harsh on you, just read through it better and it will make sense. Type-s header, type-s cat and type-s midpipe, then his stock ep3 muffler.

Hondatuner87
07-14-2008, 08:59 PM
still you are not reading his post correctly^^^ Not trying to be harsh on you, just read through it better and it will make sense. Type-s header, type-s cat and type-s midpipe, then his stock ep3 muffler.

Yikes...i must be tired :rofl:

jtyler05si
07-15-2008, 05:18 AM
hahaha......

i posted a diy on this fyi