PDA

View Full Version : homemade armrest

drkdhar
07-13-2008, 10:08 PM
So i was looking over armrests for sale online and trying to retrofit some other cheap armrests to fit our car because the only ones for our car are expensive. I found that many others that are nice are quite pricey as well.. So i decided to make my own for the time being. I took a couple old pieces of wood and made it to a general shape of the armrest, bought some foam ($5) and a lil microsuede fabric from jo anns ($3), slapped it together and made a pretty decent armrest. To make it steady i removed the two screws holding the back portion cup holder and screwed it to the armrest..I am really happy with how comfortable it makes the ride feel.Small price, huge difference. Just need to make a few more cosmetic changes, but all in all im really happy..

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/dharmakarian/DSC01233-1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/dharmakarian/DSC01238.jpg

kaisertj
07-13-2008, 10:24 PM
wow:mrolleyes: .. you must be a redneck.. why would you wanna put a armrest
right above the ebrake?.. poor ep.. i say take that awful thing out..

I say give the guy a break. It may not look all that badass, but it seems very functional.

NyQuil
07-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm not really feeling it.. but props for doing something different.

KrypTOniTE
07-13-2008, 10:30 PM
I say give the guy a break. It may not look all that badass, but it seems very functional.

i give him 5 points for effort.. but it looks useless if its manual.. i would of understood if he had a automatic trans swap.. well if he's 90 percent of the time on the shifter

Tnhatch03
07-13-2008, 10:31 PM
where i see that that is definately a cheap and creative way on making an armrest, i just wish maybe the fabric matched a little better.

props to you for doing something unique.

and welcome to ephatch.

drkdhar
07-13-2008, 10:34 PM
yea i know it looks kinda messy for now, but like i said i have more cosmetic issues to deal with to make it look better. gonna wrap it up with more suede fabric to clean the look up a little. It doesnt interfere much with the handbrake really..plus when both the seat and back u really cant see anything except the armrest..Feels good enough for now till i get enough money to buy a nice one..

drkdhar
07-13-2008, 10:37 PM
plus i do a lil long distance driving from time to time and it would really make a difference during the commute..

kprocivic
07-13-2008, 10:39 PM
props to you. i loled when i seen it. anyway if you like it rock it.

drkdhar
07-13-2008, 10:49 PM
oh ya ive been around for some time (march 07) just remade my acc when the whole thing was revamped..

EP3_U_SEE
07-14-2008, 12:02 AM
good and cheap option i believe. :rockon:

minivan_assassin
07-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Props for creativity. If it makes you more comfortable when you drive then rock on.

I've never really seen the need for an armrest, though. Over the years I've gotten in the habit of resting my hand on the shifter for shifting/radio fidgeting activities. People drive differently.

shanewdude
07-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Sorry, but thats hideous... derived from the english word hide, meaning go bury it before it grows eyes and a mouth and starts biting back. And who got the idea that woodgrain looks good in an ep3 anyway???? Try driving fast enough so that you dont need an armrest to relax... I think thatz what honda was thinking :puke:

Why all the hate? Dude wants an armrest, builds armrest, and others might copy him if they want one too. You could find a nicer way to tell a noob that you don't like his stuff.

Dude you should of bought a ford..

So a Ford is better than an EP with an armrest? Hmmm... building an armrest that doesn't look great negates all the other strengths of the car... :shocked:

props to you. i loled when i seen it. anyway if you like it rock it.

Yah, good attitude. We need more people trying things that are out of the box a little... that 's how new stuff happens. :yo:

Elise98
07-14-2008, 08:26 AM
i give him 5 points for effort.. but it looks useless if its manual.. i would of understood if he had a automatic trans swap.. well if he's 90 percent of the time on the shifter

How is it useless if it's manual. You accelerate, get to the gear you want to stay in, and your done, armrest just became useful.

MugenReplica
07-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Dude you should of bought a ford.. sorry.. it doesnt seem functional for the ep.. but good luck if it makes u happy.. by the way welcome..

Constructive criticism is acceptable.

You made three posts to say you thought his idea was not well thought out. I have no problem with people voicing their opinions, but please keep it to one post for bashing on somebody elses idea. Two ONLY if you're going to be constructive with your criticism and not bash again.

PLAY NICE, PLEASE.

*Armrest could use a little work, but IMO it looks functinal. Just put a touch more work into it and it will be a beauty.

jtyler05si
07-14-2008, 08:53 AM
isn't there somewhere we can buy the material that our seats are made of?
I think there is... i would suggest using that. It would make it look worlds better.

Also what happens when you move the seat forward/backward?

jimmyjames
07-14-2008, 09:04 AM
i give him 5 points for effort.. but it looks useless if its manual.. i would of understood if he had a automatic trans swap.. well if he's 90 percent of the time on the shifterOnly ricers go around with their right hand on the shift knob; they never know when they'll need to drop a gear and race!
If you spend 90% of the time with your right hand there, you may be a ricer.

Props on the DIY arm rest.
My 6 speed CL Type S has a nice arm rest; it slides forward and back and has storage underneath. I use it all the time on long drives, I wish the EP had one.

trogdor48430
07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
i could see it useful for long highway trips

ep3civic2nr
07-14-2008, 01:04 PM
DIY FTW

any new pics?

ep_hatcher_510
07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Nice, props to you for thinking and creating one. you should get some fabric that matches the seat more and see if you can mount it better.

KrypTOniTE
07-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Only ricers go around with their right hand on the shift knob; they never know when they'll need to drop a gear and race!

My 6 speed CL Type S has a nice arm rest; it slides forward and back and has storage underneath. I use it all the time on long drives, I wish the EP had one.
umm okay..

oneglory
07-14-2008, 07:03 PM
version 1, now lets see version 2 with a better build quality. Nice ingenuity.

lonestar
07-15-2008, 06:48 PM
props to a nugga with a useful idea! arm rest are not ricer at all that's the only thing i would change on the ep besides the motor and tranny. love the car since day one. playas dont hate appreciate! might not work for some but others like myself it does, please bro post a DIY on this once you perfect it.

liquid cooled
07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
I like the idea, needs a little work, interested to see how it turns out. I would probably steal an armrest off another honda of some type with storage and what not in it, and modify it to fit the EP if I did it. That should make long drives way more comfortable.

crhatch02
07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
i love the idea of the armrest, could use some better structurization but I like it

Stanz0r
07-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Functional, cheaper than the alternatives, and creative. Props on it. :thumb:

(although I'd work on the shape of it as it looks like a limp wang :mbiggrin: )

dashehonda
07-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Only ricers go around with their right hand on the shift knob; they never know when they'll need to drop a gear and race!

Plus the whole "bad for your tranny" thing. I never rest my hand on the shfiter, it wears out synchros prematurely.

disbkoontsa
07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Have you gotten it on the dyno yet? What were your HP gains?:mconfused:

i dont see why everyone is being such an ass and teasing this dude. when i got into the first ep i had i was liek damn no armrest.

yea his might look ghetto, but it gets the job done.

to the OP. put some mroe work into it and make it look badass. im sure a handful of us would be down to make one once there is a DIY

EggShellSi
07-20-2008, 06:23 PM
DIY FTW

any new pics?

I think its unique. This was his first attempt and it works. Now that thats done, he can take his time and develop another and make it more eye pleasing.

I agree with Ep3civic2nr you should make a DIY.:mbiggrin:

illusionsoflife
07-20-2008, 06:55 PM
wow:mrolleyes: .. you must be a redneck.. why would you wanna put a armrest
right above the ebrake?.. poor ep.. i say take that awful thing out..

You must be new here rite?

Dude you should of bought a ford.. sorry.. it doesnt seem functional for the ep.. but good luck if it makes u happy.. by the way welcome..

umm okay..

do you realize how big of an idiot you made yourself look. it doesnt seem functional? are you shifting 100 percent of the time? think before speaking. it usually makes things better.

Stanz0r
07-20-2008, 07:06 PM
it doesnt seem functional? are you shifting 100 percent of the time?

Misfire on cylinder 1!

oneglory
07-20-2008, 08:48 PM
alright. Thats enough.

OP, I apologize for the people who can't control themselves.