PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Intalling complete exhaust.

jtyler05si
07-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Okay, well as some may know from my other thread in the Engine section... I didnt get to take any pics of the installation of my exhaust so... ya bare with me.

First I would suggest getting some PB Blaster (imo, much better than WD-40)
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/blaster/blaster003%20023340.jpg

Tools i used:
Socket wrench
-12mm
-14mm
-atleast one extension (i used one long one and one short one.)
breaker bar
-probably need the 1/2" to 3/8" drive converter.
i think that is all....

Depending on age of car, condition of exhaust, prior weather conditions, etc. I would start spraying all bolts down every day or so prior to install day. this will help when the time comes.

Now, before I start, I will let you know that I replaced the header, cat, and midpipe. I did not replace the axle-back. This made it a bit easier because I dropped the cat and midpipe as one piece. will explain later.

the parts i bought: (pics will be posted in the next few days.)

-Type S stock header,yr. unknown, bought from someone on this site, $40 shipped
-Type S stock Cat, '05, bought from someone on rsx forum, $100 shipped
-Type S Midpipe, '05, bought from someone on rsx forum, $90 shipped
-o2 extension, bought off rsx (above) website, little under $25 shipped
-random gaskets,bolts,nuts, acuraautomotiveparts.org $25 shipped.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk212/jtyler05si/000_0084.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk212/jtyler05si/000_0085.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk212/jtyler05si/000_0086.jpg

For the gaskets, bolts, nuts and for the larger version of the manifold and piping pics see http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catlistallcomp.jsp?inputstate=3&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+MANIFOLD&ListAll=All&systemcomp=
click on exhaust mani and exhaust piping....

Removing Exhaust:

I jacked up the front of the car...
note: just a reminder...jackstands=a must

I began with the header...
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk212/jtyler05si/Manifold.gif

Refer to this picture for reference (#).

First I removed the shield. The top two bolts (11) are very easy. Most likely they will not be rusted. The bottom two bolts (8) will be a bit harder. You can then remove the shield from a bove.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk212/jtyler05si/000_0087.jpg

Next I removed the header itself. the top five bolts are best removed from above. this can be easily done with a longer "breaker bar" with no extension or one extension depending on which bolt you take out.
The next thing I did was remove the two spring bolts connecting the header to the cat. they may be a bit rusted but they are fairly easy to get to. After disconnecting the header from the engine and cat, the only thing holding it on is the bracket. there are two bolts on the bottom flange of the header connecting it to the bracket. Remove these. You may need a loonnngg extension for this. I found it easier.Once these bolts are out the header is free to go. I gently let it rest on the axle and such ( i was still below the car), then i grabbed it from above and removed it gently so that i dont scratch the valve cover.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk212/jtyler05si/000_0090.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk212/jtyler05si/000_0088.jpg

**now, if you plan on installing any type S specific header, the bracket will not be useful, in fact it will be in the way. To remove the bracket there are two bolts that connect the bracket to the engine. these bolts are directly in front of the axle going to the passenger wheel. you have to use a wrench to get them off. I did not remove them, because in the process i found that you have to remove the cover that is over the axle. this is because the space between the plastic axle cover and the engine is smaller than the length of the bolts holding the bracket on. So I left it on, good idea...probably not, but oh well. i will get back into this later.

So now, we have 5 things holding up the remainder of the exhaust. I will deal with two right now:

After removing the header, i then unplugged the two sensors from the cat. If you follow the wires from the sensors up about 6-8" (from the main sensor) you will find a collection of connectors. I unplugged the secondary first to get it out of the way. i just used some pliers to grip it (while holding the release button down). wiggle a little and it comes out pretty easily. the main o2 connector is a little different. first remove the connector from the metal tab that it is connected to. I believe there is a spot on the connector to squeeze in order to release itself from the tab. Once removed it will just want to hang there. disconnect it just like the secondary connecter. follow secondary sensor wire back, you should find one white clip holding the wire to the body, undo that with a screwdriver ( put it in the side and twist gently), it should pop open easily. keep following back and there should be a little metal bracket thing also holking it to the bottom of the car. remove it by unscrewing the one screw.

the next thing i did was go to the rear of the car and unscrew the two spring bolts between the axle-back and the midpipe. before completely unscrewing it, i put the jack underneath the rear of the midpipe.

After disconnecting the midpipe from the axle-back, I removed the rubber hanger from the car. so now the rear of the midpipe was being held up by only the jack.

I went back up to the front and removed the rubber hanger that is located at the front of the cat from the body. now there is nothing holding the exhaust up except the jack in the back and you holding the front....

remove cat and midpipe from under the car and do what you like.

I did not have an o2 sensor wrench or whatever so I removed the four tiny bolts the hold the cover on the cat. this allows you to get a wrench in there to remove the sensors. Be gentle with them, they are delicate. oh, and DO NOT SPRAY THEM WITH ANY LUBES or anything, this will ruin them.

now onto the...

Installation of the new exhaust:

Parts you might need: (part #'s from acuraautomotiveparts.org)

note:this are parts for a type s exhaust not ep exhaust!

new gaskets:
mani-gasket, part # 18115-PRB-A01, illustration # 4
header-to-cat gasket, part # 18229-S6M-A61, illustration # 14
cat-to-midpipe gasket, part # 18393-SS0-J30, illustration # 22/23
midpipe-to-axleback gasket, part # 18229-SP0-003, illustration # 16

bolts/ nuts:

( i did not use any new bolts or nuts except for the ones connecting the cat to the midpipe. the rest were in very good shape.)

Nuts (neccesary), part # 90212-SA5-003, comes with 3 nuts (there are 3 needed between cat and midpipe)
spring bolt, part # 18231-SR3-A22, if replacing all you will need 4
spring, part # 18230-SV4-000, same as above
for the header-to-engine bolts, three were actual bolts,
part # 95701-10030-08. the other two were threaded posts with locking nuts.
nuts, part # 90212-SA5-003, comes with the neccesary 2.
threaded posts, not sure about part #...

First install the old sensors into the new cat. this will require you to remove the cat-cover (4-tiny bolts).

Again i went from front to back.

To install the header back in, you may want a helping hand. I had someone start the first bolt while i held the header in place from below. Don't forget the gasket! So put in all five top bolts from above.

*Now, we are back facing the bracket problem...here is what i did: i left it's two bolts semi loose so that the bracket drooped in order for me to get the incoming header in its position. I left it like this until i got the cat bolted up.

Next I installed the cat. pretty self explanatory... i lifted it up and hooked the rubber hanger up on the hanger to help keep the 20 lb. bastard from giving me a cramp in my arm.
*note, those rubber hangers go on in a breeze if you lube up the tip of the hanger posts with a bit of wd 40 from your finger.
I proceeded to put the two spring bolts in connecting the cat to the header. Again, don't forget the gasket!
Reconnect the o2 sensors. I bought an o2 sensor extension for the main o2 sensor. IT IS A MUST! the type s cat is a few inches back from where the ep cat sits. this distance is made up by the shorter midpipe of course. the original main sensor wiring will not reach unless you stretch them out really far. the secondary will reach okay. the screw clip that holds the secondary wire will not go back in now. i ziptied the primary wires to the the secondary to get them sucked up tight to the body. ***If you wanted to do this perfectly, buy two extensions***

Next, I rested the midpipe under the car, connected the rubber hanger at the rear of the midpipe to the car hanger posts.
I then maneuvered the front of the midpipe onto the three posts sticking out of the cat. Again don't forget to remove the old crush ring gasket (if you buy a used cat) and put in the new one!
These three bolts are the ones that I ended up buying and using because the originals were pretty rusty. torque them down.

Now, go to the rear and connect the midpipe to the axle back using two spring bolts. once again, make sure there is a gasket in there... you shouldnt have to buy new spring bolts for these.

Last thing to do, figure out what the hell you want to do with that damn header bracket... here is what i did:
now that the exhaust was in its comfortable resting position, I tightened up the brackets two bolts holding it the engine. If look at the pic towards top you will notice the ep bracket has two arms. there were two holes in the ep header flange for these arms. on the type s header, there is one hole on the driver side for a bracket and this does not match up with the ep bracket.
But... if you proceed to tighten up the bracket you will find that the passenger side arm is just sitting there in la-la land not in the way of anything and the driver side arm ends up pressing up against the flange. Now i wouldn't normally leave something like this, thinking that it could damage something, but it seems to be maybe helpful. it pushes on the flange, at a safe distance away from the pipe, i might add, in a way the holds the header up and towards the engine...

I will see in time if it starts to vibrate and make noises or get really loose. i will let you know at a later time....

I believe this is the end...again sorry for the lack of pictures, I hope to soon get some pictures up of all the parts and stuff. this will be updated in the next few days with what pics i do have.

If any one finds any typos or missing parts please let me know

FoReVaPmP
07-14-2008, 07:37 AM
:clap2: Nice!......

jtyler05si
07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
:clap2: Nice!......

thank you sir.... i appreciate the positive feedback...

again i am sorry about the lack of pics, i will hopefully be putting the ones i have up.

Oh, the story about the pictures:

I took a camera out with me to take pics but it ran out of memory after 4 pictures. it is my sisters so i couln't go through and deletes some old pictures.

simcivic08
07-15-2008, 02:08 PM
nice write up. now i'm all messed. today i had an apointment to install my stock type-S headers, type-S specific megan racing test pipe, type-S specific T1R mid pipe and the spoon axle back and they did not have the headers gasket and didn't know wich to order. Also i don't have the O2 extension... and i don't know what gasket i need between the headers and the cat:mconfused: HEEEEELP :mcry:

thechromecoyote
07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
My little man is all grown up :mcry:.... :mbiggrin:

Simcivic08-> Not a problem. You need a Donut gasket to connect the header to the test pipe, a piece of cut gasket material to connect the test pipe to the midpipe, and another donut gasket to connect the T1R mid to the axleback

Header Donut Gasket, Part #14
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s6m0_e04.gif

Midpipe Donut Gasket, Part # 16
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s6m0_b02.gif

As a side note, I dont know what the end of the T1R midpipe looks like and whether the donut gasket from Acura will fit. You might need to track one down at an automotive parts store, and they generally cost around $20-40

simcivic08
07-15-2008, 04:31 PM
thanks, so, is the donut gasket # 18229-S6M-A51 or 18229-S6M-A61. And what's the difference between the civic Si headers gasket and the rsx-S one

PAPITUYO326
07-15-2008, 04:34 PM
holy crap thats a longer write up than I wrote for my head swap lol.

Nicely done.

BeaterEP
07-15-2008, 07:03 PM
F yeah, this is great!

Good write-up, looking forward to getting this done myself in the next couple of weeks.

If I manage to <del>sucker someone in to helping me out</del> find a buddy with a couple extra hours, I'll be sure to get some pics to ya. :biggrin:

jtyler05si
07-16-2008, 05:25 AM
My little man is all grown up :mcry:.... :mbiggrin:

haha, yes master jedi you have taught me well.. :mbiggrin:

thanks, so, is the donut gasket # 18229-S6M-A51 or 18229-S6M-A61. And what's the difference between the civic Si headers gasket and the rsx-S one

for the motor-to-header gasket, 18115-PRB-A01 is the part number. since you are using a test pipe, not a cat, you will need just that normal gasket material stuff to go between your header and test pipe, like mr. coyote said.

clubrsx sells the extensions for brand new in their market place.
http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/CLU-O2EXT-p-EXO2.html
this is the link.

the difference is that the flange is larger...since the type s midpipe is a 2.25 or 2.5 diameter versus the ep 1.75 diameter midpipe, the header opening at the bottom has to be larger. therefore you need a larger diameter gasket.
coyote correct me if i am wrong.

jtyler05si
07-16-2008, 05:27 AM
F yeah, this is great!

Good write-up, looking forward to getting this done myself in the next couple of weeks.

If I manage to <del>sucker someone in to helping me out</del> find a buddy with a couple extra hours, I'll be sure to get some pics to ya. :biggrin:

its not that bad to do yourself...
the only part that is nice to have someone else, is having someone hold the new header/gasket in place so you can start the bolts that go into the engine. this is very possible to do by yourself.

jtyler05si
07-16-2008, 05:42 AM
i added what pics i have....

BeaterEP
07-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Pics, sweet!

jtyler05si
07-16-2008, 05:59 AM
not much but a few

skoundrelusa
07-16-2008, 11:13 AM
nice write-up

richmond6304
07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
sweet diy:israel:

heyvortek
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
by the time u read the write up youll be able to take one bolt out....took me n a suker..i mean my fren like 4hrs...its a pain but worth it...nice write up:mbiggrin:

jtyler05si
07-16-2008, 12:31 PM
i did it myself, with my dads help to hold the new header in place while i put a bolt in. i think it took probably 3.5 to 4 hours. granted my original bolts and nuts were in really good shape compared to some of the other people i talk to....

some say be prepared to cut some bolts off, because they will be too rusted. i was able to reuse my spring bolts between the cat and header, because they were still in fairly good shape...

i dont know how that happens, it has seen some bitchin' winters...

edit: oh thanks guys for all the comments...

frm_808
07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
how much bigger is the type-s exhuast than the ep?

jtyler05si
07-16-2008, 12:46 PM
how much bigger is the type-s exhuast than the ep?

the answer:

RSX-S (because Base has a similar design to ours) has a longer Header, longer downpipe to the cat, and a shorter midpipe. The Axleback is likewise longer and sits about 5" longer than ours once installed.

The RSX-S Cat is higher flowing, and the whole system has a larger ID; Our stock exhaust system is ~1.75"-1.85" whereas the RSX-S exhaust system is 2.0"-2.25 (02-04= 2.0"-2.15"/ 05-06= 2.0"-2.25")

frm_808
07-16-2008, 01:18 PM
the answer:

thanks

minivan_assassin
07-22-2008, 06:14 PM
by the time u read the write up youll be able to take one bolt out....took me n a suker..i mean my fren like 4hrs...its a pain but worth it...nice write up:mbiggrin:

Anyone know what size bolts hold the midpipe to the cat.

civictype_r04
07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Good write up.

jtyler05si
07-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Anyone know what size bolts hold the midpipe to the cat.
no sir,

they sell them on acuraautomotiveparts.org for like 8 bucks a piece. thats pretty shitty, i understand wanting to find bolts that would fit in there.

but if you do want to buy the factory ones....
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+PIPE-MUFFLER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Good write up.

why thank you

minivan_assassin
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
sorry I meant the nut size. installing my test pipe today and did not want to guess

jtyler05si
07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
oh ok...

well when you buy them from acura/honda they are labeled "BAG OF 10X NUT, SELF-LOCK (10MM)"

damn... i am not sure about this...

actually, PM thechromecoyote. you should get an answer from him

edit: haha i found this..does it help...idk but it is pretty neat.
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Screws/Hex_Screws.htm

so i am guessing your normal M10 nuts from Home Depot will fit...
I could be wrong though. i hope Honda didn't put some "special" thread on their damn bolts.

minivan_assassin
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Sorry, posting short sentences from my blackberry ftl.

I just needed to know the sizes of the bolts so that I'd know which sockets to use. I like having all the sockets I'm going to use up front instead of shimmying out from under the car to try different sockets and ending up with sockets everywhere.

I got it done, tho. Good writeup.

jtyler05si
07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
haha....sorry, um 12mm and 14mm i believe... i cant remember what i used for the 4 little bolts on the cat cover.....

edit: i'll add it in 1st post...thanks

BeaterEP
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Now I'm pissed.

Thought I had my exhaust pieced together, was just waiting on what I thought was an '06 RSX-S catalytic converter.

Wrong. I'm not sure if this guy is a complete retard, or just a fuckin scumbag that's trying to screw me out of a few bucks, but the part this guy sent, while it is a cat of some sort, and will bolt to the midpipe, will not bolt to the header...because it's missing a downpipe. There's a flange with the same bolt pattern/shape as the header-to-cat connection, but that flange is attached directly to the front end of the cat...not to the top of the ~2' length of pipe that is supposed to be angled up to the header connection.

Seriously, I'm ready to lose it.
God, I hate shit like this. :thumbd:

/hijack

jtyler05si
07-31-2008, 05:43 AM
dude im sorry...gotta hate those fuckers out there that make it hard for everyone else.
best of luck man.

frm_808
07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
sorry to hear bro...kick his ass

BeaterEP
07-31-2008, 08:59 PM
dude im sorry...gotta hate those fuckers out there that make it hard for everyone else.
best of luck man.

Yeah, sorry to hijack your excellent DIY, I just needed to vent. Still haven't heard from that $%^&*#%, but I at least figured out that the cat he sent me came off a friggin S2000...WTF?!

sorry to hear bro...kick his ass

I intend to let Paypal kick his sorry ass for me...I just hope he's already spent the cash, and is flat broke, so when they yank the money back, he gets overdrafted like a mofo :mbiggrin:

Anyhoo, I managed to find another cat on clubrsx, so that part is at least good...hopefully I'll get mine on in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for the great DIY!

BeaterEP
09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
So, first off, get a friend to help you out! Seriously, this would have been worlds easier if I'd had a second set of hands to work with. Things like installing the new header, pulling the old cat/midpipe and positioning the new one, shit like that...royal PITA when flying solo. :mconfused:

Removal of everything was pretty straightforward, Jtyler did a great write-up! :thumbu:

Install was a bit more difficult, but patience is key here. Since I was alone, am very "methodical" (anal retentive), and hadn't done this before it took me all day.
I managed to pull the EP3 header bracket, because there was no damned way I was leaving some silly thing like that in there if I was gonna pull everything else :mmad: Basically, if you wait until you've pulled the cat/midpipe, access to the passenger axle cover is a lot cleaner. There's just three bolts to remove to get it off, and then you can pull the stock header bracket and replace it with the RSX one (bolt it in to the left-hand hole that the EP3 bracket left behind :mwink:) Then replace the axle cover and you're in business!
RSX-S header is a tiiiight fit in the EP3 space...will not go in from the top, since the flange that attaches to the cat is HUGE! Had to work it in from the back of the subframe, sorta up over that and then forward and up in to position (this is where that extra set of hands would have been really useful)
The other snag I hit was the dude that I got my cat from had removed the three "converter bolts" that connect it to the midpipe (think wheel hub studs, but smaller), and I couldn't get two of them back in...and since he'd stripped the shit outta those things, along with all three nuts, they were pretty much useless anyway.
Threw some 10mm bolts on in their place as a temporary fix, but I'll be getting the studs/nuts soon, and I've got a local shop that'll throw 'em on for me (fuckin weird angle on one of them means I can't just smack 'em in with a hammer, so the $30 in labor makes more sense to me) The only reason I'm really concerned with this is that the heat shield won't go back on the cat with those big nuts on there, instead of the flat-topped studs. See? Anal retentive. :mbiggrin:

All in all though, not too bad. I like the throatier tone, the butt dyno's tellin me there's some slight mid-range pull improvement, and the fact that I can probably pass emissions now is a load off my mind.
The car seems to drive a little nicer overall, probably should have come with this exhaust stock.

jtyler05si
09-06-2008, 02:08 PM
My Experience With this Job

Awesome!

I can understand needing a second hand..... I got lucky and had my dad start the first bolts from above when installing the new header, while i held it from below.

Oh, actually it is possible to squeeze the dc5 header in from above. thats what i did. i put a towel over the VC as to not scratch it, and squeezed it through (it takes some akward angles to get it in), then let the header rest on the bars underneath while i got back under the car to position it (thats when my dad walked by...).

anywho thats great that you got it done. I'm sorry for the troubles with the cat. sounds like a shitty guy that sold it. i hope you got for cheap.
good luck!

BeaterEP
09-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah, pretty good price, and the guy was nice enough. Thinking he may not have realized how jacked up the bolts were...I didn't really notice myself until I'd PB Blasted the hell out of 'em right before I was going to try and hammer them back in to their mounts...it was only after I'd wipe a lot of the old rust/crap off that I saw how stripped they were.

No prob though, got replacements on the way, and a shop that will pull the cat, press them in and remount/torque the whole deal for like $30 (at this point, I just don't feel like playing with this anymore! :mbiggrin:)

Seriously, this DIY was invaluable. Never would have tried this on my own without it!

Thanks again! :thumbu:

thechromecoyote
09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
you dont need the cat heatshield. Most people remove them anyways bc they tend to bang after awhile.

BeaterEP
09-08-2008, 09:48 AM
you dont need the cat heatshield. Most people remove them anyways bc they tend to bang after awhile.

I figured as much, I just like to keep things "in their proper place" when doing anything like this :mbiggrin: (it's that anal retentive gene acting up again!)

And anyway, I don't like having those odd-shaped nuts and bolts on there, I want my stuff as OEM as possible, so I figure since the studs are going on in a couple of days anyway, might as well throw the heat shield on too.

thechromecoyote
09-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I figured as much, I just like to keep things "in their proper place" when doing anything like this :mbiggrin: (it's that anal retentive gene acting up again!)

And anyway, I don't like having those odd-shaped nuts and bolts on there, I want my stuff as OEM as possible, so I figure since the studs are going on in a couple of days anyway, might as well throw the heat shield on too.

Understood, I went through the same crisis for a day or two. You might find that the upper portion of the shield sits too closely to the car as the cat sits a smidge higher than the stock one does. When my conscience for perfection drove me to jack the car up again I discovered I couldnt put it on... so I decided to run w/o :gheywa:

BeaterEP
09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Understood, I went through the same crisis for a day or two. You might find that the upper portion of the shield sits too closely to the car as the cat sits a smidge higher than the stock one does. When my conscience for perfection drove me to jack the car up again I discovered I couldnt put it on... so I decided to run w/o :gheywa:

Definitely good to know, I'll be sure to hang out in the garage while they're reinstalling the cat, see if I'm gonna have fit issues.
Thanks for the heads up man!

MadLorEP3
05-08-2010, 12:55 AM
ill be doing this soon

MBaG
06-09-2010, 02:55 PM
how do i take off the rubber hangers off the axleback? do i just force it out?

EDIT: i guess imma WD-40 it and use some screw drivers.

usedep3
06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
how do i take off the rubber hangers off the axleback? do i just force it out?

EDIT: i guess imma WD-40 it and use some screw drivers.

yup, just lube it up and it'll slip right out