PDA

View Full Version : spongy brake pedal? already bleeded brakes

anachonda
07-15-2008, 02:33 AM
well i have a 2004 ep3 with stock brakes and the brake pedal feels really spongy does anyone else have this issue? I just got done bleeding the lines and thought that would make a diffrence but it didnt maybe i did something wrong?

i did it in this order with the car off the whole time

1. had my helper hold down the brake pedal

2. i lossened the bleeder valve 1/4 turn

3 waiting till fluid stopped flowing then closed valve

4 helper let go of the pedal

i did this 5 times for each wheel in this order. back passenger, back driver, front passenger, front driver.

bmyers4321
07-15-2008, 05:53 AM
there is probly air still in the lines or the resevoir went dry. id say bleed them again. when we do this at work sometimes it takes quite a few more times than 5 on each wheel. and make sure when he holds down the brake after you tighten it have him pump them up then hold down. usually 3 pumps is good.

HondaFreak
07-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Bleeding the brakes to me is a complete flush of ALL the old fluid. This means you need to buy at least 2 small bottles of brake fluid. You also MUST bleed them in order. The order is 1st=driver front 2nd=passenger front 3rd=passenger rear 4th=driver rear.
When I bleed mine I do it by myself. Nowhere in the Helms manual for our cars does it indicate "how" to bleed them, just in what order. I personally pump the brake pedal so that I pump at least 1 reservoir full of brake fluid through each caliper. It helps if you can use a different color brake fluid each time you bleed them so you can see the old fluid is flushed out and all that remains is the new fluid.

I have a sneaking suspicion your not pumping the brakes a lot when bleeding them.

Christian

beechstreet
07-15-2008, 07:20 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion your not pumping the brakes a lot when bleeding them.

agreed. gotta pump the shit outta that brake pedal to the point your leg hurts

NHBP ep3
07-15-2008, 04:12 PM
u have to pump it alot once the bleeder is open with the resivor top off?

spike 03EP3
07-16-2008, 07:26 AM
u have to pump it alot once the bleeder is open with the resivor top off?

NO!! Never pump the pedal with the master cylinder cap off and/or the bleeder open. With everything closed, pump the pedal 3 or 4 times and HOLD it, have someone open the bleeder, let the air/fluid exit, and close the bleeder. It's important that the brake pedal always has pressure on it until the bleeder is closed. Never pump the pedal when the bleeder is open.

Like Honda Freak said before, flush the system with NEW brake fluid, don't use a open bottle that has been sitting around for a while. Brake fluid loves to suck up moisture, and the more moisture in the fluid, the lower the boiling point.

mustclime
07-16-2008, 07:58 AM
do not use a vacume pump.....:mangel:

NHBP ep3
07-17-2008, 12:37 PM
if the resovor top is off and ur bleeding ur brakes how is that bad if u keep it full during the bleeding process?

spike 03EP3
07-17-2008, 01:17 PM
if the resovor top is off and ur bleeding ur brakes how is that bad if u keep it full during the bleeding process?

The fluid could splash out, and brake fluid absorbs ambient moisture like a sponge, it's just a real good idea to keep it on.

minivan_assassin
07-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Bleeding the brakes to me is a complete flush of ALL the old fluid. This means you need to buy at least 2 small bottles of brake fluid. You also MUST bleed them in order. The order is 1st=driver front 2nd=passenger front 3rd=passenger rear 4th=driver rear.
When I bleed mine I do it by myself. Nowhere in the Helms manual for our cars does it indicate "how" to bleed them, just in what order. I personally pump the brake pedal so that I pump at least 1 reservoir full of brake fluid through each caliper. It helps if you can use a different color brake fluid each time you bleed them so you can see the old fluid is flushed out and all that remains is the new fluid.

Christian

+1. Are you using a clear tube on the nipple? I use about 9". That way you can see whether or not you're still pushing up bubbles. A couple pumps aren't going to cut it. Do them in order, keep the reservoir topped, and keep going until all the fluid has been replaced.

AliG-EP3
07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm glad I read this, I've been doing it wrong for a little while now...oops