PDA

View Full Version : Green Goo for Flat Tires

dave6riv
07-15-2008, 08:59 AM
has any one ever used the green goo for flat tires. i dont know how or where, but this is my second flat tire from a nail in 2 months. was thinking about getting some if its good.

rocketep
07-15-2008, 09:28 AM
its only a temp. fix and not a good one

jtyler05si
07-15-2008, 09:32 AM
i used it on my dirt bike....

i would think it make your tires heavier than they need to be.

kprocivic
07-15-2008, 09:38 AM
its a temp fix. just go to the tire shop they should be able to plug the hole 5-10 bucks.

s10blazed
07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Definitely don't rely on the goo. It is only good if you have a tire that is GOING flat and want to get to a place to have it fixed. If it is already totally flat it won't be a sure fix. I personally hate the stuff and would recommend just using the spare.

I worked in a tire shop for a few years and one time this older lady brought in an older 70s Jag. She said it was in her garage most of the time and she put "a few cans of tire goo in over the winter when it went flat." I took the wheel off the car and noticed it was heavy. It was an old tire (prolly original from the 70s) and a big ass steel rim. I didn't think much of it. It was common practice to just yank out the whole stem when replacing them to make the task go a bit quicker. I laid the wheel down and yanked it.... and tire goo sprayed out like a geyser! It was SPLASHING off of the 20+ ft ceiling and made a gigantic mess over everything. The smell was terrible, it was hard as hell to clean up, and just really ruined my day.

Don't be lazy and just swap the spare and get the tire fixed properly.

dave6riv
07-15-2008, 01:04 PM
yea im goingto take it over to discount tire, they fix them for no charge. i was just wondering if any one had ever used it.

sorry to s10blazed for that story, that sucks

Lucid Moments
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
That stuff can be pretty nasty, but its great for on the side of the road emergencies. Before my mom died I made sure she always had a can in her car. She couldn't change a tire, but she could screw that onto her tire and use it.

EricP3
07-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Definitely don't rely on the goo. It is only good if you have a tire that is GOING flat and want to get to a place to have it fixed. If it is already totally flat it won't be a sure fix. I personally hate the stuff and would recommend just using the spare.

I worked in a tire shop for a few years and one time this older lady brought in an older 70s Jag. She said it was in her garage most of the time and she put "a few cans of tire goo in over the winter when it went flat." I took the wheel off the car and noticed it was heavy. It was an old tire (prolly original from the 70s) and a big ass steel rim. I didn't think much of it. It was common practice to just yank out the whole stem when replacing them to make the task go a bit quicker. I laid the wheel down and yanked it.... and tire goo sprayed out like a geyser! It was SPLASHING off of the 20+ ft ceiling and made a gigantic mess over everything. The smell was terrible, it was hard as hell to clean up, and just really ruined my day.

Don't be lazy and just swap the spare and get the tire fixed properly.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA:rofl:

bmyers4321
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
imo that is the worst stuff ever right next to fixaflat. when you fix the tire it has to be cleaned out and it sucks to do. but this is all coming from a person that has to do tires. for a person that has a hard time changing a tire then ya it is ok as long as they can get it fixed right away. but for someone who can change a tire imo it is just being lazy.

v1c10us
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
its good for what its intended for; its late at night, you have a flat tire, you need to get home, its going to start raining soon, etc etc.
So you squirt this stuff into youre tire and take it home, thats it.
Its not for driving on and you cant go over certain speeds without it being very dangerous.