PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Club SS install / Cable help!

shibiku2
07-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Can you guys help me out? I can't seem to get the cables out of the assembly to swap them out. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

slo_k20
07-15-2008, 07:40 PM
awww i just switched mine back to stock 2 days ago, i should have taken pics and done a diy. anyway, to get the cables out of the bottom of the shifter, use a nice big adjustable wrench. fit the wrench on, and for the left cable, rotate the square counterclockwise, for the right rotate the square clockwise. and reverse the procedure for install.

skoolnu
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
awww i just switched mine back to stock 2 days ago, i should have taken pics and done a diy. anyway, to get the cables out of the bottom of the shifter, use a nice big adjustable wrench. fit the wrench on, and for the left cable, rotate the square counterclockwise, for the right rotate the square clockwise. and reverse the procedure for install.

It can be a bastard, i had a hell of a time. like he said, nice and big... even a good long straight blade if you dont have a big enough wrench. its damn worth it tho.

03ep3 stapel
07-26-2008, 04:42 PM
same here

wizDUMB
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
any diy pics of this install???

jtyler05si
07-30-2008, 05:29 AM
I searched "Buddy Club Short shifter install". it was the second thread, out of 3!

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44071&highlight=buddy+club+short+shifter+install

Highlight:

a member from clubep3.net sent me this DIY in a pm so i thought id post it up to help you out, there is a diagram at the bottom for visual aide

ok your gonna need a ratchet (i used 1/4 but 3/8 is fine), and extention, 8mm socket i believe is the size(have others in case) small flathead screw driver preferably pocket size, have a philips too. ill provide a picture of the whole assembly at the end

1. start by removing the shift knob. it will unscrew off.

2A. carefully (and i stress this alot) pry the plastic dash trim around the boot off. this is where that small screw drive comes into play. carefully pry around the edge till if comes off. disconnect the connector holding the hazard button. then pull the entire peice off the shift lever.

2B. also it is a little more work and time but a safer way. remove the glove box. there are two glove box stops remove those by pushing from the outside they will pop in and remove them. then on the bottom there are two bolts that hold the glove box on remove them and pull glove box out. be sure to hold the glove box because it will fall. then take a ratchet with and 11" extension wraped in a rag and come from behind the platic peice around the shifter and starting at the pass side upper corner and push it out then push below that to get it started. there should be two clips that have been undone and you can pull the remainder of it off by hand. careful not to break them.

3. this will make it a little easier. there will be a small metal bar held on by a few screws. remove the screw and the bar to make a little more room for when removing the shifter. it does help.

4. now once all of the trim is out of the way start by removing the the clips holding the shifter cables on. they come off easy but be careful not to drop them. its not easy to recover them if you do. then remove the cables from the shifter. make sure you remember or mark which side is which.

5. ok still one more step to remove the shifter cables. once the clips and cable are off the top look further down. the cables are connected to the bottom of the shifter mechanism. you will need to rotate them toward the opening then pull it out and you have them free. these can prove to be difficult but they will twist.

6. now with the cables done remove the the 4 bolts holding the shifter to the car and place them aside.

7. now comes the tricky part. removing the entire assembly. really all you can do here is move it around till you get the right angle to pull it out. this is where i spend the most time at. keep at it it will come out. do the same for when but you New BCSS in.

8. now just reverse all the steps above and you have installed you BCSS. if all goes well it will take you between 30min to 1 hour. let me know the day you are gonna do it so i can keep and eye on this place to pm's if you have any questions.

heres a picture of the entire assembly

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9827/shiftercopyvm2.jpg

the picture is quite large, or else i would [img] post it up

EVOKIN
08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I used a long flat screwdriver to rotate the cable clip in the lower section of the shifter. Use the surrounding area to give your screwdriver leverage.

Rotate:
Left Cable Clip => Counter Clockwise
Right Cable Clip => Clockwise

After the swapped:
Buddy Club SS come with shifter extension and threaded ring which I remove.
1. Remove the silver clip on the rubber boot.
2. I use 3 Metal washer on the shifter to hold up the boot to the shift knob.

Good Luck.

Shead
08-02-2008, 01:13 AM
^good stuff!

slo_k20
08-02-2008, 07:50 AM
after you install it, go ahead and try it out but don't forget to take off the extension. i put my shift knob back on and was like hmmmm this feels exactly like stock what a waste of money haha

RJEP
08-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Did this install about 2 years ago. That part of the removal was a pain for me too. Took me about an hour to remove. Let me see if I saved the DIY pics on one of my memory sticks.

EVOKIN
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh, I did not put the stock knob back on. I'm using aftermarket knob which is shorter.

wizDUMB
08-08-2008, 10:00 AM
good stuff ... thanks for that search

EVOKIN
08-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Here's what I did:

1. Remove the chrome piece on the boot.
2. Find 3 metal washers (I can't remember what size).
3. Put the boot on.
4. Screw the knob on.
5. Happy Shifting.

This is what it look like and save some money for other parts:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/EVOKIN/IMAGE_030-1.jpg

shibiku2
08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
from the dead?! Trying this install again tonight... let the cussin' begin!

dmon
08-17-2008, 10:12 PM
g/l man. the only hard part is the shift cable thingy. but yea just use a long flat head, n just take your time. i did it alone w/o looking at the thread on how to install it, and took me maybe an hour or hour thirty.

maestro
08-23-2008, 08:27 PM
did anyone remove more than the shifter console? Do you need to get behind the glovebox etc?

EVOKIN
08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
did anyone remove more than the shifter console? Do you need to get behind the glovebox etc?
No glovebox. I did remove my radio panel for easy access.

dmon
08-24-2008, 03:57 PM
same like me i took out the radio to. more room for your hands, and theres not enough room for the shiftter to come out...i tihnk, lol i could be wrong, but i did take out the radio part for more room

slo_k20
08-24-2008, 05:38 PM
same like me i took out the radio to. more room for your hands, and theres not enough room for the shiftter to come out...i tihnk, lol i could be wrong, but i did take out the radio part for more room

the radio can stay in, but the radio support needs to come out for clearance.

KrypTOniTE
08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
I was really thinkin of gettin one ... Does it really make a Diffference in feel?
And does it feel like stock?..

maestro
08-25-2008, 12:35 PM
TIP: Before removing the wire clips - tie a small loop/noose on a piece of string and put it on one end of the clips. This will help when removing them in case you DO drop them. It saved my ass twice ESPECIALLY when trying to get them back on after.

EVOKIN
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I was really thinkin of gettin one ... Does it really make a Diffference in feel?
And does it feel like stock?..
IMO, I like it, it feels more direct.