PDA

View Full Version : Just uploaded K20a3-civic-tuned-lo-octane.kal

BlackEP9
07-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I think I finally decided I was tired of buying 91 gas. Anyway I was running on a self-tuned high octane kal before, but its been about 2 years since I messed with it.

I datalogged a WOT run and found that:

1st gear started at around 13.70 A/F and dropped to around 13.10 at shift
2nd gear started at around 13.70 A/F and dropped to around 12.40 at shift
3rd gear started at around 13.2 A/F and dropped to around 11.4 (at 6k rpm to redline)
4th gear started at around 11.67 and dropped to around 11.4 gradually to redline.
5th gear - not done.

I am running a CAI, Neuspeed catback exhaust and DC headers (they should be the california legal non racing ones). I was also running on 91 gas but I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Anyway appears I should take some fuel out starting with 3rd gear at 6k and continuing with 4th gear and probably 5th. Maybe even starting with 2nd. Need a WOT run to check. I guess I will aim for around 13.2 A/F.
Anyway am I on the right track?

Iluvcars
07-16-2008, 05:56 PM
a little bit.It is more complex then that. You should consult a tuner since it is more then fuel, it is also ignition timing that needs to be re-configured.

BlackEP9
07-18-2008, 01:23 AM
a little bit.It is more complex then that. You should consult a tuner since it is more then fuel, it is also ignition timing that needs to be re-configured.

yeah I know, but I thought I remember Hondata saying thats a good first step to do.

clutch797
07-18-2008, 06:59 AM
Here's an idea, post a data log and kal.

T_Virus
07-18-2008, 07:14 AM
I want K-pro...but with the prices for gas...maybe I'll wait...unless getting it tuned with low octane

Ba82Ep3
07-23-2008, 07:37 AM
I think I finally decided I was tired of buying 91 gas. Anyway I was running on a self-tuned high octane kal before, but its been about 2 years since I messed with it.

I datalogged a WOT run and found that:

1st gear started at around 13.70 A/F and dropped to around 13.10 at shift
2nd gear started at around 13.70 A/F and dropped to around 12.40 at shift
3rd gear started at around 13.2 A/F and dropped to around 11.4 (at 6k rpm to redline)
4th gear started at around 11.67 and dropped to around 11.4 gradually to redline.
5th gear - not done.

I am running a CAI, Neuspeed catback exhaust and DC headers (they should be the california legal non racing ones). I was also running on 91 gas but I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Anyway appears I should take some fuel out starting with 3rd gear at 6k and continuing with 4th gear and probably 5th. Maybe even starting with 2nd. Need a WOT run to check. I guess I will aim for around 13.2 A/F.
Anyway am I on the right track?

You need to do more than a WOT KDL. Do a part throttle 2nd gear roll from 2.5k up to your shiftpoint (dont hit the limiter). Add enough throttle to match your position on the tach (5k about 1/2 throttle... 6k about 3/4 throttle, and so on). The idea is to add throttle proportionately through the gear. Then do a WOT pull in 3rd (nail it to the floor as soon as you shift from 2nd to 3rd). If 2nd and 3rd follow the ECU's closed loop AF parameters... you will likely NOT lean out 4th gear and above. Be sure your tranny selection is correct under the parameters tab.

Pull up your KAL and KDL. Set KManager to follow cam angles (not VTEC). Use the lambda overlay (THANX BRUCIE!!) to help clean up any large amounts of fuel that are present part throttle (anything over 6%). If i remember correctly there are some serious ignition advance spikes on the Hondata provided lo and hi octane KAL's (they actually look identical to each other in many areas).

I can check to see if i still have my KAL tuned for lo octane and boltons for my a3... but dont be afraid to try this at home. :mcool: