PDA

View Full Version : New SRS unit?!

428mustang
07-16-2008, 06:32 PM
So the SRS light has been on in my car for a while so I took her down to the Honda dealer (this is after I tried the self reset method that didn't work) and they said that I need a new SRS computer, which is going to be a sweet $575. Does any one know if I bought a computer off of a parts website and put that in if that would work? Thanks!

thisisagame24
07-16-2008, 08:26 PM
yea the first time i had to reset my SRS unit it didnt work untill my 6th try haha. some times you dont hit the right part some times

slo_k20
07-16-2008, 08:29 PM
yup it definitely takes some practice.

428mustang
07-16-2008, 09:12 PM
I tried for over a half of an hour trying to get the self reset to work, using two then three paper clips. When that didn't work I took it to the dealer and they couldn't reset it because they said it had a bad computer. What I was really hoping to do if its a bad computer is go to a parts warehouse site and order the computer and put it in myself, so I was just wondering if this would work?

Emerica459
07-17-2008, 04:27 AM
So how do you reset the srs light? Mine came on a few days ago, i am not worried about it but turning it off would be nice.

To the op, a friend of mine said a small piece of black tape fixes everything:mbiggrin: just kiddin

Oxygen
07-17-2008, 04:46 AM
You can replace the SRS computer yourself, no problem. There is a procedure outlined in the service manual, page 23-122. The only hiccup I can see is that part of that procedure is to initialize the OPDS unit. The OPDS unit is the Occupant Position Detection System unit (basically tells the car where people in the car are).

There is a procedure outlined for initializing this unit as well (page 23-27), but it seems that a specialized unit is required for the procedure, at least according to the manual. They say that you should ground the SCS line with the Honda PGM tester. I do not know how necessary that is.

But you will want to buy one of these: 07PAZ-0010100 - it is an SCS service connector. They are $3.34 at Majestic Honda, so it should not break the bank. You need it to initialize the OPDS unit. For a little over $3, I would not try to use a piece of wire to attempt to emulate what the part does.

If you have side airbags, the part number for the SRS unit is:
77960-S5T-A93.

If you do not have side airbags, the part number for the SRS unit is:
77960-S5T-A83.

Anyway, that should be it. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Oxygen
07-17-2008, 04:48 AM
So how do you reset the srs light? Mine came on a few days ago, i am not worried about it but turning it off would be nice.

To the op, a friend of mine said a small piece of black tape fixes everything:mbiggrin: just kiddin

There is a great write up here (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43930). It came up in a Search.

HondaFreak
07-17-2008, 06:59 AM
$298.97 at Majestic. Majestic Honda (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com)
EDIT: I thought ANYTHING that has to do with the safety systems were a lifetime warranty with Honda's? Maybe call and ask?
Christian

skoundrelusa
07-17-2008, 07:07 AM
You can replace the SRS computer yourself, no problem. There is a procedure outlined in the service manual, page 23-122. The only hiccup I can see is that part of that procedure is to initialize the OPDS unit. The OPDS unit is the Occupant Position Detection System unit (basically tells the car where people in the car are).

There is a procedure outlined for initializing this unit as well (page 23-27), but it seems that a specialized unit is required for the procedure, at least according to the manual. They say that you should ground the SCS line with the Honda PGM tester. I do not know how necessary that is.

But you will want to buy one of these: 07PAZ-0010100 - it is an SCS service connector. They are $3.34 at Majestic Honda, so it should not break the bank. You need it to initialize the OPDS unit. For a little over $3, I would not try to use a piece of wire to attempt to emulate what the part does.

If you have side airbags, the part number for the SRS unit is:
77960-S5T-A93.

If you do not have side airbags, the part number for the SRS unit is:
77960-S5T-A83.

Anyway, that should be it. If you have any more questions, just ask.

There is a great write up here (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43930). It came up in a Search.

Good info

56chevydan
07-17-2008, 12:09 PM
$298.97 at Majestic. Majestic Honda (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com)
EDIT: I thought ANYTHING that has to do with the safety systems were a lifetime warranty with Honda's? Maybe call and ask?
Christian

I believe hondafreak is right. I believe the SRS system components have a lifetime warranty. Check with your dealer or North American Honda for an answer. I had the SRS module that is located in the upper side of the passenger seat replaced for free by the local dealer after warranty had expired and they said they would cover it beause the SRS system had a lifetime warranty.

sk8civic03
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
I have stock seats and a stock steering wheel, got in my car and srs light was on. I did the diy light reset it worked until I pluged the yellow connector in and started the car. The srs light came back on. I went to the honda dealer here and they said the seat belt has sensor if it goes bad then it has a lifetime warranty, but nothing else. They told me they could check it but it would cost $88 I said no thanks

56chevydan
07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Before spending any money at all to fix the problem, contact North American Honda and find out from them if the systen is covered by a lifetime warranty.
I know for a fact that my SRS module was covered in my car under a lifetime warranty. Not all dealer service personnel know what they're talking about.

03civsi
07-18-2008, 08:29 AM
OPDS refers to the systems that have side airbags, it monitors where the person in the passenger seat is in relation to the seat so it won't inflate the bag if they're in a dangerous position. If you DON'T have side air bags don't sweat the initialization. There is an exttended warranty that covers the OPDS and related repairs. Also, the seat belts and I think the buckles, are lifetime warranty but that is where it stops. Keep in mind that while the light is on the air bags won't deploy.

Installing it yourself shouldn't be too tough. Some disassembly is required and a good set of torx sockets.

428mustang
07-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the help. I was looking at the service manual and it all looks like stuff that I can do. I do have side air bags, so it may be a little extra effort, but definitely not the hardest thing that I have done.