PDA

View Full Version : Tokico HP or D-Spec?

dogula
07-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Before everyone chimes in and says dspecs here is my situation. My EP will hit 100k this week on stock suspension. Needless to say its done! I am leaning towards getting either the dspec or hp kit since they come with the lowering springs. Hopefully going this route will take the guess work out of making sure my damper is heavy duty enough to handle a stiffer spring. So the question is.... what would you guys do for a daily driver? Also does anyone know the spring rates of the tokico springs that come with these? I am only looking for about an inch drop because I am in a band and haul alot of really heavy crap in my car for shows. I am basically looking for something slightly stiffer than stock. Nothing ridiculous.

BaLisTek
07-16-2008, 07:05 PM
i've heard that tockico hp is basically a stock replacement. If this is the case, lowering springs will still put a strain on these struts. However, a 1" drop isn't very significant. I say get the dspecs to give yourself some wiggle room in case in the future you want to take advantage of dampning adjustment. My .02

ep_hatcher_510
07-16-2008, 07:16 PM
d spec

shadowmd
07-16-2008, 07:34 PM
yea i was in the same situation u were in. i did some research and asked around here. people gave their opinions and ended up getting the d-specs and couldn't be happer. i am dropped on progress springs. with the d-specs u get adjustable dampening, its awesome lol. if u get the d-specs u won't regret it!

Drew1d
07-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Both are good, but they don't generally come with springs. (Can you post the link?) The D-Specs will be more money, so do you really need the adjustability?

Granted the D-Specs can be much stiffer, but if it's your DD, you may not want that.

NitroBoarder
07-16-2008, 08:55 PM
yea i was in the same situation u were in. i did some research and asked around here. people gave their opinions and ended up getting the d-specs and couldn't be happer. i am dropped on progress springs. with the d-specs u get adjustable dampening, its awesome lol. if u get the d-specs u won't regret it!

agreed.

I had tokico HPs on my previous Honda, and they were great for the subtle drop I had, but I ALWAYS (and I mean always) was thinking to myself "If I waited and found some Koni adjustable, I wouldv'e been 3x happier."

and the D-Specs aren't "stiffer" so to speak. you can make em as soft or as stiff as you want. so in theory, they are stiffer, but they don't have to be.

Ep3T0n3y
07-16-2008, 09:31 PM
yeah im in the same boat as you, mines just a DD but i assumed one day i might track it.

Never have. if i didnt get such a good deal on the dspecs i would have bought the HPs. btw ive seen eps with an inch and a half drop on stock dampers for over 80k miles. So it shouldnt be a problem.

civsirmt
07-17-2008, 04:07 AM
d-spec

i have hp's now and wish i had gotten d-specs from the beginning

dogula
07-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Both are good, but they don't generally come with springs. (Can you post the link?) The D-Specs will be more money, so do you really need the adjustability?

Granted the D-Specs can be much stiffer, but if it's your DD, you may not want that.

Here is the link. They have a d-spec kit and hp kit.
http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxshop/productsdisplay.php
If I go with just the dspecs I dont have to get the kit. I could get whatever springs I want since the dspecs are adjustable. I am mainly wondering if the springs that come with either of these kits are any good. Does anyone have any experience with them?

shadowmd
07-17-2008, 09:12 AM
those are pretty good prices! i paid $575shipped for just my d-specs! :mcry: they are selling them for $505 shipped

dogula
07-17-2008, 09:33 AM
those are pretty good prices! i paid $575shipped for just my d-specs! :mcry: they are selling them for $505 shipped

I know! I saw an old thread were somebody recommended them.

!@#$%
07-17-2008, 09:47 AM
If I go with just the dspecs I dont have to get the kit. I could get whatever springs I want since the dspecs are adjustable. I am mainly wondering if the springs that come with either of these kits are any good. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I have experience ordering something from shox, and it is NOT a good one.

I have no input for the tokico springs or whoever makes them. I've used progress springs on my dspecs for years now.

shadowmd
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
yea i too have the progress springs on my d-specs and love it.

dogula
07-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I have experience ordering something from shox, and it is NOT a good one.

I have no input for the tokico springs or whoever makes them. I've used progress springs on my dspecs for years now.

Care to elaborate on your experience? Since your local I would like to check your EP out. Maybe you can tell me whats wrong with mine!

!@#$%
07-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Care to elaborate on your experience? Since your local I would like to check your EP out. Maybe you can tell me whats wrong with mine!

Well, I ordered some K-mac adjustable camber/caster plates and the order went through with no flags. Shox never told me they didn't have them so I thought everything was ok. Turns out they are made to order in Australia, and it took me 3 months of arguing and the BBB to get my money back.

I really enjoy the dspecs. If you want to meet up sometime, just let me know when you're available.

NitroBoarder
07-17-2008, 08:36 PM

I would think the springs with the d-spec kit are the exact same ones in the HP kit, which are pretty good springs. think it is a 1" drop.

and you say stay away from shox? even though the prices are real good?