PDA

View Full Version : Questions on installing ES Bushing kit.

Drew1d
07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
So I'm doing a tune up on my car. I have 100k, It's a DD and some "off road" use. (My roads are really bad or dirt)

Part of the tune up will be doing my brakes, (replacing rotors) and I'm toying with the idea of replacing the control arm bushings as I go.

What would be the right tool (press) to use to get the bushings in and out. And when I say "right," I mean easiest.

Is it worth replacing the ball joints? I'm not certain how to check them.

mustclime
07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
I just used a drill to chew up the rubber in the bushings and then used a hack saw to cut out the sleves( just make to cuts)....a big vise is good for pressing in the front bushings, the rear just slip in.

NHBP ep3
07-18-2008, 12:57 AM
try not to go with es or any polyurethane bushing... replace your bushings with mugen or oem poly get deformed easily

heres my source
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25663&highlight=most+important+bu shings

Drew1d
07-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Hmmm, I already bought the ES Bushings before I read your post. I'm not as worried because this is a DD and not a track car. (Which the people posting claim to have.) Hopefully it will tighten up the steering without deforming too quickly...

Thank you both for your input.

Heitzke
07-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Wish I could help more, but my bushing kit is still sitting in my room. As far as my bushings wearing out... no big deal, I can't see the car handling much worse than it does now and I got my bushings new on eBay for $60.

mustclime
07-18-2008, 05:21 PM
try not to go with es or any polyurethane bushing... replace your bushings with mugen or oem poly get deformed easily

heres my source
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25663&highlight=most+important+bu shings

Sorry...crap info...the trick is you need to lube the bushings about every10,000....once they get dry, the wear like eracers....I have had mine 30,000 miles at 2 years. :mangel:

Heitzke
07-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Sorry...crap info...the trick is you need to lube the bushings about every10,000....once they get dry, the wear like eracers....I have had mine 30,000 miles at 2 years. :mangel:

What do you use to lube them? I also hear they squeak a lot, any truth to this? Doesn't really bother me because of all the many other noises my cars makes, but that's besides the point, lol.

Drew1d
07-22-2008, 05:01 AM
I used white lithium grease (came in a tin) when I installed my rear sway bushings. (Rubber bushings that came with the ITR sway.) It lasted a while, but when it started to squeek, I sprayed with lithium grease.(came in a can) It didn't last that long, maybe a month before it was sqeeking again.

I now use silicone spray lubricant. I haven't used it long enough to see if it's better.

mustclime
07-22-2008, 08:35 AM
What do you use to lube them? I also hear they squeak a lot, any truth to this? Doesn't really bother me because of all the many other noises my cars makes, but that's besides the point, lol.

I like the spray on white lithem, with the straw you can get the grease into everything, when they start to squeek, its time to lube them again....the times between lubings it tied to your weather,milage,temps.:mangel:

Heitzke
07-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Ok random, probably dumb, question about installing the bushings. I'm right in the middle of it and want to make sure that the metal collar that goes around the outside of the bushing is in fact part of the bushing and needs to be removed. Just to further specify, it's the part that is right along the inside of the hole in the LCA where the bushing is.