PDA

View Full Version : Crunch.. my baby

socalsx
07-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Got rear ended today :mcry:
Should I go through Honda or a body shop? Bit unsure what to do here. Should I have them look for damage to the rear end, axles, exhaust?

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3827/dsc01329wb9.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5120/dsc01330gq8.jpg

EggShellSi
07-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Damn that sucks, isn't this the second Ep to get rear ended this week???
How did this happen??

RJEP
07-17-2008, 03:34 PM
looks like it hit right above the re-bar...

doesn't look like there should be any major damage under, but you may want to take the bumper off and check it out. looks like it dented your hatch as well. at least the tail lights are ok. hope you have full coverage, jdm bumpers, cf hatch and paint job sounds good right about now......

socalsx
07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
light turned yellow, had to stop a little abruptly not bad though, heard the screech and bam.. Yes i do have full coverage thankfully

EggShellSi
07-17-2008, 03:45 PM
light turned yellow, had to stop a little abruptly not bad though, heard the screech and bam.. Yes i do have full coverage thankfully

Many accidents happen this way. People assume that you'll take the light and then "BAM".:mfrown: The dealer would probably give you a nice inflated estimate. Enough to get JDM bumpers maybe...:mwink:

TheCor
07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm an insurance adjuster and the other person is almost definitly at fault for that accident whether you stopped short or not. Their insurance would come out and do an estimate, take it to whatever shop you want, and if they find more damage that the insurance company didn't write for on the estimate, the shop will call them back out to write a supplement. I wouldn't pay a dime out of your own pocket for that, not if you were rear-ended.

dj addicted
07-17-2008, 04:05 PM
most likely you will have to go to a body shop. I dont know of any honda dealerships that do collision repair. Make sure the body shop uses Honda OEM parts too. Also, your insurance shouldn't hav anything to do with this. This is all on their insurance. Did you get the police out there?

crhatch02
07-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I dont know of any honda dealerships that do collision repair.

what????

Passenger
07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
what????

:mrolleyes:

56chevydan
07-17-2008, 05:30 PM
A lot of the dealerships out in my area are totally getting out of the collision repair business.
Take your car to a reputable shop in your area and demand that they use Honda manufactured parts only- not any of that aftermarket junk!

Psykoasn
07-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Unless you already know a shop where you know you can trust the mechanics I would take it to the dealer

civicsipower03
07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Go to what you think is the beast body shop around your area and let them tell you what you should do. And also if you got hit you might want to sue the person that hit you get some money off of the insurance companies easy way to get a lot of free money $$$$$$ :mangel:

socalsx
07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes my local dealer does do body work. But I heard that JDM bumper is similar priced as USDM bumper. is this true? Same goes for a CF hatch? could I just order these parts myself (meets the price of adjuster) and have it installed?

slo_k20
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes my local dealer does do body work. But I heard that JDM bumper is similar priced as USDM bumper. is this true? Same goes for a CF hatch? could I just order these parts myself (meets the price of adjuster) and have it installed?

well, i got in an accident and needed both bumpers to be replaced. I planned on buying JDM front and rear, then when i got the estimate of repairs, the bumper cost was like $178 or something for the front, i was like what?? the guy said a company called keystone takes the bumpers melts it down and makes a new one. if i had known better i would have gone to somewhere that used OEM parts.

dj addicted
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
what????

its true... call around to your actual car dealerships and most of them will not do collision repair. They will do warranty work and minor repairs, but not body work.

dj addicted
07-17-2008, 06:04 PM

to answer this yes you can. Technically what will happen is the adjuster will look at the car and estimate the damages (he or she will ALWAYS go really low) and then their insurance company will write you a check. It is up to you what you do with the money.

proudtobeawesom
07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
its true... call around to your actual car dealerships and most of them will not do collision repair. They will do warranty work and minor repairs, but not body work.

i like your avatar

i had one of my girlfriend in almost the same pose lol

~kevin

crhatch02
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM

hmm..well the dealship fixed my demolished car when I got in my wreck...maybe its a location thing..I dunno

shelbz
07-17-2008, 09:17 PM
wow man.. that sucks. the pics are sad! :mcry:
good luck getting her fixed up. atleast you weren't hurt!

66elwood99
07-17-2008, 09:32 PM
hmm..well the dealship fixed my demolished car when I got in my wreck...maybe its a location thing..I dunno

Did they do the work or sub it out? I know that the dealers in my area (Western Penna) have local body shops that do all their body work and painting.
If there is a lien (loan) it is not up to you what you do with the money. The institution that had issued the loan wants a vehicle that they can sell if you default on the loan. Most insurance companys will make the check out in your name and the shops. You can deal with the shop then to buy which parts you want them to install.

dj addicted
07-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Did they do the work or sub it out? I know that the dealers in my area (Western Penna) have local body shops that do all their body work and painting.
If there is a lien (loan) it is not up to you what you do with the money. The institution that had issued the loan wants a vehicle that they can sell if you default on the loan. Most insurance companys will make the check out in your name and the shops. You can deal with the shop then to buy which parts you want them to install.

very good point... my car was paid off when I got rearended so I didn't think about it. If the car is financed, the bank still has money tied up in the vehicle and they will want you to repair it in case they have to reposess the vehicle and resell it.

ShadySi
07-18-2008, 07:46 AM
I got work done at a honda dealer ship with a body shop type deal.. 6 months later the paint started orange peeling... definitely go to a real bodyshop over a honda dealiership

epshtielsl
07-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Get it checked out by a reputable body shop. If there is no major frame/suspension damage you can probably do the repairs yourself. If you want the insurance to write you a check, you'll have to go to one of their adjusters. Take the body shop estimate with you when you go to make sure they don't bull shit you. Don't take refurbished parts either. You deserve to get brand new OEM replacements. Once you get the check straightened out, order a JDM bumper w/ lip, and a CF hatch and have the shop install/repair everything. The hatch won't need paint so that will save you some money. Have the shop apply a clear coat to the CF though.

socalsx
07-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Well guys, it turns out I didn't have a rear rebar. I kind of had a hunch when I saw how deep the bumper went in. The adjuster has to tell the insurance company about it now so Im not sure what they won't cover now..:mmad:

03silverEP
07-18-2008, 02:54 PM
go to CertiFit once you get a check, and buy a rear bumper and rebar, under $250ish, then have painted, you'll make $$ to buy tires or something, as long as your deductable in not too high

dj addicted
07-18-2008, 05:09 PM
go to CertiFit once you get a check, and buy a rear bumper and rebar, under $250ish, then have painted, you'll make $$ to buy tires or something, as long as your deductable in not too high

he shouldnt be paying any deductible at all. The entire claim should be on the other guys insurance.

No offense, but its amazing how many people don't know about the insurance they are required to carry by law. Learn about your policies because the insiurance company will be the first company to try and run you through the ringer.

dj addicted
07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Well guys, it turns out I didn't have a rear rebar. I kind of had a hunch when I saw how deep the bumper went in. The adjuster has to tell the insurance company about it now so Im not sure what they won't cover now..:mmad:

if you dont have a rebar, you had better get a lawyer and get after the dealership that sold you the car. MAJOR lawsuit!!!!!!!!!

socalsx
07-18-2008, 05:58 PM
if you dont have a rebar, you had better get a lawyer and get after the dealership that sold you the car. MAJOR lawsuit!!!!!!!!!

I bought the car private party. They sent me the invoice though:
-$560 for hatch
-$250 for bumper
-$538 for labor

His insurance company can either pay them or send me a check and I can go elsewhere

dj addicted
07-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I bought the car private party. They sent me the invoice though:
-$560 for hatch
-$250 for bumper
-$538 for labor

His insurance company can either pay them or send me a check and I can go elsewhere

but I would get a hold of a rebar for them to put in. Because legally the shop cannot and probably will not do the repair work without the rebar.

QDRHRSE
07-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Sorry about your car. At least you're not hurt. I haven't been in a big wreck in a while but usually the other insurance company will let you get 3 estimates and will pay you the middle one. They always try to steer you to one of their "preferred" repair facilities but since the accident is their insured's fault they can suck eggs and you can have any shop fix it as long as the cost is within a reasonable range (and their estimate). Be really carefull as their adjuster may try to price generic non oem replacement parts into the estimate. Be very upfront and tell them that they need to give you an estimate based on new OEM Honda parts. If they give you one hint of trouble all you need to do is ask if they would rather talk to your lawyer as your neck really hurts due to the fact that their insured rear-ended you. As long as your not overly greedy you should make out with enough money to do more than fix your car. Shops have 2 sets of prices- insurance and cash. Cash prices are always better. Make sure to get a rental on them too.

illusionsoflife
07-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm an insurance adjuster and the other person is almost definitly at fault for that accident whether you stopped short or not. Their insurance would come out and do an estimate, take it to whatever shop you want, and if they find more damage that the insurance company didn't write for on the estimate, the shop will call them back out to write a supplement. I wouldn't pay a dime out of your own pocket for that, not if you were rear-ended.

yeah, why are you paying? or are you....you shouldnt spend a dime

socalsx
07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Sorry about your car. At least you're not hurt. I haven't been in a big wreck in a while but usually the other insurance company will let you get 3 estimates and will pay you the middle one. They always try to steer you to one of their "preferred" repair facilities but since the accident is their insured's fault they can suck eggs and you can have any shop fix it as long as the cost is within a reasonable range (and their estimate). Be really carefull as their adjuster may try to price generic non oem replacement parts into the estimate. Be very upfront and tell them that they need to give you an estimate based on new OEM Honda parts. If they give you one hint of trouble all you need to do is ask if they would rather talk to your lawyer as your neck really hurts due to the fact that their insured rear-ended you. As long as your not overly greedy you should make out with enough money to do more than fix your car. Shops have 2 sets of prices- insurance and cash. Cash prices are always better. Make sure to get a rental on them too.

Thanks for the advice. The place they sent me to was only to estimate prices for the other parties insurance. I did mention that I wanted new OEM replacements but they tried to beat around the bush and explain that they might be used. But $560 for a hatch sounds brand new to me. I already have a rental on standby already paid by them as well.

yeah, why are you paying? or are you....you shouldnt spend a dime

No, I'm not paying for anything except for most likely, the Rebar. Which unfortunately was not told to me by the person I bought the car from. I'm sure I'm missing the front as well since the bumper was obviously repainted.

v1c10us
07-18-2008, 09:49 PM
dont let them beat around the bush, tell them you'll be taking it to a shop that only uses new OEM replacements so the estimate needs to take that into account.
you cant let people give you the run around on your car when its not your fault.

Krispy187
07-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Oh shit that is my biggest nitmare. I hope this does not happen to me at all, but its hard hee cali to be careful.

56chevydan
07-22-2008, 10:32 PM
You do not have to get multiple estimates for them at all! All you need is one estimate from any shop you decide to get an estimate from. Tell that repair place you want the estimate including only Honda factory parts. You're not bound to accept used or aftermarket parts at all. Have your body shop do a thorough job listing all damage for their estimate.
The other party's insurance company has the right to inspect your car for damage, but you're not bound by their estimate dollar amount. When the estimating is complete, the insurance company should issue you a check for the amount of YOUR estimate plus incidentals like rental car unless they handled payment for that directly.
When you contact the body shop when you take it in, explain that you will provide the bumper (JDM) and you want them to do all the rest of the repair- if that's what you decide to do.
If you have any problems with the other insurance company over the repair estimate, or anything else, file a small claims against their insured. It's amazing how fast it'll get settled after the insured calls their insurance company to find out why they're being sued over an insured accident!! It worked for my son and I on his car!!

2005rollingegg
07-25-2008, 12:52 AM

Hope your doing ok, rear ended without a rebar is insane. I hope everything works out for you. That private seller should of told that the rebar was taken off.

civictype_r04
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
That sucks man hope it gets fixed.

shusi
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
sucks to hear about the ep. hope everybody is ok

socalsx
07-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys, its in the shop now. Mercury would only send a check to the shop I chose, so I didn't have time to try and get a jdm bumper :( .. They're also not paying for the rebar and some other missing part. They will do it for $180 or not put one if i choose so. Will have it end of next week.