PDA

View Full Version : Shift Knob

043door
07-17-2008, 11:09 PM
installed a skunk 2 shift knob. is there something that i can do to connect the shift boot so it doesnt just hang?

you could buy the jdm shift boot.

or you can try to make an adapter with hose washers stuffed in the stock chrome collar to help hold up the boot.

BlackEP9
07-18-2008, 01:43 AM
Just buy the JDM or JDM replica shift boot. There is a DIY for it on this site too.

T_Virus
07-18-2008, 07:10 AM
are you on the stock shift boot? definitely get the jdm shiftboot or the adapter from the Acura dealer...

Kodeen
07-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Wrap the shift lever with tape (up to a 1cm radius), then put the shift boot on.

BlownSi05
07-18-2008, 09:32 AM
could get the buddy club short shifter which has a lock to keep the boot in place:mbiggrin:

classiccelica
07-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Ok I solved this problem for a buddy of mine and it works marvelously. Go to your local hardware store or lowes if you have one. Go to the bathroom sink shower repair area, look for these little rubber washers they are about 1/8- 1/4 inch thick, get one or the pack as they come over here that the inside diamter hole is a little smaller than the shift lever itself. Get that pack or single rubber washer, take off your shift knob, and take off that shifter boot plastic trim (with the emergency flasher button), push the rubber washer on the shift lever, (far enough down to pull the boot back enough to install the knob), now put the plastic trim with boot back on, pull the shifter boot back, install the nut and knob, feel through the boot for that rubber washer, this means pressing on the rubber ribbed portion of the boot to feel the shifter lever, while pressing on the boot feel for the washer and pull it up till the top chrome plastic part of the boot sets firmly against the base of the knob. Now it should look pretty nice and work great.

shadowmd
07-18-2008, 12:25 PM
if u get the aluminum shifter bushings, just take a stock rubber one and place it on the shifter between the shiftknob and the shift boot. trust me it works :mcool:

T_Virus
07-18-2008, 02:44 PM
if u get the aluminum shifter bushings, just take a stock rubber one and place it on the shifter between the shiftknob and the shift boot. trust me it works :mcool:

Whoa, didn't saw this mod coming...interesting..:mwink:

skoo74
07-18-2008, 03:13 PM
turn the stock rubber bushing upside down and ziptie it from the inside? saw this somewhere on the forum and it worked for me..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/jerryep3/Si/VooDooKnob.jpg

proudtobeawesom
07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
i hate having that gap between the boot and the knob im just to lazy to change it lol

how hard is it to take the boot off???

~kevin

v1c10us
07-20-2008, 11:56 PM
lol, just use a fuckin rubberband

AliG-EP3
07-22-2008, 06:48 PM
It's extremely easy to do, there used to be a DIY, but you just put two of your fingers (index and middle) together and at the 12 o'clock at the top of your stock boot, push those fingers in and then do the "come here" motion, using the tips of your fingers to grab onto the top of the boot from the inside. Pull outward with enough force to unclick the clips that hold the boot in, and do it all the way around the boot to pull it out of all of the clips around the entire boot. It takes like 40 seconds. I wish I had pictures ahah it would make explaining much easier

jalep3
07-22-2008, 08:56 PM
lol, just use a fuckin rubberband

Haha or duck tape!! lol

monthtrial
08-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Anyone have a stock shift knob they're willing to part from?