PDA

View Full Version : full type R kit questions

lbk02si
07-18-2008, 07:34 AM
so i think i'm wanting to go with the full type r kit since my car got hit. i have heard that i'll need to get new fenders too?? if so why? i was also wondering if there was a way i could get one thats already painted tafetta white, even though i know the white for the ctr is championship white. so what else am i going to need to get to do the jdm conversion, kit, rebar??

BaLisTek
07-18-2008, 08:27 AM
you dont need new fenders. For taffy white you either have to paint them yourself or... get real lucky and find someone selling parts already white. It took me like 2yrs to find all the pieces of my kit used already painted white to give you an idea.
There is a difference between JDM and USDM fenders, maybe thats what that person was trying to say.? You don't need rebars, but they are a great idea. Front rebar is like 150shipped. The jdm rear rebar doesn't work for shit. Your best bet is to get a piece of 2x4 steel tubing with a 60 degree cut on each side and bolt that to ur car. If i remember correctly, the tubing is 43" long. There is also a certain thickness of tubing, but i forgot. I personally have been riding with no rear rebar since october 07.

Soprano21
07-18-2008, 10:24 AM
the only reason you would go with new fenders is to cancel out the side markers and thats it but there going to be extremly hard to find....your best bet is to do as balitek said.....although i think you can get the full kit from showstoppers for like $2200 and that includes bothe front & rear bumpers and lips with the sides, but again it will all have to be painted

minivan_assassin
07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Never heard the fender thing before. Your fenders will work. But yeah, the pieces will have to be repainted and you'll have to use sticky clips for the sideskirts since you drive an 02. Aside from that it's bolt up and enjoy.

lbk02si
07-19-2008, 11:58 AM
you dont need new fenders. For taffy white you either have to paint them yourself or... get real lucky and find someone selling parts already white. It took me like 2yrs to find all the pieces of my kit used already painted white to give you an idea.
There is a difference between JDM and USDM fenders, maybe thats what that person was trying to say.? You don't need rebars, but they are a great idea. Front rebar is like 150shipped. The jdm rear rebar doesn't work for shit. Your best bet is to get a piece of 2x4 steel tubing with a 60 degree cut on each side and bolt that to ur car. If i remember correctly, the tubing is 43" long. There is also a certain thickness of tubing, but i forgot. I personally have been riding with no rear rebar since october 07.

cool, thanks for the info! btw i really freakin want the front bumper you have!!! how can i get one??? so why doesn't the jdm rebar work for shit??

lbk02si
07-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Never heard the fender thing before. Your fenders will work. But yeah, the pieces will have to be repainted and you'll have to use sticky clips for the sideskirts since you drive an 02. Aside from that it's bolt up and enjoy.

sorry i dont' know too much about body stuff, why do you have to use the sticky clips for the sideskirts on an 02? what do you use on later gens of the ep?

lbk02si
07-19-2008, 12:00 PM
the only reason you would go with new fenders is to cancel out the side markers and thats it but there going to be extremly hard to find....your best bet is to do as balitek said.....although i think you can get the full kit from showstoppers for like $2200 and that includes bothe front & rear bumpers and lips with the sides, but again it will all have to be painted

do you know if the full kit includes the rebar? and btw whats the purpose of the rebar? just crash protection??

Blue03Si
07-28-2008, 01:48 PM
do you know if the full kit includes the rebar? and btw whats the purpose of the rebar? just crash protection??

Yup, crash protection. And if you get in an accident and your insurance finds out you don't have rebar most likely they won't cover you. The front JDM rebar fits just fine. For the rear you can either make your own or contact Speed Star Racing to get your USDM rebar modified to fit.

BaLisTek
07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
cool, thanks for the info! btw i really freakin want the front bumper you have!!! how can i get one??? so why doesn't the jdm rebar work for shit??

its 04-05 front bumper. SSUSA sells them

minivan_assassin
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
You need the sticky clips to hold the sideskirt to the side of the car. Your car doesn't have stock sideskirts so there are no holes drilled into the side.

Your options are to take it to a body shop and have them drill :mcry:

Or you can buy the sticky clips :msmile:

xjuxtapozx
07-28-2008, 04:10 PM
go for the showstoppers deal
its great i wanted to do that
but like people said if its JDM body youre gonna have to modify the rear bar if you search there are some people on here that will do it for you

do it though
the body is sexyyyy:mtongue:

Blue03Si
07-28-2008, 04:11 PM
I think i spent over a hundred bucks on sticky clips when I installed my side skirts. But they are well worth it, they have been on for over a year and it still feels rock solid.

lbk02si
07-28-2008, 04:29 PM
its 04-05 front bumper. SSUSA sells them

do they not make one for my 02??

lbk02si
07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
well i meant the one with the radiator duct

jdmep3_23
08-07-2008, 11:32 PM
hey i have the whole jdm type r kit it comes with the front bumper and lip rear bumper and lip and side skirts and in type r white if u still wanna buy

ep-unit
08-08-2008, 12:12 AM
You don't need rebars, but they are a great idea. Front rebar is like 150shipped. The jdm rear rebar doesn't work for shit. Your best bet is to get a piece of 2x4 steel tubing with a 60 degree cut on each side and bolt that to ur car. If i remember correctly, the tubing is 43" long. There is also a certain thickness of tubing, but i forgot. I personally have been riding with no rear rebar since october 07.

why is that? wont it just bolt on and still work, dont you need it for the jdm rear bumper (safety wise).

Blue03Si
08-08-2008, 08:16 AM
why is that? wont it just bolt on and still work, dont you need it for the jdm rear bumper (safety wise).

The JDM rear rebar doesnt fit the USDM car. You either need to get your USDM rebar modified or make a customer one. (safety wise) It isn't good to drive around with out one.

ep3sioftx
08-09-2008, 10:53 AM
were can i get my hands on a full type r body kit?

jjermzz
08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
someone on ebay is selling a full kit for 1100 its CW. look it up.

lbk02si
08-30-2008, 03:53 PM

why can't i use the Honda 3m tape thats comes with the kit???

Blue03Si
08-30-2008, 06:48 PM

Are you talking about the HFP kit.... because the type-r sides are held on by clips in the body... no tape.

minivan_assassin
08-30-2008, 07:07 PM

What tape. The only tape that comes on the sideskirts is at the very front. The rest of the sideskirt has to either be held on by sticky clips or the original clips (which came with my kit), but like I said if you have an 02 you'll have to drill holes if you don't use sticky clips, which isn't worth it. It's also advisable to get the underbody brackets. There's a post on it here about where to get them.

I have my sideskirts off fixing some shit. If you want pics of how it attaches to the body let me know.

EPSU3
08-30-2008, 10:23 PM
What tape. The only tape that comes on the sideskirts is at the very front. The rest of the sideskirt has to either be held on by sticky clips or the original clips (which came with my kit), but like I said if you have an 02 you'll have to drill holes if you don't use sticky clips, which isn't worth it. It's also advisable to get the underbody brackets. There's a post on it here about where to get them.

I have my sideskirts off fixing some shit. If you want pics of how it attaches to the body let me know.

hmmm, i have hfp sides on my 03 and I don't see why I would have to drill holes. Mine mount on with 2 screws in the wheel well, brackets under the car, and lots of doublesided tape mounting points. Not sure what I would drill into....? I could be wrong though

minivan_assassin
08-30-2008, 11:13 PM
hmmm, i have hfp sides on my 03 and I don't see why I would have to drill holes. Mine mount on with 2 screws in the wheel well, brackets under the car, and lots of doublesided tape mounting points. Not sure what I would drill into....? I could be wrong though

:mcry: You don't HAVE to drill holes. On the years that came with factory sideskirts the clips used to secure the sideskirt snap into the body of the car. Since you do not have these holes you have two choices: drill the holes so that you can use the normal clips or purchase sticky clips from honda.

You probably have doublesided tape stuck onto the points where the clips slide in. I'd personally still use the sticky clips.

MR.Pizza
08-30-2008, 11:47 PM
3m double sided tape for body shops works well, make sure to get some adhesion promoter and it will last forever. The JDM kits fit very well so with the two bottom brackets and fender screws in it's really just to keep the kit tight to the body so as not to rub. Good luck

JDMtunerEP3
08-31-2008, 07:53 AM
3m double sided tape for body shops works well, make sure to get some adhesion promoter and it will last forever. The JDM kits fit very well so with the two bottom brackets and fender screws in it's really just to keep the kit tight to the body so as not to rub. Good luck

3m is the best product out there for what you want to do!

I use it at work for every molding that we do and knock on wood but i've never had to redo a single thing i've used it on!!!

lbk02si
08-31-2008, 09:09 AM
so where do i get these brackets from then?? and i'm still needing to know about the front rebar, can i get one made like i did for the rear and if so does anyone know the dimensions??

Kumar
08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
A custom front rebar would probably be stronger than the OEM one. The CTR front one is thin as hell but fits perfect. Honestly if you spend the money to have the CTR front-end you run the risk. I can't recall anybody making a custom front one but if you can more power to you.

It's going to be a lot less headache buying the CTR OEM front rebar.

As far the underbody clips the site is japanparts.com.

Blue03Si
09-01-2008, 12:42 AM

We arn't talking HFP kit for this thread. We are talking JDM type R kit. I think people are getting confused. The HFP kit uses lots of tape. The type R kit does not. The type R was designed with lots of clip holes in the body to hold it in place. The reason the HFP kit has to use tape is the USDM cars are missing most of these holes.

MR.Pizza
09-01-2008, 02:34 AM
No were talking about the JDM body, nobody wants to drill holes in their car just to put a sideskirt on.

lbk02si
09-01-2008, 10:12 AM
i guess i'm a little confused then, bc when i ordered my kit from showstoppers they said that the type r kit sideskirts come with the tape and don't need the clips, that they've installed them with the tape and it holds very well.

minivan_assassin
09-01-2008, 07:08 PM
My type-r kit came from SS and it didn't come with any tape. Maybe they're supplying a roll of 3m tape with it now, which should work I guess, but I still like the idea of the sticky clips more. The only way I could see you putting it on with plain 3m double-sided tape is if you stick it on the mounting points where the clips slide into, which are kind of small. The sticky clips actually slide securely into these points and have 3m tape on the other side.

Like I said, if you want pictures of the backside of the sideskirts they're sitting in my livingroom.

Blue03Si
09-01-2008, 07:18 PM
i guess i'm a little confused then, bc when i ordered my kit from showstoppers they said that the type r kit sideskirts come with the tape and don't need the clips, that they've installed them with the tape and it holds very well.

Ok, you're talking about the replica kit. Not the OEM kit. That's the one I'm talking about. i have the OEM parts on my car, so i can't really comment on how the replica kits fit on.

02nhbpep3
09-07-2008, 02:37 PM
minivan_assassin would you mind posting up those pics for your sideskirts. Im ordering the rest of my kit in a month or so and I'm curious also.