PDA

View Full Version : crunchy 1st and 2nd?

m0ns00n
07-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Greetz,

Sometimes shifting into 1st or 2nd it feels a little... "crunchy". Sometimes its smooth as butter (as with all the other gears) and sometimes theres just a touch of a scrapey feeling when going into 1st/2nd gear.

Any other 2k2si owners have the same thing? Anything to worry about ?

punkdork
07-12-2002, 07:51 PM
We had another thread mentioning this.. though I think it started out talking about racing or something. I've seen the same behavior you're talking about. I'm not sure what it is but my guess was either 1: synchros not being able to do their job 2: just a noisy tranny and lack of sound deadening.

Who knows what it is or if its a problem.

m0ns00n
07-12-2002, 09:13 PM
thanks!, I found the thread you mentioned on like the 7th or 8th page of this forum.

2k2civicSi
07-12-2002, 09:16 PM
It was me it grinds from first to secng like a little crunch not a bad grind it almost feels like the syncros have to catch up to my shifting

its been to the dealer 2 time and they said noting was wrong with it but there is

Mechanic
07-13-2002, 02:46 AM
Believe it or not, the reason that the first to second shift is more notchy than the others -- and I know exactly what you are describing -- both test cars I drove two weeks apart had precisely that feel during the demos; also my new Si (245 miles) has a touch of it when first "waking up" -- all stems from the fact that the synchomesh on the first two gears is stronger, three cones instead of the usual two on the other three gears. I experienced the same thing with an Acura GS-R I owned. Just drive it normally. As the miles build up (3k-5k-ish), you'll have made hundreds of 1st-to-2nd shifts, the synchos will be nicely polished (so to speak), and it will feel like a million bucks. In the meantime, try to ignore it (I know it's driving you nuts), and shift normally. As long as the gears aren't clashing -- which, as you know, sounds a lot different -- this is not a problem.

m0ns00n
07-13-2002, 03:05 AM
Thank you so much! I was hoping one of the wizards would drop us a pearl of wisdom :)

Pradamuimui
07-13-2002, 08:05 AM
I have noticed the same thing, this issue seems to be one of those universal things that happen. Oh well at least its nothing really serious....I HOPE????

SilverArrow
07-13-2002, 11:04 AM
I have also been expericing the same problems and I appericate all the feedback. Thanks guys!

Az02Si
07-13-2002, 01:11 PM
Mine did it a lot,but now at 4500 it really dosent do it as often.But sometimes it sounds like somethings about to break.....

BlazeX12
07-13-2002, 11:11 PM
i'm at 6500, im mine still does it, but only sometimes. This is my first stick shift, and i always wondered if it was supposed to be like that, hopefully it will go away completly after a while.

2k2civicSi
07-14-2002, 10:38 AM
im at 6k also and it still does it not alot but it scares me because i cant take it to the track in fear of it doing it.is there any way to fix it

dannysi
07-14-2002, 12:58 PM
I'm at 5500 miles and mine does do it any more. I used to feel it alot at the beginning, but haven't felt it in a long time. I guess you just need to find a rythm with your car. :)