PDA

View Full Version : 4th gear gone?

EP3Casas
07-20-2008, 10:03 AM
i was coming back home last night from a 30 min freeway drive. i take my exit and begin to floor it to have some fun on the 1 mile long off ramp i come up to the lights i begin to brake and down shift and my car would not go into 4th

i kinda freaked and thought maybe the trans was running too hot so i began to just drive around regularly and it did loosen up but i pretty much had to slam it into 4th gear and hit it out of gear.

should i be worried?

should i change my trans fluid?

could it b something more than just it being too hot?

-mike

Tnhatch03
07-20-2008, 10:08 AM
where you trying to shift extremely too fast that it did not have time to engage in the gears? did you try to baby it into gear with success?

you may need to be a little worried, is it only 4th gear where you have this issue?

how many miles on your motor? it may be time to change tranny fluid.

it could be syncros, but i believe it would be an additional gear that would be giving you issues too.

EP3Casas
07-20-2008, 10:25 AM
where you trying to shift extremely too fast that it did not have time to engage in the gears? did you try to baby it into gear with success?

you may need to be a little worried, is it only 4th gear where you have this issue?

how many miles on your motor? it may be time to change tranny fluid.

it could be syncros, but i believe it would be an additional gear that would be giving you issues too.

no it was a pretty slow shift, and right after i did try to baby it in and rev match but it couldnt get it to go in until about 5 minutes later..

it is only 4th

and i have 57 k on the motor

Tnhatch03
07-20-2008, 10:30 AM
is it doing it today? i would suggest changing the tranny fluid and see what that does. worse case scenario is that your 4th gear syncro is bad. it is hard to tell what kind of spirited driving you do and whether or not this is the first time you had any issues.

i hope the fluid does the trick man.

EP3Casas
07-20-2008, 10:33 AM
i usually baby the car and only really beat it on it when im on the freeway..

but i will change my trans fluid within the next week now..

honda MTF?

Tnhatch03
07-20-2008, 10:50 AM
^correct.

EP3Casas
07-20-2008, 10:55 AM
how many quarts should i need??

EP3Casas
07-20-2008, 11:37 AM
just drove the car and everything seems ok except but u do have to put a little force shifting into 4th..

T_Virus
07-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I had that problem with my 4th gear not too long ago...it happen like 3 times but after that it just stop happening...I had my tranny fluid changed about 20k miles ago...and I'm planing to have it changed in the next 3K miles...

but just the other day while on the highway in 5th gear going about 65mph, i was tired so I leaned a little bit over to rest my plam on my shiftknob and somehow it just poped out of gear and went into neutral with out me stepping on the clutch...I got scared and quickly took my foot off the gas pedal and my other foot step on the clutch and I shifted back from neutral to 5th gear... I'm thinking it could be my synchros I guess...

EP3Casas
07-21-2008, 10:18 AM
^^ yeah its probably the syncros..god! i hate our transmissions!

jalep3
07-22-2008, 08:47 PM
how many quarts should i need??

Buy 2 qts, but it only takes 1.4, i think. And don't overfill!