PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get an alarm system

underOATH
07-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm looking for a good alarm system for around 150. I just need something simple, but reliable and one that will give me more peace of mind.

Does anyone have a certian kit that they reccomend? Also, what is installation like for alarm systems? I've wired subs and decks, but have never tackled an alarm system. I'm pretty naive about alarm systems, but just want to get one strapped in my ep3 before school starts back up...

Ep3some
07-20-2008, 05:34 PM
I had clifford in my old 96' hatch and it was great. Viper is excellent also. As far as install, I had the shop do mine. With a little time and willingness to read instructions you can probably do it yourself. I am thinking of giving it a shot when I get my new system.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Dont try to install it yourself. Alarms are much harder to install then an amp or a sub. Have it done at a good audio shop and talk to the installer who is gonna do it even give him a little extra cash to do a clean job. The alarm is only as good as the installation.

jtyler05si
07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Dont try to install it yourself. Alarms are much harder to install then an amp or a sub. Have it done at a good audio shop and talk to the installer who is gonna do it even give him a little extra cash to do a clean job. The alarm is only as good as the installation.

very true!!!

I installed a Viper system about a year or so ago on mine. I have done my share of head units, speakers,subs, and amp installations.

this takes the cake.

you can do it, but be very patient and take your time. i would highly suggest saldering, rather than those crimps. you will want a meter to.

i was quoted $50 for the installation, so i did it myself.

Viper had some pretty good instructions.

clutch797
07-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Sorry but $150.00 is not going to give you anything that you want. Go two-way or go home. You want a back up batt., glass break, prox. sensor, ect. spend the money and do it right.

underOATH
07-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Sorry but $150.00 is not going to give you anything that you want. Go two-way or go home. You want a back up batt., glass break, prox. sensor, ect. spend the money and do it right.

how much do you think a good alarm system would run? I dont need something with 20 different button presets or 15 different horn noises. I just want something that will give me greater peace of mind.

Im going to visit a few car audio/security shops in the area this week, but I need to know some numbers going in so i dont get screwed over... After reading about some people installing it themselves and hearing from you guys, I think paying for the labor and knowledge would be a better idea than me going in on my own...

and Im in AZ, so doing an install with 115 degree weather isnt much fun either :/

VegaS10
07-22-2008, 05:27 AM
A basic viper alarm with keyless entry should run about $200 installed.

jtyler05si
07-22-2008, 05:40 AM
A basic viper alarm with keyless entry should run about $200 installed.

this guy knows just about everything about alarm systems...
he is the one to ask.

VegaS10
07-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I would'nt say all that now...lol.

But seriously, get a Viper/Python/Clifford professionaly installed and you get a lifetime warranty on the alarm.

If you get it done at a Circuit City or Best Buy you get a lifetime warranty on the install as well.

The best thing to do is talk to the installer who'll be doing the work. We are the ones who put them in, so we tend to know more about the product and what you need.

If after talking to the installers and you don't feel comfortable with them, go somewhere else. Don't let anyone pressure you into something you don't feel comfortable with.

Check this out:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/showthread.php?t=52452

Thats some of the work and car's I've done. I think my ep3 is in there somewhere...lol. If you have anymroe questions, feel free to pm me.

Whitey's writeup is the most detailed.

frm_808
07-22-2008, 01:25 PM
ya ur defanetly goin to need one in az. been there and done taht. just moved my old roomies up here!! it was humid this past sat man. sucked. but just save and spend money on a good one, two way and everything everyone said above!!^

milob86
07-22-2008, 09:06 PM
How bout this. Ive been wanting to go with the Ravelco. www.ravelco.com anyway, it sounds ok i dont know what peaple say about them and i was about to bring it up here on the forums, but it saves me time to just add it here. Ok, so anyone got any opinions/pros/cons about the ravelco security unit?????

clutch797
07-22-2008, 09:30 PM
i spent $500 on my two way pager system and thank god it has not paided for its self yet. I pray no one fucks with my car but if it dose, My sig. will come out. God bless Texas.

VegaS10
07-23-2008, 04:51 AM
How bout this. Ive been wanting to go with the Ravelco. www.ravelco.com anyway, it sounds ok i dont know what peaple say about them and i was about to bring it up here on the forums, but it saves me time to just add it here. Ok, so anyone got any opinions/pros/cons about the ravelco security unit?????

I've never seen one installed in a car.

The only problem I can imagine is laziness with the plug. After awhile, people would tend to stop removing it EVERYTIME they get in and out the car. The pics I've seen have that god awful looking plug installed too far away froma keychain, which means you have to take your end of the device off your keychain each time.

Not only that, you have to drill a HUGE hole in the dash to mount it properly.

2005rollingegg
07-25-2008, 03:31 PM

Yeah get a professional. Just looking at the diagrams are confusing. Any of the popular brands will you do you fine.

musashi1219
07-25-2008, 03:37 PM
also if you go and get one and they want to charge you extra for locks you can do that part yourself. Alarms are not that hard to do... but they are not for the weak at heart.

The last guy that did one on his own called me a couple of times and it took him most of the day.

eunsangie
07-25-2008, 11:41 PM
damn VegaS10 you do hell of a job on alarm install.
i paid 170 for a damn alarm install and they didnt even install my window module and hood sensor.
i wish you lived near me, or i live near you.

VegaS10
07-26-2008, 04:57 AM
Window modules are a pain in the ass. Especially in cars with Molex plugs in the doors, like ours. It's very common to charge extra to add those in.

The hood pin would not have been much effort to install. Did you ask them to install it?

musashi1219
07-26-2008, 06:11 AM
window module is not difficult in the EP. YOu only need to run a couple of wires in the door. The hard one to do is a trailblazer... because you cannot use the factory molex to run wires through

polymorphic
07-29-2008, 12:36 PM
So, you have to replace the standard keyless entry locks that came with the si with the alarm system's?

VegaS10
07-29-2008, 02:55 PM
No.

You simply tap into the factory wiring.

abstract
08-01-2008, 01:02 PM

ravelci is teh shit. i had it on 2 of my cars... no problems. I feel like if its gonna be stolen there gonna have to tow it. Install took about 3 hours and it cost about 350 depending where u live and they come to u to do the install

id also look into skyguard
http://www.skyguard.com/controller.do?action=index
there just like lo jack except u can track i yourself with any pc and they also have free early warnng detection which basically informs u if the car movers 300 feet via cell,email.
The only con to the free monthly service is that there expensive to install

VegaS10
08-02-2008, 05:04 AM
LMAO!

If you wait for the pics to roll through on the main page, there is a "text" that comes up saying something like "Alex's car has gone over 60 mph".

I'd see if they can customize it to say something like: "Aww shit, Alex is out acting a fool, you best go check on that little mf'er".....lol

Anyways, alot of companies are now offering GPS tracking with their systems. I think it's a great idea. Just need to do research before purchasing.