PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to remove the oem heat shield?

Fish
07-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey guys, I got my megan midpipe this week and it's installed, it sounds amazing from 1-2.4k~ and after that I'm getting a mad rattling noise. My friends think it's the stock axleback but I'm still convinced it's the stupid heat shield that's between the midpipe and floorboard. I bent my entire exhaust system so that there's easily .5" of clearance at all points between the shield and the pipe, but the rattle is still there. My car sounds terrible most of the time and I hate it as of now.

My question is, is there a way to dampen the vibration (which I think is caused by the sound, because it is so deep) on the heat shield so I can keep it on without it making that annoying rattle, or is it safe to remove alltogether?

Thanks..

clutch797
07-20-2008, 07:06 PM
I had that problem so i went to a exhaust shop and had them fix it for 50 bucks. Just a side note, I removed mine on my ep and have had zero problems.

jh604
07-20-2008, 07:41 PM
i got ESMM inserts and it solved the problem for me

Fish
07-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Well, I just confirmed that it's not the muffler, and I removed the farthest back heat shield and that wasn't it either. Pisses me off. I'm not sure where this sound is coming from, it's like a high pitched-high intensity vibrating metal noise.. Like the sound that riced out CRXs and such make..

jh604
07-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Well, I just confirmed that it's not the muffler, and I removed the farthest back heat shield and that wasn't it either. Pisses me off. I'm not sure where this sound is coming from, it's like a high pitched-high intensity vibrating metal noise.. Like the sound that riced out CRXs and such make..

do you know where the rattling is coming from?

Fish
07-20-2008, 07:50 PM
It seems like it's coming from directly under the passenger's seat, but I checked that heat shield too and it's not touching any part of the exhaust. I'm going to try and check if I can see what's making the noise tomorrow when I have someone to help me and rev it to the ranges where the vibration is.

like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LSz9bi6TGhQ sort of

jh604
07-20-2008, 07:57 PM
It seems like it's coming from directly under the passenger's seat, but I checked that heat shield too and it's not touching any part of the exhaust. I'm going to try and check if I can see what's making the noise tomorrow when I have someone to help me and rev it to the ranges where the vibration is.

ahhh mine was at the same spot seat/floor well? in my case was at the first and second bend my midpipe cleared the underbody, but not by much (.5"-.75"). it would ONLY rattle in when there was moisture even a little of rain OR when i was reversing. i got a raceheader but i installed the ESMM inserts first and it solved my problem. you probably have close to the same problem that i have so...either 1) bring it to a shop and they can reheat/bend it so you have more clearence. 2)ESMM inserts may help (good mod to have anyways). 3) maybe you can install polyethylene hangers so help reduce movement of the exhasut system.

v1c10us
07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
you could wrap it in exhaust wrap?

gutierrez626
07-20-2008, 10:33 PM
i get the same rattle under the front seats when im on the fwy and let say going 80 and then stop pressing the gas it feel like its knocking down there i also wanna know if its cool to take the heatsheild off the one near the cat???

ALep3
07-20-2008, 10:37 PM
My heat shield has been off since I first put on a catback and shorty in 04, I have had no issues with it being off.

EPSpeedKing
07-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Took my off a long time ago, no problems encountered.

BigBurch422
07-20-2008, 11:09 PM
yea i had a rattling noise for awhile comin from the same place with just a catback. i just completely took off the heatsheild n no more rattles, no problems with it being off either.

hatchman
07-21-2008, 08:04 AM
my exhaust feels like it hits the bottom of the car now n rattles as well

Fish
07-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Wait, is it safe to remove the one above the cat as well? Because that's my next suspect.

kprocivic
07-21-2008, 10:01 AM
i had the same thing happen to me. i removed all the heat shields and it was still happening. turns out it was just knocking on the bottom of the car. a new hanger eliminated that. so try taking off the heat shield then if it still knocks get a new hanger installed near the bottom of your car where it bangs and it should be ok.

Sir1982
07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
My heat shield has been off since May 07, had no issues since... and i'm doing the one above soon.

Fish
07-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Where/how would I install a new hanger?

Also anyone have a link to polyurethane hanger bushings?

hoesnaps
07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
IMO the heatshield really has no purpose with an aftermarket exhaust.

56chevydan
07-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Why not lift the car up on ramps and start the car up with the help of a friend, for safety reasons, and try to pinpoint the source of the rattling. If you can't find the area of rattling, take the heat shields off.

If the rattling is still there, and you still can't find the area that is rattling then wait until the exhaust has cooled down and bang on the bottom of the muffler, and see if a baffle in the muffler has came loose. Replace the heatshields if they're not the culprit.

If none of this helps, it might be time for a trip to the muffler shop for their input.

!@#$%
07-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Where/how would I install a new hanger?

Also anyone have a link to polyurethane hanger bushings?

You'll have to get one welded at a local muffler shop.

Fish
07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Alright, I ate it up and bought some ramps today and removed all of the heat shields and made sure my new muffler is extra tight. No leaks in the exhaust, and the banging is still here. My next step is to try to pad the sway bar with some radiator hose and pipe clamps and see if that fixes it because it appears to be the most likely candidate and would also explain why I get banging when crooked on a curb because of the suspension components being bent. If that doesn't work I'll go over to a shop and have them look at it. My next step if they can't fix is it ESMMs.. but it could be bad because I have no help here and I don't have a jack. That would mean hundreds in labor :/