PDA

View Full Version : Skunk2 Stage1 Cams effect on fuel consumption?

b16killer
07-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi all! I have a set of Skunk2 stage1 cams for K20A3 and I'm tryng to decide whether I should have them installed or sell them what with the skyrocketing prices of fuel these days. To aid in my decision, I was hoping those of you on Skunk2 stage1's + basic bolt-ons can share with me the effects of the cams on your fuel consumption. Like any idea by how many MPGs your rides increased or decreased? I know that improving the engine's with peformance upgrades inevitable affects fuels consumption given that you cannot make more HP without burning more air+fuel, I'm just trying to weigh if I can still afford to drive the car around if I have the cams installed. Help please! Much thanks in advance!:mbiggrin:

kon
07-20-2008, 10:52 PM
First question is do you have engine management, hondata or anything? If the answer is no, then you will be waseting your time with these cams. To answer your question, you should not see a decrease in mpg with these cams if tuned right. I ran I/RH/E, Kpro and stage 2 cams and got close to 30mpg.

b16killer
07-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! In terms of engine management, KPro isn't available where I'm from so my only choices are Dastek Unichip or Greddy eManage Ultimate. Anyhow, your consumption of 30 mpg inreased or dropped from an original of how many mpgs? I'm trying to get an idea of how much the increase or decrease (or none) if ever. Thanks again!

4angrybadgers
07-21-2008, 05:17 AM
First question is do you have engine management, hondata or anything? If the answer is no, then you will be waseting your time with these cams. To answer your question, you should not see a decrease in mpg with these cams if tuned right. I ran I/RH/E, Kpro and stage 2 cams and got close to 30mpg.

Stage 1s are perfectly fine on the stock ECU.

04cvcsi
07-21-2008, 07:51 AM
my mpg didn't seem to change at all when i installed mine, so about 30ish mpg. i once got 27 mpg (a lot of city driving and some highway driving) and 35mpg (all highway from a road trip) after the cams were installed

oh yeah, i'm running on the stock ecu with a cai/dcrh/e/hondata IMG

b16killer
07-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I will install the cams...:mbiggrin: