PDA

View Full Version : What to do if CTR rear sway is banging up against Greddy Ti-C exhaust?

nos4mao
07-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Ok.... when I first put on the sway.. there was a lot of noise coming from the sway. S what I did to solve that problem was I greased up the bushings which did help the noise, but I still got that banging/knocking like sound coming from the exhaust contacting the sway. I tried adjusting the sway with those bushings, but no luck. Should I look into to new hangers or what?

Thanks,
Matt

Stoop
07-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Are you using the stock CTR bushings that came with the sway bar? If so, that may be your issue. I ran into the same thing - a knocking/banging sound mainly when going around turns. However, I had the stock exhaust.

I ended up replacing the bushings with the energy suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings and the sound went away. I never had an issue after that....

nos4mao
07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Im using the energy bushings which eliminated the noise but I'm still banging against the exhaust!!...hmmm

Thanks,
Matt

pynikal
07-21-2008, 06:28 PM
i have herd of some people running there exhaust under the control arm for clearence, but than you might have exhaust to street clearence issues.
:noidea:

RedSiBaron
07-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Ok.... when I first put on the sway.. there was a lot of noise coming from the sway. S what I did to solve that problem was I greased up the bushings which did help the noise, but I still got that banging/knocking like sound coming from the exhaust contacting the sway. I tried adjusting the sway with those bushings, but no luck. Should I look into to new hangers or what?

Thanks,
Matt

dude, did you try pulling the sway and flipping it over like i told you, it was upside down when i saw it last weekend...

nos4mao
07-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Yea man.... I took your advice and flipped the sway from being upside down to its actual position but I'm still having issues with it banging against the Greddy Ti-C!!....hmmm

Thanks,
Matt

RedSiBaron
07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Yea man.... I took your advice and flipped the sway from being upside down to its actual position but I'm still having issues with it banging against the Greddy Ti-C!!....hmmm

Thanks,
Matt

hhhmmmmmm, thats weird...

nos4mao
07-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Yea I know.... it is weird?.... I cant think of what to do? I dont think it has to do with the corsport endlinks though? Would new a exhaust hanger help take care of the banging issue between my sway and the exhaust? I never thought this problem would happen. Thats why I didnt buy the Progress rear sway and tie bar combo bc of clearance issues. I thought for sure the CTR rear sway wouldnt have any issues. I guess I'm wrong... man this is frustrating!

Thanks,
Matt

zzfinaldropzz
07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
the way i did it w/ mine when i had the greddy exhaust was. I use a metal wire and i push the xhaust as far left as possible w/ my hand and wrap it right before the muffler and wrap the other end of the wire to the lower tie bar, then tighten it a little. and wala! no more banging. it only bangs when you turn left so the wire stops the xhaust from going to the right side..... try it. only takes 5 mins.

T_Virus
07-22-2008, 08:32 AM
dude, did you try pulling the sway and flipping it over like i told you, it was upside down when i saw it last weekend...

I was thinking the same way...my good buddies, (they're on EPhatch too), had installed my ctr sway bar upside down which was hitting my hks hi-power exhaust...Luckly, his little bro came out and spot that it was installed wrong so it was fliped over and installed again. So far no hitting noise between my ctr sway bar and hks exhaust...

but I can't imagine people with a 24mm or bigger sway bar getting away with no banging on a greddy or hks exhaust...there is barely any clearance with the 22mm ctr and hks exhaust...

nos4mao
07-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Isnt there some type of tape or foam like material that I could use. I would place it where ever the sway and exhaust meet. Thats seems like that could take care of it!

Thanks,
Matt

jimmyjames
07-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Assuming you have verified the sway bar is the right way up, you can do one of three things.
1. Get a different exhaust
2. Bend the hangers for the exhaust (2 on muffler and 2 on car)
3. Wrap the sway bar and/or axle back piping with heat wrap

To expand a little on number 2, you need to raise the height of the exhaust up. You can accomplish this easily by forcibly bending the hanger bars so that the exhaust sits higher.