PDA

View Full Version : drop it the right way

black05ep
07-21-2008, 07:25 PM
ok i just ordered the progress springs.i really wanna drop it asap,but i started reading posts about droppin the ep and havin problems with the steeringand being a paint in the ass on the front with the mcpherson struts.a few questions.how much neg camber is enough? is 1 degree front and rear good for DD but also for fun and still not where the tires fast? i know i need shocks,and a camber kit.wut else is nessesary to drop it.is that all thats the basicly important part,and the sway barsand control arms are just makin it better? becuz when they got here i was just gna throw them on at work,but now im havin alot of 2nd thoughts about it.i just wnt to make suyre shocks,and camber kit is all that i need as a base to drop it. im sure someone can confirm my questions and lead me on a good path.and will 1.8f and 1.5r cause the steering rack creak.im very concerned about dropping at this point.thanks.:mfrown:

silver hatch
07-21-2008, 11:10 PM
ok i just ordered the progress springs.i really wanna drop it asap,but i started reading posts about droppin the ep and havin problems with the steeringand being a paint in the ass on the front with the mcpherson struts.a few questions.how much neg camber is enough? is 1 degree front and rear good for DD but also for fun and still not where the tires fast? i know i need shocks,and a camber kit.wut else is nessesary to drop it.is that all thats the basicly important part,and the sway barsand control arms are just makin it better? becuz when they got here i was just gna throw them on at work,but now im havin alot of 2nd thoughts about it.i just wnt to make suyre shocks,and camber kit is all that i need as a base to drop it. im sure someone can confirm my questions and lead me on a good path.and will 1.8f and 1.5r cause the steering rack creak.im very concerned about dropping at this point.thanks.:mfrown:

Well, if you want a little more oversteer, 1 deg. neg. camber in the front and 0 deg. neg. in the rear is good for a dd imo. You'd probably be somewhere close to that by just getting a camber kit for the rear and not the front. That shouldn't wear your tires very much at all. Just make sure to get an alignment for sure after everything is in though, because tire wear is affected by both toe and camber.

Getting a thicker rear sway would give you even more oversteer by stiffening up the back, so that's just a matter of preference which is not necessary to prevent tire wear. As for lower control arms (lca's), most people just get them for the bling factor since they don't really have much of an effect with handling.

If you have the money, tokiko d-spec's are the way to go with aftermarket springs imo.

With a progress drop, your tie rods will be noticeably angled upward causing some stress on your steering rack, so some inverted tie rod ends could help you out there to straighten them up a little better. The only thing is that I've heard stories about them breaking, which could cause a dangerous situation. I'm not sure about the likelihood of that happening, but it's just something to think about.

black05ep
07-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Well, if you want a little more oversteer, 1 deg. neg. camber in the front and 0 deg. neg. in the rear is good for a dd imo. You'd probably be somewhere close to that by just getting a camber kit for the rear and not the front. That shouldn't wear your tires very much at all. Just make sure to get an alignment for sure after everything is in though, because tire wear is affected by both toe and camber.

Getting a thicker rear sway would give you even more oversteer by stiffening up the back, so that's just a matter of preference which is not necessary to prevent tire wear. As for lower control arms (lca's), most people just get them for the bling factor since they don't really have much of an effect with handling.

If you have the money, tokiko d-spec's are the way to go with aftermarket springs imo.

With a progress drop, your tie rods will be noticeably angled upward causing some stress on your steering rack, so some inverted tie rod ends could help you out there to straighten them up a little better. The only thing is that I've heard stories about them breaking, which could cause a dangerous situation. I'm not sure about the likelihood of that happening, but it's just something to think about.

ok so all i really need is the shocks,a rear camber kit,and inverted tie rod,there is a guy makin custom ones on club rsx and he tracks his car and his havent broke but i read about the t1r's breaking.im probly gna get the d-specs...my setup in my head was gna b the progress springs,dspecs,f and r,or just r camber kit since u said that,and the progress rear sway,now i gota find a good inverted tierod.i dont autox my car.i want to,and mayb once every6 mths i may take it to the strip.other than that i just like to have fun takin corners.so does that sound like a good setup? it seems to b wut alot of eps are runnin minus the inverted tierod?

silver hatch
07-22-2008, 08:30 PM
ok so all i really need is the shocks,a rear camber kit,and inverted tie rod,there is a guy makin custom ones on club rsx and he tracks his car and his havent broke but i read about the t1r's breaking.im probly gna get the d-specs...my setup in my head was gna b the progress springs,dspecs,f and r,or just r camber kit since u said that,and the progress rear sway,now i gota find a good inverted tierod.i dont autox my car.i want to,and mayb once every6 mths i may take it to the strip.other than that i just like to have fun takin corners.so does that sound like a good setup? it seems to b wut alot of eps are runnin minus the inverted tierod?

Yeah, you should be good to go with that. The d-specs are good for a dd because you can adjust how hard or soft you want them, according to your liking.

ep_hatcher_510
07-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Blistens! :meek: