PDA

View Full Version : CAI+Exhaust= Bogging??

J-ROC
07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey, I put a magnaflow cat back and an Injen CAI on my EP...now i find (only sometimes) I am getting a very breif throttle hesitation when I shift to second.. Any Idea's why or how to fix without downgrading?

Thanx..

frm_808
07-22-2008, 01:22 PM
only to second? or every gear?
did you adj your throttle body cable?

did that and works alot better. alot people can vouch on that part man

J-ROC
07-22-2008, 01:25 PM
I've really only noticed it shifting to second and it only happens every now and then... never adjusted throttle.. And it's like a second or two hesitation.

frm_808
07-22-2008, 01:27 PM
ok maybe tahts not your problem then. but it doesnt hurt to do it tho!! well if it did it in when accel i would say tps. but from wat your saying im not too sure.

mike.barron
07-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I've really only noticed it shifting to second and it only happens every now and then... never adjusted throttle.. And it's like a second or two hesitation.

Mine does that too, I have a injen intake, header and test pipe. I find it is like a hesitation. I find mine does it when it is really hot. Might be our Nova Scotia weather..LOL..Where in NS are ya and what do you have on your EP

roc_city_ep3
07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Mine does that too, I have a injen intake, header and test pipe. I find it is like a hesitation. I find mine does it when it is really hot. Might be our Nova Scotia weather..LOL..Where in NS are ya and what do you have on your EP

Yes, I have been noticing the same thing...I have a custom CAI w/ k&N filter & Megan race header & full exhaust. If I shift to second and mash the gas I get a 1-2 second hesitation...

HAHA, not sure where I'm goin with this, except just to say I've been having the same problem. I pulled my bumper off & took my entire CAI apart, cleaned the filter, and put it back together and I still have a slight hesitation when shifting to 2nd....WTMF?:mmad: :mmad: :mmad:

BobSassafrass
07-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Did any of you reset the ECU after the install?

J-ROC
07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Well, while installing the CAI the battery is disco'd.. And reconnection is the last step... So i guess so..lol

J-ROC
07-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I finally found someone from NS on here...man, you've got to fill me in on where to get good parts local.. I'm having no luck., it's so frustrating. I'm just outside of Halifax in Timberlea.

Mods... Injen CAI , Magnaflow catback... thats it so far.. next is lowering Springs thinking (H&R)

Where u at?

Chazwick05
07-22-2008, 04:00 PM
i'm pretty sure that it's just the torque curves of our motor. there is a big jump in torque from where one would wind out first, shifting into second, to about 750 rpms past that point.

the brisk acceleration of first gear, coupled with the lower amount of torque at that shift point makes it seem as if there is hesitation, and once 500-750 rpms go by (or about a second or so) the torque jumps back up and makes it seem as if there is a noticeable "hiccup" in power.

civsirmt
07-22-2008, 06:59 PM
shift at 6k that should solve it:mcool:

frm_808
07-22-2008, 09:04 PM
how bout putting something stock back on and see if thats the problem. time for elimanating parts

put stock intake if it still does it, put stock exh. on, or headers, test pipe. and see wat the outcome is..

jalep3
07-22-2008, 09:12 PM
My car does this sometimes too, all i have is a K&N short ram. It only happens when driving lightly, so i don't worry about it.

roc_city_ep3
07-22-2008, 09:40 PM
shift at 6k that should solve it:mcool:

hahaha ya rev hard:mcool:

T_Virus
07-23-2008, 07:35 AM
mine does it as well...my mods are cai, shorty header and exhaust...I haven't done this yet but I'm thinking it could be: air filter, intake, throttle body, throttle body butterfly needs to be cleaned, and when your done, do an idel relearn...

bunk
07-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Hmm, I have CAI/RH/Exhaust and mine has never done this. weird.

roc_city_ep3
07-23-2008, 09:21 AM
mine does it as well...my mods are cai, shorty header and exhaust...I haven't done this yet but I'm thinking it could be: air filter, intake, throttle body, throttle body butterfly needs to be cleaned, and when your done, do an idel relearn...

Idle Relearn? please explain?

frm_808
07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Idle Relearn? please explain?

should be in the diy section unless it got erased

edit found it
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44701&highlight=idle+relearn

v1c10us
07-23-2008, 03:13 PM
the reason you guys probably notice it once you get a CAI is because at low rpms under partial throttle there is an enormous loss of torque to be had by installing the CAI.
no one does dyno's under partial throttle, but if someone ever did one before and after a cai you would notice a ton of changes.
Under full throttle its not noticeable. but its just cause you dont have any torque and like chazwick said because of the strange gearing in our cars you kinda get a hiccup

J-ROC
07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
For me it's usually a bit more than partial throttle, but what your saying makes alot of sense! I'm guessing thats the deal here. Thanks for your input, and I'm glad to find out that it's not just me..EPhatch is da shizznitt!! I think i may try that ecu relearn on the weekend anyways... Just because i've never done it..

Cheers

BobSassafrass
07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I noticed my EP does this too but more so when the a/c is on. Definitely something with the power curve, if I shift just right it's hardly noticeable.

shivic
08-09-2008, 01:20 AM
maybe your losing the back pressure.

is the exhaust crush bent?

magmagik 1
08-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Im not a 100% sure about this, but you lose some low end torque with a catback. So there is less power down there.