PDA

View Full Version : Brakes feel spongy...

03 degos finest
07-22-2008, 10:36 PM
The other day my brakes felt very spongy. It still feels spongy but not as much, maybe I got used to it. I check the brake fluid and its good. Has this happened to anyone else?

Windchaser
07-22-2008, 11:07 PM
The other day my brakes felt very spongy. It still feels spongy but not as much, maybe I got used to it. I check the brake fluid and its good. Has this happened to anyone else?

Ohhh, time to bleed them. You probably got air into the brake lines. Bleed, flush, and the sponginess will go away.

03 degos finest
07-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Is this a DIY type of operation? Or should I take to the shop? Thanks.

frm_808
07-23-2008, 01:12 AM
its pretty simple. 2 people is the easiest way. pump the brakes about 5-10 times. hold it down. and open the brake bleed zerks. you will feel it sink to the floor and when it does you say floor and your 2nd person will close it. repeat each side for about 3-5 times or until you see constent flow of fluid. you wanna start farthest away from the master cyl. pass rear, driver rear, pass front, driver front.

make sure you check the reservoir so that it wont get low and top it off when needed.

im pretty sure its a 10mm wrench. also if you have a vacuum line put it on the zerk so that it wont squirt anywhere. if not use a rag cuz it will shoot pretty far.

spike 03EP3
07-23-2008, 08:29 AM
If you're going to go through all that, you might as well just flush the whole system with new fluid.

Thing is, a brake system is a sealed system, the only way you can get air in the lines is if there's a leak some where, or you boiled the shit out of your fluid. :confused: