PDA

View Full Version : Emergency! Steering rack Q.

Shead
07-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey guys, my 02ep3's steering rack is fucked, and brand new from honda is like...1000.00. I have found a used steer rack from the 2004ep3, and i have called honda about the difference between them. The guy at honda sounded very unsure but said yes coz the part # was different and price. Do anyone here by anychance know if the 04 steering rack will fit the 02?
please and thx u.

Ygrene
07-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Ok, I can't answer your question about the steering with absolute certainty BUT I can tell you that every parts guy I've ever dealt with at the dealership only knows what his computer screen tells him. There have been plenty of times when I've had to tell the guy behind the counter that he's wrong and what I'm asking for WILL work.

Having said that, I would be extremely surprised of an 04 rack wouldn't work in an 02. Keep in mind, I'm no expert.

Shead
07-23-2008, 04:57 PM
^that actually helps me coz im was starting to think he was right. I too would be surprised if they dont fit.

oldschoolimport
07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
they are the same. supposedly there was an update, but it was just to differentiate between pre-TSB and post-TSB. get the 04 rack if its cheap. these are a crapshoot whether they are wear parts or not. my first one died in about 25k, my second one has about 45k on it, and its still tight. my third is in a honda box, sealed up in my shop for when it happens again.

Shead
07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
so the 04 one has no problem fitting on my oem tie rods and such? coz i called honda and the part number for the 02 and 04 is different :( but if u say so, im gonna take your word for it!

Shead
07-23-2008, 10:43 PM
they are the same. supposedly there was an update, but it was just to differentiate between pre-TSB and post-TSB. get the 04 rack if its cheap. these are a crapshoot whether they are wear parts or not. my first one died in about 25k, my second one has about 45k on it, and its still tight. my third is in a honda box, sealed up in my shop for when it happens again.

thx btw wat is TSB?

oldschoolimport
07-23-2008, 11:07 PM
technical service bulletin. its just short of a recall. honda acknowledges a problem, but won't recall the cars, because then they are obligated to fix everyone of them, whether they "need it" or not. there was a problem due to lack of "active lubrication" since its a closed electrical assist system, vs a pressurized hydraulic system like on the DC5. as time goes by, the slight on-center movement pushes away the lubricant, and the internal rack is metal-on-metal with the guide. as the guide wears, it gains a vibration (coffin-creak) with slight on-center movement. some folks cut a small slit in the boots and spray white lithium toward the center, re-lubricating the rack, and buying more time. if you have found a cheap rack, and it won't hurt you financially too bad, buy it, but try the cut and spray trick. it may buy you a few months to a year before you HAVE to change it. the new/used rack won't go bad waiting for when you really need it.

Shead
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
thx alot! much appreciated

oldschoolimport
07-24-2008, 12:08 AM
no problem. between a half dozen others and myself, we had a pretty good steering rack thread pulled together, but its off in cyberspace right now. :mfrown:

before I scored my new spare rack, I was looking into doing a DC5 hydraulic conversion. but thats on hold for 1 and a half more racks. :mredface:

jh604
07-24-2008, 12:34 AM
just buy a new car

Rayme
08-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Has anyone here relube the rack? Mine seems fine SO FAR and I'd like to keep it that way,...so lithium greese injected in the booth toward the center..? Is that where the 2 long tie-rods join in in the middle?