PDA

View Full Version : Audio Shop Rates

saintluk2
07-24-2008, 12:13 AM
I fibbed my own audio install, and since i no longer have a garage available to work in it's time for a re-installation, professionally this time. I'm new to this so, I just wanted to know how much you guys have paid to have your systems installed and what kidn of work was done ?

I talked to one shop that was popular around here and they qouted me $71/hour, but would not even give me a ballpark figure of how long it woudl take for what i wanted exactly. Then $136 flat rate at Circuity City's shop (prob same as Best Buy). I have to do more shopping around,.. ! :mbiggrin:

minivancoupe
07-24-2008, 12:31 AM
DO NOT go to best buy, circuit city, etc. those places are really bad. recently there was an article about circuit city messing up all the elctronics in someones car and they shortcutted everything. if you are set on paying someone to do it, find a reputable audio shop in your local area. as for rate, i dont know....self install ftw

VegaS10
07-24-2008, 05:08 AM
DO NOT go to best buy, circuit city, etc. those places are really bad. recently there was an article about circuit city messing up all the elctronics in someones car and they shortcutted everything. if you are set on paying someone to do it, find a reputable audio shop in your local area. as for rate, i dont know....self install ftw

Don't make such broad ignorant statements.

The si you mentioned was a defintie scam by the dealership, and by the end of that huge fustercluck of a thread, even most of 8thgencivic was dropping support.

Anyways, what exactly is wrong?

Going behind someone else's work is usually a nightmare. In reality, the best thing to do is rip everything out and start from scratch. Expect a higher cost for "repair" work than you would have spent for an initial install.

No shop likes working on someone else's work. It's never fun and if something goes wrong after that, the shop gets all the blame.

underOATH
07-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Theres a shop in my area that does $20 dollar install, but their markup is like 20-30%. My favorite thing about that shop though is they start install as soon as you buy the product, opposed to most shops keeping it over night. I haven't used them, but ive gone with friends when they got their systems.

A few of my friends have had stuff done at circuit city, without issue. But I guess it would really be on a car-to-car basis...

Id say just shop around locally, and flip through the yellowpages. And if you know someone with a system, ask them where they got it done and what they thought of the service...

VegaS10
07-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Id say just shop around locally, and flip through the yellowpages. And if you know someone with a system, ask them where they got it done and what they thought of the service...

Very good idea.

Also, make sure to speak to the installer who will be doing the work. Point out what you want, where you want things mounted and any problems you currently have.

Doing this insures clear communication and avoids any issues once you pick the car up.

saintluk2
07-24-2008, 03:10 PM
ahh all valid points. I think i have a couple of problems:
-The wires in general are not hidden well
-i ran teh power wire next to the sub signal wire and left comp. signal
-components are not tightly screwed to the door because i screwed up the door skin, that's embarrassing !(possible cause for no bass response )
-I might need all that dynomate whcih i slapped ont eh door skin removed
-Sub box in the back needs to be secured better (velcro atm)

That's about it tbh. This is becoming almost elusive to me. Im still going to consider C.C. and B.B. (will prob ask the techs some adv. questions to test competence). Good call on clearly communicating what i want to the shop tech, will def do that. I really do not want to spend more than $200 for this. we'll see what's up.

BobSassafrass
07-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I would ask friends if they know anyone and if you find someone work with them so that you can figure out how to do things. It's pretty crazy how much these places charge for something that isn't that techincally demanding.

The only plus to trying a place like BB is atleast you'll get some kind of warranty on the work.