PDA

View Full Version : TSX Pistons & Rods

bchaney
07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Which parts would I need to swap out the a1 internals for the a2?

Would I have to bore and hone the a1 block (for seal)?

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/schematics/mechanical/F619060.gif

1) TSX 2) HEAD GASKET 3) TSX
4) VALVE COVER GASKET 5) TSX 6) EXHAUST VALVE
7) TSX 8) VALVE SPRINGS 9) TSX
10) VALVE SPRING RETAINERS 11) TSX 12) ROCKER ARMS
13) SCREW 14) ROCKER SHAFT 15) TSX
16) VALVE ASSY 17) TSX 18) OIL PRESSURE SWITCH
19) TSX 20) INTAKE CAMSHAFT 21) TSX
22) CAMSHAFT GEAR 23) TSX 24) TENSIONER
25) TSX 26) GUIDE 27) TSX
28) CRANKSHAFT GEAR 29) TSX 30) FRONT SHAFT
31) TSX 32) BEARING 33) TSX
34) TENSIONER 35) TSX 36) PISTON RINGS
37) TSX 38) PISTON PIN 39) TSX
40) BEARING 41) TSX 42) Black
43) TSX 44) CRANKSHAFT 45) TSX
46) PULLEY 47) TSX 48) OIL PUMP

davisj3537
07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
You need to hone the block. Get tsx pistons rings/pistons/rods/rod bearings/wrist pins...I think that is all.

AliG-EP3
07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
You need to hone the block. Get tsx pistons rings/pistons/rods/rod bearings/wrist pins...I think that is all.

Yep, that is all:msmile:

dobbs02si
07-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Go used! Usually you can find a set of used rods and pistons for 200..just remember this will bump your compression up.

Fico
07-25-2008, 09:45 PM
i have a set of rods and pistons if your interested pm me an offer

bchaney
07-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Eh sry I think I'm gonna leave the internals alone.

Don't think it'll be worth the $ if I have to hone the block.

Ba82Ep3
07-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Honing the block aint that big of a deal. Its only a big project if the cylinder walls are really scored up, or if the engine had a mechanical failure, but the block is salvageable.

If your cylinder walls have low miles and nothing other than normal wear and tear, then honing them is just to freshen them up so they seal properly with the new ringset on your pistons. You can even do it DIY... just buy the tool and be sure to use the proper stone grit (400 if i remember right) and crosshatch pattern (45 degrees again if i remember right) mentioned in the manual.

Think of it as taking your low mileage brake rotors to a shop to have them turned, just because you are installing new pads. You dont really NEED to turn the rotors. You arent turning them because they are warped or because your brake pads wore down to the metal and scored the rotor up pretty bad. Youre just turning them so your NEW brake pads will seat evenly on a fresh rotor surface.

The difference here is piston rings help seal oil out of the combustion chamber. So a hone is more important in this instance, even if the engine has no damage/low wear, than the brake analogy above. Hopefully it can give you perspective on it though.

bchaney
07-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I was just thinkin it would be expensive if I had to hone the block. How much power would I gain from the bump up in compression?

Could I put these in an a4 and run the a4 head?

davisj3537
07-26-2008, 03:15 PM
The a4 head is the biggest piece of shit head out of all the kseries. You are wasting your time putting in new internals if you are putting that shitty head back on. Get a k24a1 head if you don't wanna get the a2.

bchaney
07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
My initial plan was to drop in an a1 longblock and swap the head sometime in the future.

I was then considering putting the tsx rods/pistons in an a4 and swapping that head in the future. I won't be going this route since the a4 head is no good.

How much power would the extra 0.9 compression ratio produce? Trying to figure out if it's worth cracking open the block. I'd rather do internals now then have to take the engine out of the car later.

Fico
07-26-2008, 05:24 PM
you can not use the a4 head without a4 pistons any other combo will work ai head/tsx pistons is cheap and highly effective

Deadphishy
07-26-2008, 05:38 PM
My initial plan was to drop in an a1 longblock and swap the head sometime in the future.

I was then considering putting the tsx rods/pistons in an a4 and swapping that head in the future. I won't be going this route since the a4 head is no good.

How much power would the extra 0.9 compression ratio produce? Trying to figure out if it's worth cracking open the block. I'd rather do internals now then have to take the engine out of the car later.

Well the More power your making the more the .9/1 compression will help you. Helps with low end.

My best advice is to make a plan. A plan you can live with money wise and power wise. sit down and write out all the things you can do now and later. Find out what you like best and do it. Don't just wing it because you will burn bridges that you might want to cross later on.

Like with me with almost 12/1 compression, boost is out of the question.

talonXracer
07-26-2008, 07:04 PM
you can not use the a4 head without a4 pistons any other combo will work ai head/tsx pistons is cheap and highly effective

I think the A4 head can be used preety much with any combo, it is the A4 pistons with any other model head where the issues arises. The horns on the A4 pistons impact heads not designed for them.

Deadphishy
07-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I think the A4 head can be used preety much with any combo, it is the A4 pistons with any other model head where the issues arises. The horns on the A4 pistons impact heads not designed for them.

On a side note the a4 head doesn't flow like an a1 head does. So it's pretty pointless to use. I think it's on par with the a3 head. Although I've read the k24 cams have a longer duration for more mid range and less high HP.

Fico
07-26-2008, 07:53 PM

thank you for clearing that up! i always look forward to your inciteful posts

talonXracer
07-26-2008, 08:24 PM
On a side note the a4 head doesn't flow like an a1 head does. So it's pretty pointless to use. I think it's on par with the a3 head.

Very true on that one! The A1 head flows better than the A2 head during the midrange and the same up top. Most of the A4 ports have a funky splitter in the runner between the divider and port opening, with some work with a grinder they can flow nice as well.
The A3 head flows better than the A4 does and the same thru the midrange as the A1 head.

Also with some precise grinder action, the A4 pistons can be modded to work "ok" with a A2 head.