PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up Paint

Mini-Odyssey05
07-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Quick question... so I chipped a bit of my paint accidentally alongside where the hood meets the body of the car.

I bought touch up paint... and it seems impossible to make the paint go on smoothly. Is there anyway to do so? or is touch up paint more for practicality than for looks?

(practicality as in to prevent further chipping/ or any rusting?)

BobSassafrass
07-27-2008, 04:06 AM
I was just about to make a thread asking for a DIY on touchup paint. I think you are supposed to wetsand the area first then use the touchup paint, then clear coat, then wetsand again. But hopefully someone will post a how to.

bchaney
07-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Anyone with experience please help out.

I have a chip where I shaved some badges and I'd like to fix it.

bchaney
07-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Found some info here: http://www.paintscratch.com/automotive-paint-tips.htm

Basic steps are:

Wash with soap and water, then grease remover (bug & tar remover)
Apply primer, sand
Apply basecoat (multiple coats)
Apply clearcoat (multiple coats), sand
Apply rubbing compound

The site has more specifics depending on if you're brushing/spraying.

bchaney
07-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Just ordered from paintscratch.com I'll let you know how it turns out, maybe even write a DIY.

gutierrez626
07-27-2008, 11:09 PM
i need this.. got a huge scratch on my rght quarter panel right above the wheel well..

SiiK20
07-28-2008, 01:01 AM
BUMP! Got a mild scratch on my front lip and on my rear bumper SH***eads that dont know how to parallel park

fatathaland
07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
I want to see this DIY too.

I've only used touch up paint for things like rock chips, where you can just put in a quick drop of paint and it looks fine (better than the chip at least).

I've heard before about the sanding step but I'm too afraid to do something like that, sounds like a recipe to make things worse if it's your first time doing such work.

JDMtunerEP3
08-14-2008, 05:57 PM
I've always made single stage touch up paint so that it fills the scratch, chip, etc. in better.

After you put on a couple coats and let it dry you can wet sand and buff and it blends in very nice.

Rayme
08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I use a paper clip to fill in the paint chip, (the brush tips puts way too much paint). Then you can ad layers until you reach the same thickness as the stock paint...I never trying buffing it but maybe one day...

-remy

shivic
08-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I use a paper clip to fill in the paint chip, (the brush tips puts way too much paint). Then you can ad layers until you reach the same thickness as the stock paint...I never trying buffing it but maybe one day...

-remy

that's a great tip, im going to do that for now on.

minivan_assassin
08-25-2008, 10:31 PM
http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=27

BobSassafrass
08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Great find! I'm gonna try this, this weekend.

MasterPD85
09-02-2008, 08:13 AM

-remy

for a scratch that aint a bad idea. But they wanna know about chipped paint so yeah, bush 'n buff it.

My drunk roommate slid up side my car with his jeans up and it scratched it good. I cried a lil inside and still do everytime I go by my passenger door :mcry:

Blackexcoupe
09-02-2008, 09:34 AM
http://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing/95437-how-chip-repair-wetsanding-some-obligatory-polishing.html

That is a really good diy I saw on another forum about scratch repair.