PDA

View Full Version : Need some help...bad!

EP3SiBoi90
07-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Ok, how can I explain this...

I just installed my Greddy Ti-C about a month ago. With about 2 weeks after installing and driving with it on, it was just great. The deep tone, looks, and the occasional sputter that I hear when I let off the gas and press the clutch. I was all, "$700 for this? Yeah, it was worth it." :mbiggrin:

BUT!!!

Just recently, well it happened a couple times in the past (never happened when I had the stock exhaust on), but now weeks after installing the new exhaust, I think somethings wrong and it's getting worse because it's happening almost every other day. Ok, so what's the problem? I don't know whether you call it bogging, or it's going into Limp Mode (I'm still able to rev past 4 and 5 but it's slow), don't know if the cat's clogged, I just don't know!! CEL is throwing codes like no other. At times when I'm driving, when I shift up or down, the deep tone that I love to hear has turned into something else. After I shift and put my foot on the gas, it all of a sudden sounds like my exhaust is choking on something, BAD! Almost as if it's trying to force something out. It sounds bad. Also when that happens, I don't accelerate like I used to either.

Now I have 140K+ miles on my ep, I've check this and other websites as to what the problems could be. I've reset the ECU many times(removing the neg on the battery and the fuse). Idle relearn. Oil level is where it's suppose to be. But, no improvment. For a car that has this many miles, I'm slightly leaning towards the cat being clogged, but I dunno How does a car perform when the cats clogged? I wish I could tell you guys the code for the CEL that it keeps throwing at me, but I gave Kragen a visit, and gave Autozone a call, and they tell me that they no longer provide the free OBDII/CEL check anymore. :mfrown:

So please guys, show me the light!! Has this happened to anyone before? I'm desperate here...:mcry: Kinda hope this all made sense haha!

bchaney
07-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Not sure what's wrong but if Autozone doesn't scan try Advance Auto Parts, I went there recently and they helped me out.

I think the first step is seeing what the cel says.

EP3SiBoi90
07-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Haha I'd try that, but there aren't any over here in CA.

I dunno, I'm desperate enough to by myself a OBDII scanner. Once I buy it and get the code, I'll post back up but in the mean time, I kinda wanna know if anyone else has/had this problem right after (at imo) installing a new exhaust.

ALep3
07-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I doubt a catback exhaust would cause any of this, in fact there is no way it's the cat back. I would venture a guess and say you are haveing an o2 sensor issue but again there is no way to tell without a scan tool. Are you sure the person at Autozone wasnt just being lazy, they still scan here.

EP3SiBoi90
07-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Well, I gave the closest one near my house a call, guy picked, I asked, and he said no they didn't. If they were being lazy, that's F***** up :mfrown: I'll ask them in person next time haha! I'll jack my car up tonight and check both primary and secondary. Would there be a difference in the way the car runs if the primary or secondary are bad?

Deadphishy
07-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, I gave the closest one near my house a call, guy picked, I asked, and he said no they didn't. If they were being lazy, that's F***** up :mfrown: I'll ask them in person next time haha! I'll jack my car up tonight and check both primary and secondary. Would there be a difference in the way the car runs if the primary or secondary are bad?

Secondary is only to check to see if your cat is running. If it's bad you have a cel but it doesn't change the way the car run. (I don't even have a secondary) Primary is the money sensor. It tells the computer to add or takee away fuel. If it's bad the computer just adds fuel, a ton of fuel and the car runs like poo.

talonXracer
07-26-2008, 06:45 PM
We can do absolutely nothing for you without all the actual code#. Most all major chain type auto parts store will retrieve the CEL# for you, make sure to get the # and not just the description as the Kseries differs alot from the universal generic readers description.

T_Virus
07-26-2008, 07:21 PM
The autozones and kragen in sacramento and the valley does not check your codes for free any more...you are going to have to rent their scanner for $120 or something and then once you are done with it, you can return it back and they will refund you...

I would help you if I have a scanner but I don't...sorrie...

Mickey
07-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Do the "DIY" to pull your code!!!! Its easy.

T_Virus
07-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Do the "DIY" to pull your code!!!! Its easy.

oh yeah, that is right, the paper clip thing right? But I thought that thread got lost in the ephatch crash...

EP3SiBoi90
07-26-2008, 07:34 PM
:meek: 120! Only for a day? Or is it until you return it on any day will you get your refund back? Dayum, I really wish I had a scanner of my own. I kinda was wondering why people all over the states are able to get there codes checked for free. Living in CA sucks right now. So many more laws to follow.

I'll try that DIY for the CEL and I'll see if I can record how bad my car sounds and post it. Thanks alot guys, all this is giving me hope!!

EP3SiBoi90
07-26-2008, 07:40 PM
oh yeah, that is right, the paper clip thing right? But I thought that thread got lost in the ephatch crash...

In all honestly, I've read a post about the paper clip method somewhere in the DIY section but nothing about how to do it. Haha, could someone enlighten me on how to do this...or just direct me there, either way is fine haha!

EP3SiBoi90
07-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Wow! Ok, I did the paper clip method for getting the CEL code:

Flashed 71 (P0301), 72 (P0302), 73 (P0303), 74 (P0304)...

I looked up the codes and found that it was a cylinder misfire!!!!!

So does that mean, it's my spark plugs? should I replace them?

D3xn2o
07-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Wow! Ok, I did the paper clip method for getting the CEL code:

Flashed 71 (P0301), 72 (P0302), 73 (P0303), 74 (P0304)...

I looked up the codes and found that it was a cylinder misfire!!!!!

So does that mean, it's my spark plugs? should I replace them?

If your getting a misfire code in every cylinder I would check your plugs When you explained your issue from the beginning i thought it might be this... when was the last time you even pulled the plugs and checked them?

EP3SiBoi90
07-27-2008, 04:15 PM
If your getting a misfire code in every cylinder I would check your plugs When you explained your issue from the beginning i thought it might be this... when was the last time you even pulled the plugs and checked them?

Hmm, I'm trying to remember, but I think I bought new ones and checked them was when I had to do a tune up at around 130K miles. That's just around the time I bought the car too.

Well, I actually just pulled them out just now, and wow, they look fine, it's just there was a bigger gap at the firing end of each plug. So I had to bend the top part slightly so that they were back to where they were suppose to be (.39) suppose to be. Using Denso IK20 btw. after adjusting it, I put them back in, started the car, too it out for a few runs, pushed it a couple times, and came back. I'm not having the same problems I was having as before....yet.

I hope that was just the problem haha! going to buy some new ones later. Thanks again guys! Couldn't have done anymore with your help.