PDA

View Full Version : Question about clay bar

Royal
07-28-2008, 07:05 AM
I bought a clay bar kit a while ago and the instructions dont say anything about the clay bar... They say to use a dry towel with the two liquids they provided. What do i do with the clay bar?

gutierrez626
07-28-2008, 09:03 AM
i used the megires clay kit and all i did was spray the quick detailer then rub the clay just make sure its super lubricated then. it says to rub the clay till it feel smooth because it will feel kinda bumpy first.. then wipe it off with a terry cloth.,dont let it dry..... then i did the wax let the wax dry then wiped it off with a different terry cloth so it was clean...

spike 03EP3
07-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Like was mentioned above, make sure you spray enough of the detailer wax so the claybar doesn't stick, and move the claybar in a back in forth motion (don't use a circular motion). Do one body panel at a time and after each panel kneed the claybar with your hand and reshape it. Don't drop it!!! If you drop it on the ground you have to throw it out or you'll be dragging all the dirt that sticks to it and it will scratch your paint.

fatathaland
07-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Spray the panel enough to allow for easy side to side motion of the clay bar.

You'll know you're done with a panel when it's so smooth the clay bar doesn't make any noise as you move it. You'll see what I mean. Another good test is run your fingers over the panel to see how smooth it is.

Don't forget you'll have to wash your car again to remove the clay residue.

IMHO Done right the clay bar is the single best tool to make your paint like new.

spike 03EP3
07-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Don't forget you'll have to wash your car again to remove the clay residue.

I've never had to re-wash my car, there shouldn't be any residue left behind because you have to wipe it down after the claybar. If there is a bit left, the cleaner wax will remove it anyhow. Besides who wants to wash their car twice in a day. :mbiggrin: Just my 2¢

mugen03
07-29-2008, 06:56 AM
yeah i didnt have to wash my car either, i didnt notice any wax left over just a smooth and clean surface

gutierrez626
07-29-2008, 07:41 AM
yeah i didnt wash my cr twice... i just wiped it off to the best of my abilities and then when i did the whole car i did the wax

dragon208
07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
u'll love how the car feels and looks after the clay bar!!
once u drop it onto the ground or whatever.. dispose it.. otherwise u'll pickup the dirt and scratch it all over ur car like what "spike 03EP3" said..

no need to use the WHOLE bar of the clay.. just take a quarter or so off at a time and use it...
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/dragon208/n502800926_799946_3289.jpg
look how shiny it is.. i'll get better pix of it being shiner when i get home!

3dkahuna
07-29-2008, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

MatUK.8
08-13-2008, 06:56 AM
I am pretty excited to clay bar my FA5. it may take a while but well worth it

OZ.EP3
08-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Make sure you don't clay in direct sunlight and wash it again after your done for better results, especially if your planning to polish, glaze and apply wax afterwards. Don't be lazy, do it right but hey it's your car . . .

BOOST FREAK
08-14-2008, 04:09 PM
1. knead clay so it fits in your hand
2. spray the area that your going to clay
3. make sure the area isn't that large, try maybe 16" x 16"
4. run the clay in a horizontal back and forth motion, and then vertical, make sure you overlap where you just went over
5. wipe the area clean with a microfiber towel befor it dries (please DO NOT use the cheap ones they sell at autozone, costco or anyplace of that nature, doing so will result in marring of the paint)
6. when you are done claying an area use a plastic sandwich bag or seran wrap, place it on the area you just finished claying and run your fingers over it, if you still feel contaminents you will have to do it again.
7. if the area is done knead the clay to show a fresh face to work with and continue with the next panel.
8. if you have any other questions feel free to pm me

rwest44
09-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Does it matter if you have somewhat fresh wax on your car when you go to use the clay bar? I waxed my car on about 3-4 days ago and i want to clay it tmw...

^^ the clay bar will most likely take the wax off.

mangvue05si
06-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Clay bars are great, yet I "over" did my whole car with "mother" brand and now their are a lot of swirls and scratches... YET it did get off a lot of debres off, like tree sap and road fillers, off my 05'