PDA

View Full Version : Honda called, side mirror is in! ... now how do i take my old one off...

McNastee
07-29-2008, 08:59 AM
and put the new one on?
I havent done a side mirror yet.. but i dont think its too terribly difficult..
Im runnin to pick it up now and will check back when i get home... hopefully its a 15 minute replacement.. so if anyone knows please help me out :D I'd greatly appreciate it

bunk
07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
sledge hammer.

bunk
07-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Seriously though, remove the door panel and then remove the tweeter. There are three screws holding the mirror in place.

Here's how to remove the panel:

A: Behind the "handle" here you will find a small hole in which you put a small screwdriver or something else and push inwards, this will result in the "silver" part of your handle will pop out. Behind this you will find a couple of screws....it is only the top one you need to loosen.

B: At the point of the arrow you can very carefully pry open this whole panel with a flatface screwdriver, behind this you will also find a number of screws....only loosen the one at the far left. Now the door is free from the screwing part....

C: Where the C-arrow points you will find an opening in the plastic....this is where you use a flatface screwdriver to carefully pull outwards (towards you ) which will make the doorcard pop out piece by piece...then just follow the edge of the card around so you can feel that the card loosens totally from the door.

Now comes the tricky part, take the card and pull it upwards along the thick arrow at the top...when you feel that the card has let go from the "lockpin" you carefully pull it away from the a-pillar, this will loosen the card even more from the door. Now the only thing left to do is disconnect the card from the door ( the electric windows and the "dooropener" ) by pulling easily at the connections.

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/images/door.jpg

McNastee
07-29-2008, 11:38 AM
So far so good... except for c.

I have the door separated from the lock.. but it doesnt want to pull away from the a pillar... its sittin prettty loose though

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2478/photo3ly0.th.jpg (http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo3ly0.jpg)
http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo3ly0.jpg

McNastee
07-29-2008, 11:43 AM
actually, as im looking at it, the weatherstripping towards the inside of the car is coming off with the panel, is that correct? secondly.. its suck at the tweeter im trying to pry it out with a flat head but no luck.. am i doin it wrong? haha thanks for the help though man, awesome diagram

bunk
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
So far so good... except for c.

I have the door separated from the lock.. but it doesnt want to pull away from the a pillar... its sittin prettty loose though

Did you unplug the connections already? If so, you kinda have to pull the panel up and towards you.

actually, as im looking at it, the weatherstripping towards the inside of the car is coming off with the panel, is that correct? secondly.. its suck at the tweeter im trying to pry it out with a flat head but no luck.. am i doin it wrong? haha thanks for the help though man, awesome diagram

Hmm, actually I can't recall on the weather stripping.

As for the tweeter, it's ok to use a little force, just don't break the damn thing in half. lol

McNastee
07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
done!.... except the door isnt popping back into place exactly.. the top part of the panel isnt popping back down.. i have the lock through its little hole... sort of. I managed to pop the bottom of the door in fine.. but couldnt get it over the lock so i pulled it out and am struggling to get the panel to pop back in so i can press the little white knobs back into place

McNastee
07-29-2008, 12:10 PM
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/3961/photo6ap2.jpg

That massive gap at the top isnt exactly goin back into place

bunk
07-29-2008, 12:16 PM
done!.... except the door isnt popping back into place exactly.. the top part of the panel isnt popping back down.. i have the lock through its little hole... sort of. I managed to pop the bottom of the door in fine.. but couldnt get it over the lock so i pulled it out and am struggling to get the panel to pop back in so i can press the little white knobs back into place

Yeah, that IS kind of a pain in the ass... Just be patient.

Make sure that you get the upper portion aligned first and get the door lock into position, then just kind of feel your way through it.

It took me a lot of cussing and a while to get it back on the first time. lol

McNastee
07-29-2008, 12:20 PM
yeah i actually just pulled the little window stripping off... im gettin a little pissed.

So.. do i have to pry the little lip that runs along the inside of the door over the other metal lip that holds the window? cause... thats what im trying to do.

bunk
07-29-2008, 12:44 PM
yeah i actually just pulled the little window stripping off... im gettin a little pissed.

So.. do i have to pry the little lip that runs along the inside of the door over the other metal lip that holds the window? cause... thats what im trying to do.

OK...

Step 1. Breathe.

Step 2. Replace the stripping.

Step 3. Now I'm not sure about the lip... All I know is that when you try to put the panel back on from the top, you will tilt the bottom of the panel towards you and the top of the panel should kind of "drop into place"... It's kind of hard to explain.

Heitzke
07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Do you have the rest of the door panel clipped on? The panel needs to sit down on top before any of the clips are pressed in. If not, the tweeter could be keeping the panel from sitting down on top.

STP03BlueSI
07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
sledge hammer.

+1:tehehyper:

minivan_assassin
07-29-2008, 01:48 PM
What sleepy said is the key.

Have the bottom of the panel tilted out and seat the top part first. It shouldn't take any real force. When it's lined up it should pretty much drop in. I've found it's pretty much impossible to get it in easy without angling that panel out.

Regardless though, it's still kind of a pain in the ass and it'll take some fine adjustment to get it to drop back in. Just don't force it.

McNastee
07-29-2008, 01:52 PM
OK...

Step 1. Breathe.

Step 2. Replace the stripping.

Step 3. Now I'm not sure about the lip... All I know is that when you try to put the panel back on from the top, you will tilt the bottom of the panel towards you and the top of the panel should kind of "drop into place"... It's kind of hard to explain.

Instead of breathing i had a cigarette hahaha.
i ended up prying the metal lip over slowly moving down the door and it all fell into place, i bent the stripping a little bit but it sits in place, the electrical works, window rolls up and down and the door locks so.... were done.
thanks for all the replies and help. I think i'd rather work on my motor next time..plastic breaks too easily

bunk
07-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Nice, at least you got it back on.

McNastee
07-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah... although sledge hammer was an idea i had... i just didnt think i could get a clean break :mbiggrin:

Heitzke
07-29-2008, 02:04 PM
plastic breaks too easily

that's the truth, but glad it's back together now.

oogy-boogy
07-30-2008, 04:49 AM
Moved. Please post in the correct forum. Thank you.

Endever
07-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Lol at having the same problem with the same door.

subscribed. thanks for the info sleepy3.

FYI driver side mirror is all you need to pass inspection and be street legal.