PDA

View Full Version : Acura TL Type S/TSX Brake swap

The King
07-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Is it possible to upgrade the EP3 rotors and calipers to the Acura TL Type S or TSX set up? If so, has anyone done it, any links, or generally point me in the right direction.

Thanks

The King
07-29-2008, 11:07 AM
People, stop looking at the post and respond, lol.

jtyler05si
07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
response....

dude cool your jets... not everyone has experience with tl and tsx brakes man....me for one.

i am checking in to look for answers because i would like to know...

so... free bump for you

The King
07-29-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm going to Honda/Acura in about four hours for some fitment questions. I think it'll bolt right up. We'll see.

The King
07-29-2008, 11:12 AM
dude cool your jets

Buy the way, I'm cooler than a glass of milk in a snow storm :mcool:

Ep3T0n3y
07-29-2008, 11:12 AM
good luck

jtyler05si
07-29-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm going to Honda/Acura in about four hours for some fitment questions. I think it'll bolt right up. We'll see.

can't you just call? with gas prices and such, driving places to ask questions is kinda silly.

awesome opossum!

that1blackhatch
07-29-2008, 11:33 AM

What dealer are u gonna go to? cause pretty much all of them will be able to tell u what brakes come on the ep3 and thats about it... i went to go buy some extra lugs for my car, and he said they didnt have them in stock, soo i asked to see some other lugs they do have in stock, THEY WERE THE SAME ONES!!! parts counter people know nothing... u are better off staying home and going through part #'s and diagrams then u are to go talk to one of the dealership personel...

if ur really gonna go down to acura, i would get most of the main part #'s off the rsx braking system and have them check the part #'s off the TSX and TL to see if they match...

jtyler05si
07-29-2008, 11:34 AM
What dealer are u gonna go to? cause pretty much all of them will be able to tell u what brakes come on the ep3 and thats about it... i went to go buy some extra lugs for my car, and he said they didnt have them in stock, soo i asked to see some other lugs they do have in stock, THEY WERE THE SAME ONES!!! parts counter people know nothing, the computer is smarter then they are with cars... u are better off staying home and going through part #'s and diagrams then u are to go talk to one of the dealership personel...

bingo....

or just stay patient and some one on here can tell you.

Kerby
07-29-2008, 11:47 AM
i kinda had the answer.... but with that attitude :nono:

jtyler05si
07-29-2008, 11:49 AM
i kinda had the answer.... but with that attitude :nono:

now come on....:msmooch:

RedSiBaron
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
i doubt theyll work without the proper hubs, i think its going to be a type r/type s swap situation...just go with the type r/type s brakes and be done with it

shadowmd
07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
it be sick....but u'd really just be better off with fresh rotors/good pads/good fluid/maybe even ss brake lines...

Zzyzx
07-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Anything is possible with a little fabication, brackets, drilling the rotors to fit and all the other little things... question is, how badly would something like this throw off your brake bias (very bad for stopping distances), and how much softer is your brake pedal going to be when its trying to fill those huge calipers with fluid? (Soft pedal feel).

Basically, there's a lot more going on then if they can fit. and asside from teh bling factor there are other options out there that dont have these unknowns.

powdbyrice
07-30-2008, 10:55 AM
be baller and get the nsx rear calipers
http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_249_251&products_id=612

jimmyjames
07-30-2008, 02:35 PM
It's all about the mounting bracket and the rotor size.
If you want the whole thing, you will most likely need a custom bracket.
I upgraded to '95 legend calipers (aka poorman NSX) on my '03 CL-S.
The calipers are a perfect fit but I needed to re-use the mounting brackets.
Unfortunately, brake parts are thick, heavy things.

I will tell you one thing, the front rotors on the V6 Acuras are heavy as fuck.
You will also need to have 18"!!! wheels to fit them too. I got some 17" snow tires in hopes of using them. Nope, won't fit, too small.

Here's a shot of my painted '95 calipers. I'm pleased :mbiggrin:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/jjgarris7/car%20stuff/baller_shit.jpg

All things considered, I would save your money and go with something else more practical.

jjermzz
07-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Can you get some wilwoods for the front for 700 bucks? Less hassle.

Kerby
07-31-2008, 06:15 AM
be baller and get the nsx rear calipers
http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_249_251&products_id=612

these delete the e-brake. not safe in my opinion.

The King
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
can't you just call? with gas prices and such, driving places to ask questions is kinda silly.

awesome opossum!

Went there for lunch with a friend, just asked once I got there.:tehehyper:

i doubt theyll work without the proper hubs, i think its going to be a type r/type s swap situation...just go with the type r/type s brakes and be done with it

The Wilwoods are a good idea, I'm just asking. Common question I'm sure.

Anything is possible with a little fabication, brackets, drilling the rotors to fit and all the other little things... question is, how badly would something like this throw off your brake bias (very bad for stopping distances), and how much softer is your brake pedal going to be when its trying to fill those huge calipers with fluid? (Soft pedal feel).

Basically, there's a lot more going on then if they can fit. and asside from teh bling factor there are other options out there that dont have these unknowns.

That's what I basically found out. The front brackets would have to be fab. I'm not big on fabrication of anything. So it's very possible but there are cheaper ways of doing. I'm now in the Deep Pockets Crew, lol.

Thanks for all the info, just asking a desired question.