PDA

View Full Version : Help, My Ears are about to Bleed

mattism78
07-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I just picked up my EP, and overall I love the car. Unfortunately the previous owner decided to put a full exhaust on the car and remove the cat. The car is obnoxiously loud. He also got rid of the stock components so I can't replace them. The car has a DC 4-2-1 racing one piece header, and a magnaflow exhaust. I desperately need to get it to quiet down. Are there sites that sell OEM setups? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

j0000stin
07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I just picked up my EP, and overall I love the car. Unfortunately the previous owner decided to put a full exhaust on the car and remove the cat. The car is obnoxiously loud. He also got rid of the stock components so I can't replace them. The car has a DC 4-2-1 racing one piece header, and a magnaflow exhaust. I desperately need to get it to quiet down. Are there sites that sell OEM setups? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you can probably find oem parts here in the classified sections....

the things you are going to need are the headers, cat, midpipe, and exhaust as you are doing this you can probably sell the exhaust and the race headers in the classified adds as well and in the end you would probably make a little profit out of it

mattism78
07-29-2008, 03:16 PM
you can probably find oem parts here in the classified sections....

the things you are going to need are the headers, cat, midpipe, and exhaust as you are doing this you can probably sell the exhaust and the race headers in the classified adds as well and in the end you would probably make a little profit out of it

I figure I could always keep the header and then do the OEM exhaust mated to it. I went all the local auto part shops to see if they had a large straight through mufflers. Only thing I could find were glasspacks and I'm not convinced they would help much at all.

BobSassafrass
07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
You need to find out if the header is a raceheader, sounds like it is. And if it's EP3 specific or DC5S specific. Then start looking for the OE midpipe and muffler. They are for sale in the classifieds section all the time, also check clubrsx.com if you need a DC5S midpipe.

Is it just the noise or are you also worried about emissions? Either way a stock midpipe and muffler should help alot. But you may not want to give up the performance of the race header.

mattism78
07-29-2008, 03:47 PM
You need to find out if the header is a raceheader, sounds like it is. And if it's EP3 specific or DC5S specific. Then start looking for the OE midpipe and muffler. They are for sale in the classifieds section all the time, also check clubrsx.com if you need a DC5S midpipe.

Is it just the noise or are you also worried about emissions? Either way a stock midpipe and muffler should help alot. But you may not want to give up the performance of the race header.

Fortunately emissions are not a concern in Florida. I do however want the car quiet again. I am slowly working on getting my post count up so I can participate in the classifieds section. The seller has it listed as a race header so I'm assuming that's what it is.

shadowmd
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
if u want quiet...look at the apex'i ws2.....brand new its $409 shipped from showstoppersusa.com

shadowmd
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
here ya go

http://www.showstoppersusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_21_23&products_id=715

mattism78
07-29-2008, 04:27 PM
here ya go

http://www.showstoppersusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_21_23&products_id=715

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm somewhat leary because I think I could probably buy an OEM system for that price and have the dual tips still.

ALep3
07-29-2008, 05:03 PM
your gonna hate the difference between the RH and and stock header and Cat. I'm just saying anyway I have a full stock exhaust I could seel if your interrested

Bificus
07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Megan axleback:
http://www.meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=826&catid=133

BobSassafrass
07-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Fortunately emissions are not a concern in Florida. I do however want the car quiet again. I am slowly working on getting my post count up so I can participate in the classifieds section. The seller has it listed as a race header so I'm assuming that's what it is.

You only need 100+ posts to sell something in the classifieds, you can buy stuff at any time.

Gargola
07-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I think it's going to be hard to truly quiet down your car without a cat.

I went through the same dilemma you did, I got a hold of stock midpipe and exhaust for $100.. and I love the sound.

I kept the shitty no brand header and high flow cat.

On another note, you might be able to get resonator installed for few bucks, not sure how much it would help though, especially if it's crazy loud.

Welcome and good luck...:wave:

bchaney
07-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Get a stock axleback (muffler) and a 60mm/2.5" midpipe and keep the header for the gains. Or a catback like the WSII.

mattism78
07-29-2008, 07:22 PM
I think it's going to be hard to truly quiet down your car without a cat.

I went through the same dilemma you did, I got a hold of stock midpipe and exhaust for $100.. and I love the sound.

I kept the shitty no brand header and high flow cat.

On another note, you might be able to get resonator installed for few bucks, not sure how much it would help though, especially if it's crazy loud.

Welcome and good luck...:wave:
I was talking with my buddy/mechanic tonight and he seems to think we can get the exhaust tone down to where I want by just modifying the stock system. I'm not so sure though. I'll probably try to find a stock setup to put on my car. I found a guy on a Florida oriented forum who is asking about my Magnaflow so perhaps I can break even on purchasing the stock unit.

As far as performance goes I'm not really concerned with going fast in my EP. I just traded my modded LS1 for the EP so any attempt to make this car faster is going to fall short of what my LS1 was able to do. I'm not in this car for speed.

The classifieds do require 100 posts to even reply to a for sale ad. Yes, I can send a PM, but cannot reply.

jalep3
07-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I would just buy a stock axleback.

mattism78
07-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I would just buy a stock axleback.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going to take. I like the stock tips anyhow so I might as well stick with OEM quality products.

jalep3
07-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going to take. I like the stock tips anyhow so I might as well stick with OEM quality products.

Yeah u cant go wrong there, my exhaust is stock but im going to buy a 05-06 RSX-S midpipe to throw in, its cheap and OEM.

Slip_Angle
07-29-2008, 08:09 PM
You could also buy a 3 inch carsound spun cat, bolt it to the race header and then add the stock muffler back with resonator. You will still have great flow and it will be stock quiet.

nizmoluvep3
07-29-2008, 09:04 PM
post in the want ads- Oem axle-back, im sure you'll find a lot of sellers

mattism78
07-29-2008, 09:07 PM
post in the want ads- Oem axle-back, im sure you'll find a lot of sellers

Can't yet. I'm working on getting to 100 without whoring it up. I plan on eventually becoming a donating member but for now I need the cash for the car.

I think I have a guy that wants to trade for his stock setup.:mcool:

jtyler05si
07-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Yeah u cant go wrong there, my exhaust is stock but im going to buy a 05-06 RSX-S midpipe to throw in, its cheap and OEM.

bingo!

with your raceheader (which i am guessing is EP specific), throwing a ~1.75" diameter stock Ep midpipe is kinda silly. If i were you I would:

buy a stock type S midpipe (it will be 3-inches too long since you are hooking it up to a ep specific RH, so go get a muffler shop to chop a section off for $20 or so.)
and buy a stock EP muffler.

This will make for a nice fairly-quiet sound.
fairly cheap too....

i bought my 05 type s midpipe for $90 shipped, excellent condition.
you could probably get a used ep muffler for under $100 easy.

if you want to know more about the type s exhausts, search around.
if you have trouble finding info on it, PM me and i will help lead you to the answer or to someone that will know it.

T_Virus
07-30-2008, 07:06 AM
get stock exhaust or apexi ws...

talonXracer
07-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Retain the exhaust you have now, and either use the stock axleback or just have a proper muffler welded on.

The stock axleback is good to well over 200whp.

The best muffler to add is a loop muffler, of which there is only three on the market, the Mugen, Hytech, and OBX loop mufflers.

jtyler05si
07-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Retain the exhaust you have now, and either use the stock axleback or just have a proper muffler welded on.

The best muffler to add is a loop muffler, of which there is only three on the market, the Mugen, Hytech, and OBX loop mufflers.

thats a good idea...
that will be cheap too...

dichotomous
07-30-2008, 07:30 AM

well, you'd have to custom weld it on there anyways with a magnaflow midpipe, so why not just grad a $70 ebay stainless twin loop and call it even?

bchaney
07-30-2008, 07:48 AM
you could probably get a used ep muffler for under $100 easy.

I sold mine on here for $50.