PDA

View Full Version : Is this as good as it gets?

SiRCivic03
07-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Let's say I was looking to make my EP3 a podium contender in SCCA solo events in say STS or something.(Currently I run in SM because I have a carbon hood and gutted on R- comps). I'm trying to re-tool my suspension to make the car work for autocross as much as possible. All I hear about is a "ground control with a set of koni yellows" as the best way to go. Is this how to make such a set up?

Buy Koni "yellow" sports here: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+Si+Hatchback&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&brand=KONI
Take this guide here: http://www.k-series.com/tech_document.php?id=8
Buy this coilover kit with ? LBS/inch spring rates here : http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=522/CA=71
Add these for added adjustment here: http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=154/CA=71

And finally put all those together with any mix and match of the parts I mention later. I'm talking about the essentials to building a competitive autocross car; It just depends on how deep your pocket book is. There are countless other aspects to building a suspension, like control arms, bushings, sway bars, camber kits, proper alignments, roll center adjusters, and most importantly driver experiance. So am I on the right track here? I'm in the phase of my project where I'm still saving up the cash to have the proper suspension set up by next autocross season and thus am still researching. Any input from EPhatch?

jeenyusss
07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
talk to mustclime, that is his speciality

Zzyzx
07-30-2008, 02:47 PM
If you are really trying to make an EP3 a contender in STS... then you need to take full advantage of the rules, specifically regarding dampers.

so, don't buy the regular ol Koni Yellows. Run a set of their race dampers, Double adjustable front and rear.

SiRCivic03
07-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Like the 8200 or 3012 series dampers for instanc any idea where these are available? As far as the koni sports goes do i have the right step by step process? like that guide mixed with groung control sleeves and eibach springs? Anybody know the safe spring rate lbs/inch to run with the yellows?

!@#$%
07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I suspect that you'll have to give Koni a call directly to get them.

liquid cooled
07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
I really cant see the SI ep3 being that good of a contender in STS

SiRCivic03
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
there is a base RSX and one type S that are doing well in STS in my area. I'm not worried about losing i just want better times. There is a 2001 turbo'd nissan sentra that beats everyone in SM, if i get bored I'll just do something rash and go SM. I do get what you mean tho, the Si is definately not ideal STS car.

Zzyzx
07-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm not worried about losing i just want better times.

no parts needed, Just seat time, seat time, seat time.

SiRCivic03
07-30-2008, 05:19 PM
no parts needed, Just seat time, seat time, seat time.

I get you totally. Thats why i said that in my original post. I'm going to every event in my area, plus the philly region, I'm trying to get as much seat time as I can. I have improved a little bit every time, but I'm also wildly inconsistant according to the philly region instructors, so I know seat time will improve that. But i didn't really ask what what makes the best times I was just trying to get input on set up. The best set up includes a driver with the right experiance, thats why I'm running novice this full season to take full advantage of the instructors provided in my region. But for when i am flyin solo, I want to have a setup that I will able to grow on as i mature as a driver, thats why i created this thread. Thanks

Zzyzx
07-31-2008, 08:47 AM
From experience, trying to tune a car around an inconsistent driver is nearly impossible.

you never know if its the car or the driver making the problem, and 9 times out of 10 its the driver.

My advice, because I did this my self, is to get in good with the Old men of the sport and talk one of them in to co-driving your car for an event or two. Nothing pounds in the fact that there is nothing really wrong with the car then having someone else drive it... and finding an extra 2 seconds in it that you didn't know was there.

But if you are really dieing to wrench on the car...
1st thing to do is to make sure what you are running on is in good working order.
if not, then replace & repair the worn or broken parts.

Your suspension bushings will probably be worn out, as the OEM bushings are super pillow soft. if not, change them out any way for a set of Polyurethane bushings or an equivalent.

Then we can start talking alignments and such.

But really, finish out your season with the car pretty much as it sits now. (worn & broken parts aside)

SiRCivic03
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
I never really thought of having one of the 'vets co drive it thats a good idea. I've heard that if you autocross the EP3 that the front control arm bushing will wear and tear rather fast. Does the Energy Suspension bushing kit help with the worn and torn parts your refering to?

Zzyzx
07-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Bushings definitly fall in the worn/broken catagory.

Swapping them out will also give you the oppertunity to mess with your alignment, so you may want to pick up a camber kit for the front & rear.

For that, Run about -2 deg on the nose and between -.5 and -1 on the rear. Keep toe within OEM spec's for now. We'll use that later to fine tune the car, specifically rear toe.

SiRCivic03
07-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Alright cool thats definately a start. I was taking my car to get an alignment soon because just picked up a front and rear camber kit. I'll put the bushings on my shopping list for next season if the Energy Suspension master bushing kit has the lower control arm bushing that seems to be a weak point.

On a side note, I've heard that the D3 Designs X brace and V brace are illegal for competition? Is this true, (sorry i just didnt feel like starting another thread)

Zzyzx
08-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Both such braces bump you out of STS & STX ect.. straight in to D-Mod, maybe street modified.