PDA

View Full Version : Factory Headunit and Sub

mRillfadE
11-23-2002, 04:55 PM
I just got a subwoofer and amp for a present and i was wondering if i could install it without buying a new headunit.
And if yes, how?

Glix2
11-23-2002, 05:47 PM
The stock head unit has pre-outs...

I'm running off the stock head unit and it sounds real good.

Jpax
11-23-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Glix2
The stock head unit has pre-outs...

I'm running off the stock head unit and it sounds real good.

thats the funny i havent seen them?..................

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/511/9488/p/141628_1836300047085234025_vl.jpg

sounds like crap to me?

Glix2
11-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Front
2 stock (1.5" tweeters)
2 stock (6 1/2" )
Rear
1 10" Infinity sub
1 10" IMPP pioneer sub
2 5 x 7 Infinity 2 ways
1 760 watt Sony amp

all running off the stock deck with RCA's from the deck to the amp.

jaydub
11-23-2002, 10:08 PM
Well are you using a line level converter or what, because there are no RCA outputs off the stock head unit.

Glix2
11-23-2002, 10:13 PM
I had a monster kit run from my deck to my trunk at a local shop.
If there are no pre-outs then I guess that's what they used. I just checked my bill and a line level converter isn't on it. So if that's what they used then it was free.

mRillfadE
11-23-2002, 10:35 PM
I still dont understand how to use the sotck headunit for audio feed to my amp. we need some techs here

mRillfadE
11-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Does anyone know how to install a amp without rca outputs on the headunit?

jaydub
11-23-2002, 10:44 PM
You need an item called a "Line Level Converter." It connects to the factory speaker wires and coverts the signal to RCA. Looks like this.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pix/converter.jpg

mRillfadE
11-23-2002, 10:46 PM
oh nevermind, i didnt read everything clearly...
how does a line converter hook up to the deck?
im trying to do this install with least amount of cash flow. rather go performance than looks. but since my girl gave it to me as a present i have to make it work. and it'll help me get more bitches.

jaydub
11-23-2002, 10:49 PM
Actually it splices into the factory speaker wires. It's easiest to do it right by one of the speakers.

mRillfadE
11-23-2002, 10:49 PM
Thanks for ur info input jaydubs , do u have any idea on how to get to the rear speakers?

jaydub
11-23-2002, 11:04 PM
I think the panel pops off, and it's just a couple screws.

BarracksSi
11-23-2002, 11:30 PM
Tell us more about the amp -- is it just for the sub? How many input/output channels? Does it have speaker-level inputs or just line-level RCA's?

If the amp has no speaker-level inputs, you need a line-level converter like the one mentioned above. No other way around that.

If it's a mono amp, you could just tap into one pair of the head's speaker outputs for a signal. Front or back, it's your choice. I would much prefer to combine a signal from the left & right channels, seeing that nearly every recording ends up with very mono bass, and there's not much room for stereo image separation for bass notes in a car.

If the amp has just two channels, you could run the sub and a pair of mains (I'd use the front speakers) off the amp. Use the head's front channels, connect the front mains to each channel, then bridge the sub across both channels (sub- to L-, sub+ to R+). Filter the frequencies by using "bass blocker" capacitors on BOTH sets of front & rear speakers and a low-pass coil on the sub. The sub will play the low notes; taking those out of the main speakers will clean up their sound.

Actually, filtering the bass out of the main speakers should be done no matter how you get your sub installed. Unless you're going to have an SPL monster, it's cleaner to have fewer speakers playing the bottom end.

The caps I used to have for my mains had a cutoff at 200 Hz of 6 dB/octave, and my sub coil was at 100 Hz, also 6 dB/octave. They sounded pretty nice, even without considering that the filtering cost less than 20 bucks or so.

FailureToStop
11-24-2002, 09:47 AM
I was going to use a line converter but I had reservations on the sound quality. How does your set-up sound? Compared to a system that didn't use a line coverter, does it sound as good or a littler or a lot worse?

Glix2
11-24-2002, 10:20 AM
The system sounds just as good as my friends $2,000 kenwood system up to volume level 5. After that the stock deck takes a crap. I rarely play it over volume level 4 so it's fine for me.

Unless you intend to replace every stock speaker there is no reason to buy an expensive deck.

If I ever get around to replacing the front speakers with components I'll replace the deck. It pushes my rear 5x7 infinity's just fine and they are rated at 50W RMS.

BarracksSi
11-24-2002, 09:02 PM
Has anyone found the actual power ratings for the factory head (Watts RMS/max)? The usual Honda literature only cares to say "6 speaker CD stereo" and vague stuff like that.

carbonSI
01-03-2003, 06:49 AM
while i was on my test drive, the salesman told me he had a friend that worked up at the audio shop just up the street from the honda dealership, and theres an adapter for like 15 bucks that shops have to make stock decks compatible, but they dont wanna tell people cause they want them to just buy a new deck, but when i get some subs, im gona go get more info on it... -mike

Jpax
01-03-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by carbonSI
while i was on my test drive, the salesman told me he had a friend that worked up at the audio shop just up the street from the honda dealership, and theres an adapter for like 15 bucks that shops have to make stock decks compatible, but they dont wanna tell people cause they want them to just buy a new deck, but when i get some subs, im gona go get more info on it... -mike

HAHAHHA omg that funny.

Hes problay refuring to a LOC or low level converter. there 15 dollars and you can use any amp you would like. :D

carbonSI
01-03-2003, 05:56 PM
so for 15 bucks, and some wires, you can run a sub off the stock unit? im just thinking about 1 '10, i dont wanna rattle the whole neighborhood, but i want the inside to sound clear as shit, ya know? im gonna eventually do the speakers too, but it would make things easyer, and make it look more clean if i can just run it off the stock unit, well, thanks for the info, im about to ride! -mike

Jpax
01-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by carbonSI
so for 15 bucks, and some wires, you can run a sub off the stock unit? im just thinking about 1 '10, i dont wanna rattle the whole neighborhood, but i want the inside to sound clear as shit, ya know? im gonna eventually do the speakers too, but it would make things easyer, and make it look more clean if i can just run it off the stock unit, well, thanks for the info, im about to ride! -mike

Yes for 15 bucks you can get a LOC low level converter. BUT you have to buy an AMP to power the sub. The deck dose not have enuf power to run a single sub. and you can buy any MONO block amp for your sub. :D

ta2dSi
02-01-2003, 07:52 PM
if you wanna get to the rear speaker wires, here is what I did:

I took out the back seat, folded the carpet down, and there is the wiring for everything going to the ass end of the car. I can't remember the colors of the speaker wires, but I know it was posted on here before. You tap into those wires, connect them to the audio link or other brand, and run rca's to the amp and you are golden! This is what I did and I love the way my car sounds!

ac22
02-12-2003, 11:04 AM
I did the same thing just got into the rears from the back and it was easy. I was lucky to have an amp the has speaker level inputs to i didnt need the adapter but it works the same. if you use the adapter you also need to run a 12v remote on/off from a light switch antena or on its own so your amp will turn on and off.
i am running a single 10 and still using the stock head unit and its just what the factory system needs.a little more low end punch.:D