PDA

View Full Version : Omfg!!!

NatesSi04
08-02-2008, 10:00 AM
So I was driving on a back road in Coinjock, NC this past weekend, had the Si loaded down with me, my dad, my mom and my wife, on a twisty 35 mph road with no banking. I pitched it into a sharp turn and apparently ate up the sidewall on the inside of the driver's side tire. Don't ask me how, I can't figure it out, it wasn't even so hard that the tires chirped. Only thing i can figure out is i might have had the tires overloaded. But anyway I got where i was going before i noticed that the tire was flat, I couldn't feel a difference driving. Didn't damage the rim at all, but the sidewall of the tire is soft as a balloon when you inflate it. So right now I'm rolling hard on some Mitsubishi steelies with 215/65/15s on the back and my tight ass Enkeis on the front. At least until I save up money to get a set of new tires. Sad part was the back 2 were brand new.

Anybody ever had this crap happen before, a tire just roll over and eat the sidewall until it broke the bands? It's retarded.:mfrown:

liquid cooled
08-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Try properly inflating your tires next time.

NatesSi04
08-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm very anal about my tire pressures, to the point of changing the air in my tires every couple of weeks. I visually check the inflation when I get where I'm going and gauge check it at each fillup. I was also running 205/40/17s, so there's not much sidewall there to flex.

As an update, I drove the car down the street on my ghetto-setup and the ABS didn't like it one bit. The first time I hit the brakes hard the ABS and BRAKE lights came on, I'm guessing because I'm now running 2 different sized tires. Wife won't let me get new ones yet though, she wants me to run the 4 steelies and friggin bigass tires for the next 2 weeks. Goes great with a huge friggin drop.:mcry:

talonXracer
08-02-2008, 02:41 PM
You were overloaded for those tires when doing such manuvers.

NatesSi04
08-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah thats what i figured. No sidewall = no load capacity. No load cap. + 105 degrees + 700 lb in car + sharp turns + cheap tires (Sunny? WTF is a Sunny?) = formula for disaster. We should've driven my dad's F250, it would've fared much more positively, but we wanted to have some fun and listen to Playboy radio on the Sirius. Bad decisions cost $, and I don't have any right now, so I'm rockin the "truck" tires on my Si which normally gets stuck on speed bumps. Guess i either have to find some 16s for mad cheap or pay out the ass for some 17" tires with a really high load rating.

NatesSi04
08-02-2008, 08:15 PM
So turns out i was right, the dealership I bought the car from put the cheapest tires they could find on it and the load rating was only 84. Seeing that the EP3 needs at least an 88, it was destined to fail.

mustclime
08-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm very anal about my tire pressures, to the point of changing the air in my tires every couple of weeks. I visually check the inflation when I get where I'm going and gauge check it at each fillup. I was also running 205/40/17s, so there's not much sidewall there to flex.

As an update, I drove the car down the street on my ghetto-setup and the ABS didn't like it one bit. The first time I hit the brakes hard the ABS and BRAKE lights came on, I'm guessing because I'm now running 2 different sized tires. Wife won't let me get new ones yet though, she wants me to run the 4 steelies and friggin bigass tires for the next 2 weeks. Goes great with a huge friggin drop.:mcry:

thats a problem.......way wrong size:gheywa: