PDA

View Full Version : Suspension/Wheel Sound Please Help

alawa
08-02-2008, 01:07 PM
This is my first post since reregistering today, but I have been an ephatch member since 2005. I have run into my first set of problems with my 05 NHB SI (41k miles). I towed my ep on a uhaul tow dolly (they secured it) and one my last mile of my 1100 mile trip, it got loose and fell forward. It didn't hit the ground or anything, just sat awkwardly on the hitch and put alot of pressure on the wheels. I was able to get the car off the hitch and it rode fine until the next day, I started hearing a sound that you would think you would hear if your brakes were going bad, but the thing is, the sound will stop and start without the brakes being depressed and it sounds like metal against metal. I took my car into a shop and they said it was my rotors (needed to be replaced). I got my rotors and breaks replaced and I still hear the sound. Its nothing with the engine because the car makes the sound if its moving with the motor off. The sound will be triggered if i hit a bump or if I depress my brakes, but once it starts it goes on for awhile, then stops, then starts again. I am taking the car back in on monday for them to look at it again, any ideas?

Brian Todd
08-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Possibly a wheel bearing? Does it get louder as you go faster or turn? Squealing noise or more like grinding?

skoolnu
08-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Wheel bearing. fo sho!

alawa
08-04-2008, 04:25 AM
grinding, the noise level is always the same, but it is usually triggered/detriggered when I hit a bump, then it will make the sound for awhile then it will stop, its totally random.

mustclime
08-04-2008, 10:17 AM
check your spash shields behind the brake rotors, one of them could have gotten bent into the rotor....making all kinds of noise....I cut mine off over a year ago....but you can just bend them back. :mangel: