PDA

View Full Version : hello

OldSirGuy
08-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Hey folks,

Just picked up an 04 SiR with about 70k miles (110k km). This car is extremely clean, was owned by another old guy like me.

I had gone out looking for a new econobox, I hated everything I drove so I started looking at alternatives, all I wanted was something new or 1 or 2 years old that was fun to drive, I had no luck so started looking at alternatives, after driving an 04 SiR I was sold.

...it's definitely more miles than I wanted, but I didn't buy the first one I saw, I can't believe how thrashed most of this gen SiR are, I looked at some with half the miles but rust, dents, mismatched paint, crooked steering wheels, cig burns ...arg, this one is clean, owned by another old guy like me, and the price was definitely right, even has what looks to be original rubber.

It's had a passenger door resprayed, apparently it was replaced under warranty due to a little rust, however their is no other rust on the car. The paint work is top notch ( I was a body man myself for 4 years). I'm fairly confident even it was in a bender it wasn't anything serious.

I did look at these cars when they were new but couldn't bring myself to shell out the nearly $30k out-the-door price.

I'd like to find the factory vehicle features list, like brochure type stuff.

I plan to keep the car mostly stock, I will do most of the maintenace myself, so I'll be spending some time in the DIY/car care forums.

all the best

Neil

ep3er
08-04-2008, 04:16 AM
Welcome newbie!

SI in GA
08-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello "old guy like me" . Your not alone.

jtyler05si
08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
why are they all rusting? i didn't think the ep had a rust problem...any one know?

oh and welcome

benkieboy
08-06-2008, 09:40 AM
welcome welcome!

mattism78
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Welcome, there's a good amount of guys 30+ on this site so you won't be the only old guy. I too just picked up my Si. The site is great, and people are quite nice. It just gets a bit addicting...

HondaCivi05
08-06-2008, 12:54 PM
hey everyone! just checking out everything! :] how are you

EPJuicebox
08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Welcome!

why are they all rusting? i didn't think the ep had a rust problem...any one know?

oh and welcome

I would think cause of the salt they put on the roads to melt the snow and ice.

BustedSony
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Welcome!

I would think cause of the salt they put on the roads to melt the snow and ice.

There's a bit of a surface corrossion issue with bolts, steering arm etc. The bottom of the fender under/behind the skirts can rust if salt and debris gets trapped in there, according to my mechanic. I'd say there's no general rust problem - HOWEVER there is an old guy around here who drives a silver 02/03 EP with faded paint, machine washed and never waxed I'm guessing, and on that car there's even rust perforation around the rear wheel well just like the 1980s Hondas. I feel quite ill whenever I see the car.

Welcome old Newbie.. I too bought an SiR to get something un-ordinary. :wes:

benkieboy
08-06-2008, 02:10 PM
age doesnt really matter. what matters is what you type.

magmagik 1
08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Welcome and enjoy:mcool:

OldSirGuy
08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
thanks for the welcomes

ya, it's definitely not a mainstream car, it has character and personality, it's not numb and boring to drive like most newer cars these days ...kind of like my other two vehicles, my family hauler (wifes) 06 Nissan Xtrail, and my toy, 85 Corolla GTS with some turbo goodness (all self fabricated).

Definitely if your buying a car in the northern half of the continent take a look at the underbody, and the front fenders where the body meets the bumper, I couldn't believe how bad the rust was on a couple of the cars I looked at, lot's of underbody surface rust, and many scary looking likely siezed already nuts and bolts and hardware ...yet as I said, mine has quite a few miles on it already and you could eat off the underbody. I think the bad ones are cars that saw salt and gravel roads and didn't get washed enough.

Hey I'm not that old, just cracked the big four-oh, old enough to be dad to probably a bunch of guys on the forum :) I feel 22 still ..well in mind, but got a lot of sore rickety joints that tell me different. Certainly takes me a while to recover from a session crawling around under a car on that cold garage floor, ahh the aches, I need a good cheap mechanic :)

Neil

shelbz
08-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Welcome to EPhatch!! :mcool: