PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: How to tune your GReddy Profec-B Spec II

makavelibranded
08-03-2008, 11:46 AM
This writeup was taken from evolutionm.net. and srtforums.com It is not specific to EP3's but will help you considerably when tuning.

Before you begin, you should have an idea of what you're aiming for. For EVOs, 19psi (131 kPa) seems to be a safe setting based on what people on the forums have found since it is close to what the stock boost pressure is, yet there is an increase in power due to the Greddy unit keeping the boost close to 19psi while the stock boost tapers off as the RPMs increase. I will henceforth refer to what you're aiming for as "desired boost pressure".

Definitions and things you need to know before you start:

SET This is how you set the boost pressure. Rather than setting it in psi or kPa, the Greddy unit allows you to adjust it as a percentage value, from 0% (greddy unit essentially turned off) to 100% (greddy unit will set the boost as high as it can). This setup demands a certain amount of trial-and-error to properly configure it since you have to make adjustments, then drive under WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and see what the maximum boost pressure achieved was throughout the entire RPM range. SET SHOULD BE SET TO A CONSERVATIVE VALUE WHEN BEGINNING TO TUNE YOUR GREDDY UNIT. 30% SEEMS TO BE A CONSERVATIVE SETTING BASED ON MY TESTING AND BASED ON OTHER REPORTED NUMBERS FROM EVO OWNERS AND TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION THE LINK BETWEEN SET AND GAIN (see GAIN below).

GAIN is defined in the manual as the value to adjust the "boost consistency". You don't really need to know exactly what that means. You should set GAIN to 0 when beginning, and you will then test the car under WOT while paying attention to the boost pressure. If the boost goes up and then falls off at higher RPM, you will want to increase the GAIN by a conservative amount (5% should be relatively conservative to begin with, then when you want to fine-tune it, you can go down to intervals of 1%). When you increase the GAIN value, the corresponding boost that you will go up to will be higher even if you leave the SET value alone. GAIN SHOULD BE SET TO 0 WHEN BEGINNING TO TUNE YOUR GREDDY UNIT.

START BOOST (also known as SET GAIN because that is what is displayed on the unit when adjusting this setting) is the lowest boost that the Greddy unit will begin increasing the boost from under WOT. You want this to be as close to the SET value as possible, since you want to keep as close to your desired boost as possible. However, setting it too close to the SET value will cause the boost to spike. You should set this to a conservative setting when beginning to tune your Greddy unit. Then you can fine-tune it later to get it as close to the SET value as possible without causing the boost to spike. Fortunately, you can set this in psi or kPa, thankfully Greddy didn't decide to let this be adjustable in % like the SET value. START BOOST SHOULD BE SET TO YOUR DESIRED BOOST PRESSURE MINUS 4 PSI (about 28 kPa).

WARNING is the maximum boost that you do not want to exceed. Fortunately, you can also set this in psi or kPa like the START BOOST value. When the boost exceeds the WARNING level, it will kick in the LIMITER, which decreases the boost a certain amount that you can set. WARNING SHOULD BE SET TO YOUR DESIRED BOOST PRESSURE PLUS 1 PSI (about 7 kPa).

LIMITER is the boost percentage that the Greddy unit will lower to when the WARNING boost pressure is hit. LIMITER SHOULD BE SET TO YOUR SET VALUE MINUS 4%.

PEAK is the peak boost value that the unit has seen since the last time it was cleared. To clear it, go to the peak boost display, and hold down the set knob until the unit beeps and "---" is displayed. IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO CLEAR THIS BEFORE YOU BEGIN JUST IN CASE YOUR UNIT HAS A HIGH BOOST ALREADY RECORDED.

LAST BOOST shows you the last boost that was recorded every time the accelerator is released for 3 seconds. TURN LAST BOOST ON BECAUSE IT IS A GOOD DIAGNOSTIC TOOL WHEN TUNING YOUR UNIT.

Keep in mind that when displaying in kPa, it does not show it technically in kPa, but rather misleadingly in bars, which Greddy inconveniently tries to justify by sticking x100 kPa next to the display. Therefore, 100 kPa will be displayed as 1.00 x100 kPa. Psi will also unfortunately be displayed in psi x10 so that 19 psi will show as 190, adding to the confusion.

Another very important thing to keep in mind is that when you first power on your car or the Greddy unit, WARNING will be set to 14.5 psi (100kPa, or 1 bar) until you interact with the Greddy unit by pressing any button. This "feature" is not documented in the manual.

Also keep in mind that atmospheric conditions affect the operation of your boost controller. When it is hot, you will get different results than when it is cold. One possible way of solving this issue is tuning your Greddy unit under the "Lo" mode for when it is relatively cold, and under the "High" mode for when it is relatively hot. Unfortunately, two modes are hardly enough for somebody that needs to account for very different summer and winter climates, and also for more aggressive settings for when increased performance is desired.

The maximum boost that you will see is also not consistent throughout the gears, which adds even more to the confusion. Unfortunately, if you've already increased your start boost to the maximum setting that doesn't give you surging, then there seems to be no way to get around this variance in boost pressure from low to high gears. I don't know if this is a limitation of the greddy unit specifically, or if it's something inherent to electronic boost controllers in general. The only two things that you can do to compensate is the following:

1. Set it to the "safest" of the settings that does not trip your limiter. To do this, tune the unit to your desired boost pressure in fifth gear.

2. Tune the "Lo" and "Hi" settings corresponding to having the boost maximized during the low gears and during the high gears. This would require you to manually hit the button to switch to the "Hi" setting when you shift to third gear or whatever you started tuning your "Hi" setting at. This is why Greddy makes the wireless remote switch that straps to your steering wheel to switch between "Hi" and "Lo" settings.

The following steps should be taken in exactly this order, taking into consideration all of the previous information:
1. Change boost pressure units to psi if so desired (see manual).
2. Set WARNING to your desired boost pressure plus 1 psi (about 7 kPa) (see above).
3. Set START BOOST (SET GAIN) to your desired boost pressure minus 4 psi (about 28 kPa)(see above).
4. Clear PEAK boost value (see above).
5. Set LAST BOOST to ON (see above).
6. Set GAIN to 0 (see above).
7. Set SET to 30% (see above).
8. Set LIMITER to SET minus 4% (26% if you followed #7).
9. Test for boost falloff at high rpm. You should probably do this in a wide open area with no other cars nearby and preferably no cops. It is also good to have somebody in the car with you that can watch the gauge while you concentrate on not wrecking your car. If there is no boost falloff, then go to #10. If there is boost falloff, then increase the GAIN by 5% and test again. Keep in mind that when you increase the GAIN value, the corresponding boost that you will go up to will be higher even if you leave the SET value alone. Repeat until the boost pressure does not decrease, or until you feel surging. If you feel surging and the boost pressure still decreases (not sure if this is possible) then decrease to the last level that you did not feel surging at.
10. Increase SET by 2% and adjust LIMITER accordingly, then test again. Keep increasing by 2% until desired boost level is obtained.
11. Increase START BOOST (SET GAIN) by 1 increment and test until surging is felt or the WARNING level is hit and the display turns red, then decrease to the previous setting.

Once you have followed these steps, you will have roughly tuned your unit. To fine-tune it, repeat steps 9 and 10 except this time only increase or decrease by 1 increment.

And a more in depth look

How To: Figure out that Profec B Spec II

Okay... You found a decent install and your EBC went on the car nice and easy right? Now you have no idea how to tune the thing?!? Well you have come to the right thread. Read a little more and I'll explain what all of that Start Boost, Gain, Set Gain, Peak Boost and other junk means in a much more understandable bunch of words.

When you start your car up the boost controller just sits there and does nothing but show you some crazy kPa reading that we don't widely use in the USA. To change that, hit the off button (hold select for 2 secs) and less than 2 seconds after its turned off hit the mode button twice. Now its in Psi! Woot! And you thought you were going to have to learn kPa?

Here is a list of the words the EBC shows translated by me.

Hi - Your high level boost setting

Lo - Your low level boost setting

Gain - How fast boost shoots to your desired level

Set Gain - How long it takes the turbo to kick in

Warning (red screen)- The psi you DONT want to hit

Warning with the L (red screen #2) - How much the EBC drops you boost
if you hit your warning level

Once you have memorized (or printed) that list, go hop in your car and lets get started! Bring a friend to watch your Boost guage for you it makes it tons easier!

When I first did my settings, I had Stage 1 only. That means that my settings then are pretty standard and can be used across the board as starting levels. If you don't understand what these numbers mean don't just plug them into your machine and hope it works, uness you are one with your EBC she'll never work the way you want her to. On the same note, unless you have the spring mod or an upgraded wastegate, you will not see near as much performance out of this machine. My wastegate has the spring mod which is tightened to start leaking around 15psi.

Hi - 40% (15 psi)
Gain - 45%
Set Gain - 100
Warning - 180 (18 psi)
Warning L - 20%

Which means:
I am running a max of 15 psi in Hi mode.
It takes around 3/4 throttle to get max boost.
There is little to no turbo lag.
I am warned at 18psi.
If I hit 18psi boost is lowered by 20%.

Lo - 25% (10 psi) For good gas mileage! Woot! And the rain!
Gain - 45%
Set Gain - 100
Warning - 140 (14 psi)
Warning L - 10%

Which Means:
I am running 10 psi in Lo mode.
It takes 3/4 throttle to get max boost.
There is little to no turbo lag.
I am warned at 14 psi.
It I hit 14 psi boost is lowered by 10%.
MORE........
------------------------

The but what if I want section:

But what if I want more boost?
Turn the knob up in increments of 5% you should get 1 or 2 psi depending
on mods.

But what if there is too much turbo lag?
Turn your Set Gain up in increments of 10.

But what if I hit gas and I only get 1/2 boost?
Turno your Gain up in increments of 5% untill you get it right.

But what if the red screen pops up everytime?
Your warning level is set too low, OR, your gain is up too high. (see boost spike below)

The That cant be right! section:

I was set for 18psi and I spiked to 22psi!
Your gain is too high, that means your boost is rising SO fast, your
wastegate couldn't open fast enough to let the extra boost out in time.
Remember, the higher the Set Gain, the faster boost rises. If it is set too
high, you get boost spike!

It takes 10 seconds for my turbo to finally kick in, in every gear!
Your Set Gain is WAY too low, remember set gain is almost like turbo lag on
demand, the higher the number the LESS turbo lag you have. Also, if Set
Gain is set too high, it may 'blow your sparks out' like a birthday candle.
To get the right amout of response, I have gapped my spark plugs down
to .40. After I got my IPP intake (which is awesome) I had to gap them
down again to .35 to keep my spaks jumping right.
LAST ONE.........
---------------------------------

Okay SRT Brothers,

Set Boost Control (the boost you want)
Gain control
Start Boost ( When you want the WG to open )
Boost warning
Boost Limit Control
PSI or KPA settings
Peak Boost ( Maximum boost recorded)

After the install and of course my lack of experience with the settings I was getting some mad up and down fluctuation not to mention I spiked passed 20 lbs a few times. This was not a good feeling. I spent about 3 hours of driving to figure out why I couldn't get steady boost. I was very frustrated as you could imagine.

So I just sat back and thought about how the turbo, WG, and everything else works and here is what I came up with:

You're set boost is in percentages i.e. 0% to 100%. 100% setting will boost to the maximum capabilities of the turbo and WG. 0% is no boost but what is set up stock form your WG. Oh by the way in case some of the newbees don't know, you will need a aftermarket WGA to use this system due to the weak spring in the stock WGA. Anyway, I set my low boost setting at 10% because my WGA is adjusted at 12lbs. My high boost setting is set 35%.

Gain setting at low setting is at 35 and my high setting is at 20.

Start boost is at 1.10 Kpa on both the high and low settings. For those of you that don't know about what boost would be in Kpa, I will give you a close translation. 155 kPa is about 15lbs of boost
or 1.55 kPa x 100 which is what the controller displays.

For the warning set it at 1.85kPa and this will display a red screen.

For the boost limiter setting, it also works in percentages. 0% is no limit and as you raise the percentages, this feature will lower your boost. I set mine at 5% for both the low and high boost settings. So if I so happen to spike up to 1.85kPa, then the limiter will back off the boost by 5%. Very cool feature.

So the end result was boosting at 18lbs and only dropping off 1 pound at redline. What a awesome difference. The car pulls so hard at 18lbs and with the 2 way remote and the way I have the settings set-up, I can slow down when the wastegate open and get awesome controllable launches at the low boost setting and once I'm in second gear, I hit the button and I jump from 14lbs of boost to 18lbs and it feels like I have a small shot of nitrous. Fricken awesome.

If anyone has this and want to share what there settings are please feel free:mcool:

im gonna go play with it now:mangel:

makavelibranded
08-03-2008, 12:56 PM
its set by off the psi gauge right now at 9.5 the warning never went off(set at 10.5) so theres no overboost its kicks in smoothly and holds to redline

previous settings were
set 17%
gain 10%
set gain 10

now its
set 18%
gain 13%
set gain 60

i did a 2nd gear pull boost starts to kick in at 3-4 a little bit then from then on it will pick up smoothly to 9.5 till rev limit

playap07
08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
good post!

Aug
08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
thanks for posting this, really helpful :mbiggrin:

thetunersource
08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
awesome post